Talk to Me

austingirl

Saw it Friday with my 15-yo son - we both loved it. Tightly knit horror with fantastic acting, especially by the main actress, Sophie Wilde, and Miranda Otto. The directors are apparently YouTubers with a huge following, and this movie broke out when it was selected for Sundance.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, austingirl said:

Saw it Friday with my 15-yo son - we both loved it. Tightly knit horror with fantastic acting, especially by the main actress, Sophie Wilde, and Miranda Otto. The directors are apparently YouTubers with a huge following, and this movie broke out when it was selected for Sundance.

I mean this with sincerity: what a kick ass mom. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I mean this with sincerity: what a kick ass mom. 

Aww thanks. He got into Stephen King a few years back and he convinced me to rent the new It (both parts), even though I hated watching horror movies back then. Fast forward a few years and I don't draw the line at much, mainly gratuitous sex. The most awkward scene we've ever seen together is the sex scene in Beau is Afraid. And we saw Oppenheimer a few weeks ago. IYKYK.

• Hook 'Em 1

Interesting re: the directors. Chris Stuckmann is a big YouTube movie reviewer and recently wrapped filming on his debut horror film Shelby Oaks which he funded through viewers/kickstarter. Pretty cool that some of this non-traditional talent is getting a shot.

Aww thanks. He got into Stephen King a few years back and he convinced me to rent the new It (both parts), even though I hated watching horror movies back then. Fast forward a few years and I don't draw the line at much, mainly gratuitous sex. The most awkward scene we've ever seen together is the sex scene in Beau is Afraid. And we saw Oppenheimer a few weeks ago. IYKYK.

I saw Midsommar at the theater with my older daughter when she was 15. That was the most cringe experience I think we’ve had. Eesh.

BTW, as the single father to two horror movie loving daughters, I’m down to make a really f’d up Brady Bunch if you are.

10 hours ago, wutang75 said:

I saw Midsommar at the theater with my older daughter when she was 15. That was the most cringe experience I think we’ve had. Eesh.

Ha, that's the only Ari Aster movie we haven't watched together, because I don't want to watch that scene with him. At this point he's probably found a way to watch it online without me knowing, but that's fine. It's a good scene in the context of the movie. I just don't want to be there when he sees it. 

10 hours ago, wutang75 said:

BTW, as the single father to two horror movie loving daughters, I’m down to make a really f’d up Brady Bunch if you are.

That is an offer I would love to consider if I wasn't already married. To a Surly-er, no less. :)

Edited by austingirl
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just watched it, very good movie. Disturbing as hell. I thought one of metaphors present was drug addiction (parties, ritualistic use, escape from grief, chasing of a sensation, etc) so reading that the directors were partly inspired by seeing an overdose video made a lot of sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2023 at 10:36 PM, Helobious said:

Just watched it, very good movie. Disturbing as hell. I thought one of metaphors present was drug addiction (parties, ritualistic use, escape from grief, chasing of a sensation, etc) so reading that the directors were partly inspired by seeing an overdose video made a lot of sense.

I didn't know that, but yeah, it totally makes sense.

• 3 months later...