Texas Women’s Basketball 2023-2024: Handing out ass whoopins and lollipops, and we’re all out of lollipops

Pancho

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

ISU wins! tied for 2nd in the Big12 now for Texas, but OU has a commanding 2 game lead over the field.

@ WV

@ Cincy

Ok St

Texas

@ KU

Man. Conference race is going to come down to the final 2 games of the season, you can tell. Could end up a 2-3 way tie 

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas needs to win Saturday and in Norman. Those are the two biggest tests left.

OU has to defend home court against Texas and not slip up on the road at WV and at KU

KSU has UCF, WV, @ KU, ISU, @ Tech

I do see a very high probability of a three way tie for first with all 3 teams finishing 15-3. I have no fucking idea the tiebreakers with unbalanced schedules and I doubt the Big 12 will clarify, just like in football 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Texas needs to win Saturday and in Norman. Those are the two biggest tests left.

OU has to defend home court against Texas and not slip up on the road at WV and at KU

KSU has UCF, WV, @ KU, ISU, @ Tech

I do see a very high probability of a three way tie for first with all 3 teams finishing 15-3. I have no fucking idea the tiebreakers with unbalanced schedules and I doubt the Big 12 will clarify, just like in football 

I would assume Texas would win the tiebreaker if both Texas and WVU beat OU and all finish with three losses. Texas and OU would be 1-1 against each other, while Texas would be 1-0 against WVU, and WVU would be 1-0 against OU. This all assumes Texas wins out.

What's crazy is that if Texas wins out, but WVU doesn't beat OU, Texas may secure a 1-seed for the NCAA tournament without even winning their own conference.

Edited by MuellerHorn

10 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

I would assume Texas would win the tiebreaker if both Texas and WVU beat OU and all finish with three losses. Texas and OU would be 1-1 against each other, while Texas would be 1-0 against WVU, and WVU would be 1-0 against OU. This all assumes Texas wins out.

What's crazy is that if Texas wins out, but WVU doesn't beat OU, Texas may secure a 1-seed for the NCAA tournament without even winning their own conference.

At the moment, Texas has tiebreakers over WV and KU. We need things to go our way, but it’s likely we finish tied for 1st or in 2nd. 

And yes it is very possible to get a 1 seed without winning the Big 12 regular season, but does require some help from teams playing NCST, Iowa and Ohio State 

Good win last night. It was great to see Gaston play lights out. Wondering about Hadi. Not a peep from Vic and the reporters didn't ask about her in Monday's presser. Hope it's not a Kyndall Hunter situation where Hadi fades off into the distance without a proper goodbye. She's been really helpful to the team this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 86txex said:

Good win last night. It was great to see Gaston play lights out. Wondering about Hadi. Not a peep from Vic and the reporters didn't ask about her in Monday's presser. Hope it's not a Kyndall Hunter situation where Hadi fades off into the distance without a proper goodbye. She's been really helpful to the team this year. 

Yeah, it’s puzzling. 

11 minutes ago, 86txex said:

Hunter hasn't played at A&M due to a torn L Achilles tendon. I'm curious to see what happens with her playing career. I was very excited for her when she announced her commitment to Texas. 

On another note, Shay with another 40-minute game. What a workhorse.

Edited by MuellerHorn

2 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Hunter hasn't played at A&M due to a torn L Achilles tendon. I'm curious to see what happens with her playing career. I was very excited for her when she announced her commitment to Texas. 

Hunter hasn't played a collegiate minute since March 20, 2022. 

She was ranked #24.  Sure looks like a flameout, but it happens sometimes.  Rori was the real prize out of Cy Creek and even with her torn ACL, thank God she's here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Hunter hasn't played a collegiate minute since March 20, 2022. 

She was ranked #24.  Sure looks like a flameout, but it happens sometimes.  Rori was the real prize out of Cy Creek and even with her torn ACL, thank God she's here. 

Yep, that's what I was thinking... I just don't want to call it yet. However, I'd have to assume that injury will affect her athleticism.

Just now, MuellerHorn said:

Yep, that's what I was thinking... I just don't want to call it yet. However, I'd have to assume that injury will affect her athleticism.

That and not having played a single minute in 2 entire seasons.  That is just wild - I don't know if Joni Taylor can bank on someone who hasn't played since 2022 (at a different program) to be a difference maker. 

Feel bad for her, no doubt. We all had high hopes for her. 

Committee not giving us much respect

4 seeds - 13 KSU, 14 LSU, 15 Indiana, 16 Louisville

3 seeds - 9 USC, 10 Virginia Tech, 11 Oregon State, 12 UConn 

2 seeds - 5 Iowa, 6 NCST, 7 UCLA, 8 Texas

1 seeds - 1 SC, 2 Stanford, 3 Ohio State, 4 Colorado 

9 hours ago, 86txex said:

The issue with Hadi is she's the 4th best big. She's not better than Jones, Gaston, or Moore. 

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The issue with Hadi is she's the 4th best big. She's not better than Jones, Gaston, or Moore. 

Jones is our best big but Gaston + Moore is our best 4/5 combo 

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Jones is our best big but Gaston + Moore is our best 4/5 combo 

True. That doesn’t mitigate the fact that Hadi has played some valuable minutes over the course of this season, then poof, she’s gone. I find it odd.

#5/5 Texas (23-3, 10-3 Big 12) vs. Iowa State (14-9, 7-5 Big 12)
Saturday, Feb. 17 at 3:00 PM CT
Moody Center | Austin, Texas
TELEVISION: The game will be televised nationally on ESPN2. Alex Loeb (pxp) and Andrea Lloyd (analyst) will call the game.
RADIO: All women's basketball games will air in Austin on 103.1 FM
PINK GAME: On Saturday the Longhorns will wear pink and encourage fans to do the same in support of breast cancer awareness.  
    96-93 at home over Kansas State (No. 7/AP Poll) on February 14
    74-64 at home over West Virginia (No. 24/AP Poll) on January 10
    66-63 at home over Baylor (No. 21/AP Poll) on January 13
    69-61 at home over Kansas (No. 38) on January 3
    76-68 on the road over Oklahoma State (No. 54) on December 30
Iowa State Players to Watch
Crooks leads Iowa State in scoring and puts up 17.8 points and 7.6 rebounds per game. Emily Ryan paces the squad with 5.6 assists and averages 9.8 points, while Addy Brown leads the Cyclones with 8.4 rebounds per game and adds 13.3 points.  Hannah Belanger is a player to watch on the perimeter for Iowa State. She leads the Cyclones shooting attack, making 37 percent of her shots from beyond the arc while averaging 2.3 makes per game.
Addy Brown: 13.3 PTS, 8.4 REB, 5 AST, 47.7 FG%, 36.1 3PT% (35-for-97)
Audi Crooks: 17.8 PTS, 7.4 REB, 57.1 FG%, 33.3 3PT% (3-for-9)
Kelsey Joens: 6.1 PTS, 37.5 FG%, 38.8 3PT% (31-for-80)
Hannah Belanger: 9 PTS, 37.3 FG%, 37.4 3PT% (52-for-139)
Emily Ryan: 9.8 PTS, 5.6 AST, 1.3 STL, 46.7 FG%, 32.1 3PT% (9-for-28)
vs Southern               W 78-60
vs Vanderbilt             L 68-53
vs Syracuse               L 81-69

@ St Thomas (MN)   W 85-44
vs UNC Wilmington   W 85-58

vs 4 Iowa                    L 67-58
vs N Dakota St          W 89-59
vs Troy                      W 105-68
vs Northern Iowa     W 87-70
@ Oklahoma St        W 76-68
vs Kansas                W 69-61
@ BYU                      W 80-75
vs 24 West Virginia  W 74-64
vs 4 Baylor               W 66-63

@ Texas Tech          L 71-63
vs TCU                    W Forfeit
@ Kansas                 L 60-58
@ 24 West Virginia  L 84-78

vs Oklahoma St       W 78-67
@ UCF                      L 71-66
vs 24 Oklahoma      L 86-72

vs 7 Kansas St        W 96-93

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Js1 said:

Committee not giving us much respect

4 seeds - 13 KSU, 14 LSU, 15 Indiana, 16 Louisville

3 seeds - 9 USC, 10 Virginia Tech, 11 Oregon State, 12 UConn 

2 seeds - 5 Iowa, 6 NCST, 7 UCLA, 8 Texas

1 seeds - 1 SC, 2 Stanford, 3 Ohio State, 4 Colorado 

we are probably getting a small bit of an "FSU" treatment with Rory being out(even though we've proven very good without her) and I guess Big 12 is not getting much respect either since OU is leading the conf.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, 86txex said:

True. That doesn’t mitigate the fact that Hadi has played some valuable minutes over the course of this season, then poof, she’s gone. I find it odd.

Someone went to the WBB luncheon yesterday and kindly reported on another site:

Faye: No injury, requested time away from the team to deal with personal issues. Vic left the impression that nobody knows, including him.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we are probably getting a small bit of an "FSU" treatment with Rory being out(even though we've proven very good without her) and I guess Big 12 is not getting much respect either since OU is leading the conf.

Colorado is a huge outlier on the 1 seed line and Texas/UConn are getting seriously hosed, just based on NET.  Louisville is also getting a lot of love.  

Colorado is getting a 1 seed early because they have wins over LSU, Utah, Stanford and USC.  They have losses to Oregon State (x2), NCST, UCLA. 
Texas is the last 2 seed early with a non-conf win over UConn and wins over K-State, Baylor, WV.  Losses to Baylor, K-State, OU. 
Ohio State is getting a lot of love for the Iowa win but they have a loss to #48 Michigan

1 seeds - 1 SC (1), 2 Stanford (2), 3 Ohio State (8), 4 Colorado (15)
2 seeds - 5 Iowa (5), 6 NCST (10), 7 UCLA (6), 8 Texas (4)
3 seeds - 9 USC (16), 10 VT (17), 11 Oregon State (18), 12 UConn (3)
4 seeds - 13 KSU (14), 14 LSU (9), 15 Indiana (12), 16 Louisville (22)

Those are really the main two I have issues with.  I'm fine with us being a 2 - I just don't think we are the last 2 seed.  Our worst loss is #28.  Iowa has a loss to #33, NCST has a loss to #43, UCLA has a loss to #24.

The moral of the story of the first reveal - your good wins matter more than your bad losses. 

And yeah, Big 12 is not getting respect because OU is leading it and is is #28 in NET.  Things may look different after the next 5 games.  

Edited by Js1