Texas Women’s Basketball 2023-2024: Handing out ass whoopins and lollipops, and we’re all out of lollipops

Pancho

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Physical game.  In 4th qtr, Texas offense was struggling to score along with too many turnovers.

Good win...

Lots of 4th qtr film for Texas to watch and learn from.  Vic will be on them about closing games better...

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Damn good coaching job by Vic. Lost Harmon and still remarkably in the mix for #1 seed. 

In the mix, yeah. But I think realistically we should still be in the solid 2 seed convo. Our NET is so high. But we can’t blow any winnable games and really need to beat one of OU/ISU. The rest of our schedule is pretty nice:

@TCU, @UH, ISU, Tech, @UCF, @OU, BYU

Really just one really dangerous game (at OU) and one so-so game (ISU, but it’s in Austin)

Should go 6-1 to finish the schedule

Team is off until Saturday 

32 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Damn great job by Vic and the staff these last 2 games 

No Faye and Gaston at like 60-70% healthy + Shaylee in a slump + 0 points from Holle all week = 2 wins in Waco versus #13 and at home versus #2

Booker, Moore and Jones are holding this team together. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh and another 40 minute game from Holle. She’s like the Brock Cunningham of the women’s team. She may not fill the box score, but she does all the little things 

My daughter's favorite player. She plays middle school basketball and we have talked a lot about Shay’s game and that even though she’s not the superstar she’s invaluable especially on defense.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No Faye and Gaston at like 60-70% healthy + Shaylee in a slump + 0 points from Holle all week = 2 wins in Waco versus #13 and at home versus #2

Booker, Moore and Jones are holding this team together. 

Great game. Such respect for the team to battle adversity and find ways to win. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

We're playing so much tougher since Vic's tongue lashing after OU. That message evidently was taken to heart. 

The team started playing Baby Billy’s Bible Bonkers and since then….

Yum Yum Chefs Kiss GIF by Nick Jonas

On 1/27/2024 at 2:09 PM, Js1 said:

Jesus. Christ. What is happening with our S&C!?!

On 1/27/2024 at 2:13 PM, 86txex said:

Fire Zach Zillner. The number of injuries is ridiculous.

On 1/27/2024 at 2:56 PM, Js1 said:

Gonna be a lot more injuries with that attitude. We can’t play the starters 40mpg

On 1/27/2024 at 3:16 PM, TommysTinyTowels said:

Yes.

They mentioned the lengthy practices as well. This team looks tired.

On 1/27/2024 at 10:07 PM, someguy said:

It is more this...

...than this.

Vic is old school and doesn't want to change.

Yeah Vic hates not practicing more and harder:   He talks about having to go  easier in practice on Friday due to injuries and protecting their health.   But like mentioned above by @TommysTinyTowels @someguy and @Js1  Vic hates not practicing more so team can get better. (14min mark)

This is a really good video after today's Kstate game.  Players and Vic were great. 🤘

Vic was a little unhappy with turnovers and struggles getting ball to bigs down low.  But Vic sees a lot more upside potential for this team -- he prides himself in seeing his teams really improve as a season goes along.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

We play OU one more time, but wont play KSU or WVU in the regular season. We need help to win the Big12 but we’re in a good position if any of the teams ahead of us slip up 

Remaining schedules of the top 5 teams:

OU: TCU, @ISU, Baylor, @WV, Cincinnati, OSU, Texas, @Kansas
KSU: OSU, @ISU, UCF, WV, @KU, ISU, @Tech
WV: Tech, @Baylor, @TCU, OU, @KSU, Baylor, @OSU, TCU
Texas: @TCU, @UH, ISU, Tech, @UCF, @OU, BYU
ISU: OU, KSU, @Texas, @UH, BYU, @KSU, Cincinnati

Texas has the easiest schedule remaining - 2 games versus the top 5 of the conference (1 home, 1 road) and 4 games against the bottom 4 teams.  Texas had a more front-loaded schedule considering we have played Baylor twice, KSU twice, @ Tech, @ WV, KU, @ OSU and hosted OU.  Texas has only played, so far, 2 games against the bottom of the conference (Cincinnati and TCU).  Our schedule gets exceptionally easy on the backend. 

OU has to play ISU, WV, Texas, Baylor, Kansas (3 games left against the top 5 and two more mid-pack teams) and only 1 bottom of the conference team
KSU has to play ISU twice, KU, WV and go to Lubbock (3 games left against the top 5 and two more mid-pack teams) and only 1 bottom of the conference team 
WV has to play Baylor twice, OU, at KSU and go to Stillwater (2 games left against the top 5 and 4 against mid-pack teams) and only 1 bottom of the conference team
ISU has to play OU, @ Texas, and KSU twice (4 games left against the top 5 and 3 against the bottom teams)

For reference, OU has already played UCF, BYU, Cincinnati (their first 3 Big 12 games) and UH.  They now get the tougher portion of their schedule.  KSU has played Cincinnati, UH, UCF (Their first 3 games), TCU was a forfeit and BYU. 

Both ISU and KSU got free wins against TCU's forfeit. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Besides getting the entire week off until Saturday, TCU still doesn't have Sedona Prince back.  They only played 7 players against Kansas on Saturday (6 players got 26+ min and the 7th got 1 minute).  They play OU on Wednesday before hosting us on Saturday, so Texas should be rested and deep compared to TCU. Sedona has been out since January 6, so even if she is miraculously back by Saturday, she won't have played for 4+ weeks. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Pancho said:

2 seed in Crème’s last projection. I don’t like that he has us paired with Souf Carolina though.

I have no issues with any of his 1 seeds. SC, Stanford, Iowa, NC State.

I think a Texas team that wins the Big 12 and finishes with 30 wins could be in the conversation (27 or 28 regular season wins + 2-3 Big 12 tournament wins) if someone slips up. I don’t see SC being knocked of that 1 line 

NC State still plays Louisville, VT, ND, UNC, Syracuse

Stanford only Has 1 tough game left (Beavers)

Iowa has Indiana and OSU still

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I have no issues with any of his 1 seeds. SC, Stanford, Iowa, NC State.

I think a Texas team that wins the Big 12 and finishes with 30 wins could be in the conversation (27 or 28 regular season wins + 2-3 Big 12 tournament wins) if someone slips up. I don’t see SC being knocked of that 1 line 

NC State still plays Louisville, VT, ND, UNC, Syracuse

Stanford only Has 1 tough game left (Beavers)

Iowa has Indiana and OSU still

Oh definitely,  I don’t mind his 1 seeds at all. I’m just saying if we are going to be a 2, I prefer it wasn’t paired with Souf Carolina as the 1 since they are the strongest 1.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Oh definitely,  I don’t mind his 1 seeds at all. I’m just saying if we are going to be a 2, I prefer it wasn’t paired with Souf Carolina as the 1 since they are the strongest 1.

I agree. I’d like to be paired with Stanford or NC State. I don’t trust our defense against Clark, we have a tendency to leave shooters wide fucking open 

Just now, 86txex said:

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll

Up to #7 in the AP poll. Kansas State drops to 8. 

I figured we were due for a jump beating 2 ranked teams, including #2, and some top 10 teams having a rough week. OU now ranked again, so the Big 12’s current leader isn’t an unranked team anymore lol

Edited by Js1

I love Holle's effort and obviously Vic is as good of a defensive coach as there is.  But...why doesn't Holle get down in a stance when guarding people of the perimeter?  She stands straight up.   She gives up too many blow-by's for how good of an athlete she is.   

Edited by ClubWhatever

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Jak is an important player because we lack athleticism on the perimeter defensively at the guard position with no Harmon. We need Jak and Holle to guard the best players on the perimeter with their length/athleticism.  

Jak still looks uncertain at times but she was much needed for depth and defense. I was really glad to see Vic trust her the last three games and he was rewarded with a bonus solid offensive game as well; Mwenentanda in three games going 8 for 13 from the field for 19 points, 5 boards and 3 assists. (Averaging 15 minutes per game)
The more he plays her the better she'll get.

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I love Holle's effort and obviously Vic is as good of a defensive coach as there is.  But...why doesn't Holle get down in a stance when guarding people of the perimeter?  She stands straight up.   She gives up too many blow-by's for how good of an athlete she is.   

Against K-State this was almost certainly by design.

K-State (without Lee) beats teams from the 3 point line. The entire defensive gameplan was to force them to drive with our size inside.  

22 hours ago, 86txex said:

Madison does it again.

In conference only stats, since that is when Rori went out and how Big 12 awards should be determined:

3rd in FG made
2nd in FT made
2nd in points
2nd in PPG
14th in RPG (as a guard)
7th in FG%
1st in FT%
3rd in assists and APG
14th in steals

• Hook 'Em 3

Saturday:
Baylor needs to beat WV in Waco to knock WV into the 3-loss teams with us
KSU hosts OSU - KSU should win easily
Texas goes to shorthanded TCU - should win easily
ISU needs to beat OU in Ames to knock OU into the 2-loss teams with KSU

Big 12 has 3 teams with 20+ wins already and none of the 3 are leading the conference

• Hook 'Em 2

Well, I did not have Baylor getting they ass beat in Provo last night. They lost by 12 to a barely above .500 team. 

They're turning on Nicki in Waco.  Have lost 5 of their last 8 since starting 14-0 and 3-0 in Big 12 play. And let's be real, they got very lucky to face us in the first game after we got news on Rori's ACL. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Slow natural regression to the mean after shithead left. 

It was always going to happen.  

Texas after Jody
Tenn after Summitt
aggy after Blair

We are now seeing it in Waco.  We'll see it eventually at UConn and Stanford. 

Nicki actually runs a pretty fun, wide-open offense. And this is only her 3rd year and 2nd full recruiting class. The Big 12 is a very good conference - every team in the top 102 in NET (even SEC has Kentucky at 160).  I mean, I don't wish nice things for Baylor, but Nicki is a class act and very complimentary of Texas/Vic, which also draws the ire of the Wacko cultists.  They will eventually run her off back to the WNBA and continue to wander the desert. 

The SEC is only going to get better with Texas/OU, and the B1G/ACC are adding UCLA, USC, Stanford.  The new tier of WCBB will be ACC, SEC, B1G, Big 12.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

It was always going to happen.  

Texas after Jody
Tenn after Summitt
aggy after Blair

We are now seeing it in Waco.  We'll see it eventually at UConn and Stanford. 

Nicki actually runs a pretty fun, wide-open offense. And this is only her 3rd year and 2nd full recruiting class. The Big 12 is a very good conference - every team in the top 102 in NET (even SEC has Kentucky at 160).  I mean, I don't wish nice things for Baylor, but Nicki is a class act and very complimentary of Texas/Vic, which also draws the ire of the Wacko cultists.  They will eventually run her off back to the WNBA and continue to wander the desert. 

The SEC is only going to get better with Texas/OU, and the B1G/ACC are adding UCLA, USC, Stanford.  The new tier of WCBB will be ACC, SEC, B1G, Big 12.

Tech after Sharp.

Yeah, Coach Collen is aces, I wish her all the best.  But Baylor can burn to the ground.

• Hook 'Em 1

#7/8 Texas (21-3, 8-3 Big 12) vs. TCU (15-7, 2-9 Big 12)
Saturday, Feb. 10 at 4:00 PM CT
Schollmaier Arena | Fort Worth, Texas
TELEVISION: The game will be on ESPN+. John Liddle (pxp) and Jada Curtis (analyst) will call the game.
RADIO: All women's basketball games will air in Austin on 103.1 FM

TCU Schedule Analysis
The Horned Frogs defeated the Nebraska Cornhuskers on November 25 -- their best win of the season.
When facing Quadrant 2 opponents, TCU is 0-4 (.000%)
TCU Leaders
Sedona Prince: 21.2 PTS, 10.6 REB, 3.3 BLK, 57.3 FG%, 33.3 3PT% (3-for-9) Did not play Wednesday.
Madison Conner: 21 PTS, 1.3 STL, 40.3 FG%, 40.3 3PT% (73-for-181)
Agnes Emma-Nnopu: 10.2 PTS, 7.1 REB, 1.2 STL, 42.3 FG%, 35.9 3PT% (37-for-103)
Aaliyah Roberson: 8.1 PTS, 57.3 FG%, 40 3PT% (22-for-55)
Jaden Owens: 7.9 PTS, 6.8 AST, 37.1 FG%, 25.5 3PT% (13-for-51)
TCU Performance Insights
The Horned Frogs are posting 76.9 points per game at home. Away from home, they are averaging 59.2 points per contest.
Defensively, TCU has played better in home games this season, giving up 54.6 points per game, compared to 72.6 in road games.
On offense, the Horned Frogs have had a hard time putting the ball in the basket over their last 10 games, scoring 66.3 points per contest

TCU Regular Season
vs Oral Roberts         W 76-56
vs TAMU-Kingsville  W 86-48
vs Rice                      W 67-42
vs Incarnate Word   W 61-55
vs Army                   W 88-51
vs UTEP                  W 85-56
vs Nebraska           W 88-81
vs Tulsa                  W 82-50
vs Abilene Chrstn   W 77-60
vs Prairie View        W 85-41
vs Lamar                  W 68-51