Basketball Court - I said I was going for it

Really? On painting it? I would think there is some kind of sealant you put over the top. My research on it has been minimal since...30 days.

Slab is 4" thick. It's tough because yard pitches towards the baseline corner to the right of the hoop, where the catch basin is. So it's close to level closer to my house, an inch or two off the ground on the left side, and almost a full 4" out of the ground in the corner I mentioned. I guess I will just get some topsoil delivered and try to slope it a bit and plant some grass seed. This is my current thought unless anyone has a better idea?

The paved area will allow me to do a full 19'9 regulation HS arc all the way around the hoop with a minimum of 2' to spare. Not expecting a ton of broken ankles at least until my son is 15/16. 

We had one at an older house, at the time a local hoop/backboard seller/installer had "a guy" he used to paint the courts, I think the quote was low hundreds for them to do the work. You might try calling around and asking the hoop sellers. If it's cheap, let someone else do the work, the masking is annoying and they'll put some sort of guarantee on the paint adhesion.

Hard to tell from the pics, did they spray a curing coating on the concrete? Given its totally non-load-bearing purpose it probably doesn't matter, but you increase strength if you slow the cure, whether with a sprayed coating or with regular water wetting. When I poured my driveway I used sprinklers on interval timers to keep it wet for weeks. IF they sprayed a curing coating, you need to make sure to get the coating completely off before you paint, or adhesion will suck.

34 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

We had one at an older house, at the time a local hoop/backboard seller/installer had "a guy" he used to paint the courts, I think the quote was low hundreds for them to do the work. You might try calling around and asking the hoop sellers. If it's cheap, let someone else do the work, the masking is annoying and they'll put some sort of guarantee on the paint adhesion.

Hard to tell from the pics, did they spray a curing coating on the concrete? Given its totally non-load-bearing purpose it probably doesn't matter, but you increase strength if you slow the cure, whether with a sprayed coating or with regular water wetting. When I poured my driveway I used sprinklers on interval timers to keep it wet for weeks. IF they sprayed a curing coating, you need to make sure to get the coating completely off before you paint, or adhesion will suck.

No they didn't spray anything on it. Basically I was told to wait 30 days for that curing to occur before I paint it. I've been out of town for a week but it seems it has been storming/raining pretty often from what we've see on social media. 

Yeah I did buy that stencil kit off of amazon already. Like I mentioned above I do have to wait 30 days for it to cure before I can paint. I also do see that there is anti-slip additive you can buy to put into the paint. My thought was that I wanted to do use the stencil kit and paint the arc and the lines white, then paint the key like this. This is not current, but I like this design from ~ '12 better than the current one. 

I found these weird "lawn stencil" products. This would seem to be a lot easier than making my own. I'm going to poke around and see if there's any reason I couldn't use it on concrete. The sizes are right, as well. 

https://u-stencil.com/product/spartans/

https://u-stencil.com/product/spartan-helmet/

59366_10150239154570154_216043845153_147

The main thing I'm trying to figure out is if I lay the primer coat down first, then paint on top? It would seem like I would want something over the paint so that it doesn't wear off. Maybe a layer first, then paint, then another layer? 

Edited by Baboontyme