Texas Women’s Basketball 2023-2024: Handing out ass whoopins and lollipops, and we’re all out of lollipops

Pancho

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Non-conf is out:

Midwestern State (exhibition) - 11/2
Southern - 11/8
Liberty - 11/12
UT Arlington - 11/14
Louisiana Tech - 11/19
ASU (St. Thomas, USVI) - 11/23
High Point (St. Thomas, USVI) - 11/24
USF (St. Thomas, USVI) - 11/25
Oral Roberts - 11/29
UConn - 12/3
Long Beach State - 12/6
@ Arizona - 12/13 
@ UTRGV - 12/20
Jackson St. - 12/27

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

People really posted some hot takes not that long ago (not here) that Vic was done/washed up because of last year and he couldn't recruit at an elite level anymore for us to compete in the SEC.  Where he was pretty damn successful as a head coach lol.  Never mind we didn't have Rori for the first month, lost Moore halfway through the year, went the last month of the season and tournament without Sonya Morris, plus injuries to some bench players in February/March. 

Was just that kind of year where everything goes wrong. 

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

People really posted some hot takes not that long ago (not here) that Vic was done/washed up because of last year and he couldn't recruit at an elite level anymore for us to compete in the SEC.  Where he was pretty damn successful as a head coach lol.  Never mind we didn't have Rori for the first month, lost Moore halfway through the year, went the last month of the season and tournament without Sonya Morris, plus injuries to some bench players in February/March. 

Was just that kind of year where everything goes wrong. 

It was @BurntOrange&White.

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

That’s an early game against Baylor

We've got that Dec 3rd game against Uconn as well, at least we play them here this year.

No clue how this team is going to do, we have a number of very good experienced players and Booker looks legit, but we never addressed the
shooting and back-up ball handling.

Just now, TommysTinyTowels said:

We've got that Dec 3rd game against Uconn as well, at least we play them here this year.

No clue how this team is going to do, we have a number of very good experienced players and Booker looks legit, but we never addressed the
shooting and back-up ball handling.

Bigger question to me are when Maul and Moore will be ready to play 

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas is #10 in The Athletic's Top 25

1 LSU
2 UConn
3 UCLA
4 South Carolina
5 Utah

10 Texas
20 Baylor

Teams in consideration: Arizona, KSU

Not a particular challenging schedule, tbh.  Host top 5 UConn, play top 20 Baylor twice, play RV KSU twice and Arizona once.  

Madi Williams and Taylor Roberson are finally gone for OU. Ashley Joens is FINALLY graduated and ISU lost Donarksi, Miller-McGraw, Fritz and Kane to the portal.  Chatzileonti is gone from KU, but they are always a challenge with Kersgieter and Taiyanna Jackson.  OSU brought in Chandler Prater from KU and Garzon has given us trouble.  The Sand Witch lost her daughter, Bre'Amber Scott and Veitenheimer.  Baylor loses Jaden Owens, Asberry and Bickle, but do bring back Andrews, Littlepage-Buggs and get Blackwell back from injury, as well as adding Danae Fritz from ISU. 

I think KSU will be our biggest threat to a Big 12 title - sorry Baylor.  Ayoka Lee, Sundell, Gregory and Glenn are all back.  But man if Vic hasn't schemed around Ayoka Lee so damn well, and now we have four 6'4 players (Herron, Muhammad, Faye, Jones) and 6'2 Gaston to counter her. 

And as for the newcomers - they fucking sucked in the AAC/WCC, so I don't think they'll do much in the Big 12 and be fighting TCU, Tech and WV for bottom of the conference. 

UH was 15-16 last year
BYU was 16-17
UCF was 14-15
Cincinnati was 9-21

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Looks like she visited this weekend. 

Was a good weekend for recruits. She’s a top priority as the PG of the future when Rori is gone 

We hosted 2024 recruit Jordan Lee, 2025 recruits Chavez (#1), Dee Alexander (#4) and Aaliyah Crump (#6), as well as 2026ers Addison Bjorn (#8), Jacy Abii (#9) and unranked Amayah Garcia 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

PRESEASON AWARDS;

Preseason Big 12 POY: Rori Harmon, Texas
Preseason Newcomer of the Year: Jada Walker, Baylor
Preseason Freshman of the Year: Madison Booker, Texas

Rori and Gaston are Preseason All Big 12 and Shaylee and Moore are Preseason Honorable Mention.  Rori was a unanimous selection

• Hook 'Em 1

Also based on Blair's tweet yesterday, Texas may be in for some good news when 2024 PG Bryanna Preston (HoopGurlz #43) announces on Saturday.  Would give Texas three players in the top 50 heading into SEC play in 2024-25.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Big 12 Preseason Poll - Texas received 12/14 first place votes.  I bet Gerlich picked Baylor, as well as Vic, since he can't pick Texas

1. Texas (12)
Baylor (2)
Kansas
Kansas State
OU
Iowa State
Ok State
WV
TCU
Texas Tech
BYU
Houston
Cincinnati
UCF

On 10/4/2023 at 2:49 PM, Js1 said:

Also based on Blair's tweet yesterday, Texas may be in for some good news when 2024 PG Bryanna Preston (HoopGurlz #43) announces on Saturday.  Would give Texas three players in the top 50 heading into SEC play in 2024-25.

Bryanna Preston chooses Texas. Horns get two in the top 10 and 3 in the top 50 for the 2024 class. Guess Vic can recruit 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Texas is probably done in terms of 2024 recruiting - we have 3 coming in and Shaylee being 100% gone after this year. Holle, Faye and Gaston are in their senior seasons, but they do have 1 season left if they want it due to COVID. Taylor Jones is using her COVID year this year, but she should also be eligible for a Medical RS year (I think?) if she wants it for 2024-2025, as she only played 9 games in 2021-22 at Oregon State.  

We have 3 openings right now for 2024-25, assuming Graves' scholarship was just for a year with the extra ship we had open.  So all of Jones, Holle, Faye and Gaston can't come back unless someone else exits and that gives us no room for the portal. 

I could see one of Gaston/Faye moving on (to real life or to play somewhere for grad school) and maybe Holle heading out to real life as well - Jak, Amina, Booker and Lee all need that time at the wing position.  I hope Jones comes back if she can use a medical RS. 

2024-25:

Rori - Senior
Moore - Senior (will also be medical RS eligible)
Jak - Jr
Amina - Jr
Maul - RS So
Codio - RS So
Booker - So
Herron - So
Boutilier - So
Preston - Fr
Carlton - Fr
Lee - Fr
??
??
??

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Haley Cavinder is in the portal to play in 2024-25. She’s a pretty good 3 point shooter. I bet she’d love Austin for NIL purposes 

I thought her and her sister decided to quit basketball to focus on other ventures. If she’s still mentally committed to basketball then yes she could be a solid addition as long as we don’t stub our toe in a recruiting violation like Miami did

57 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I thought her and her sister decided to quit basketball to focus on other ventures. If she’s still mentally committed to basketball then yes she could be a solid addition as long as we don’t stub our toe in a recruiting violation like Miami did

Something about WWE. Maybe they decided to do things together and Haley decided it wasn’t for her and she wanted to finish her eligibility 

On 10/10/2023 at 8:36 AM, Js1 said:

Texas is probably done in terms of 2024 recruiting - we have 3 coming in and Shaylee being 100% gone after this year. Holle, Faye and Gaston are in their senior seasons, but they do have 1 season left if they want it due to COVID. Taylor Jones is using her COVID year this year, but she should also be eligible for a Medical RS year (I think?) if she wants it for 2024-2025, as she only played 9 games in 2021-22 at Oregon State.  

We have 3 openings right now for 2024-25, assuming Graves' scholarship was just for a year with the extra ship we had open.  So all of Jones, Holle, Faye and Gaston can't come back unless someone else exits and that gives us no room for the portal. 

I could see one of Gaston/Faye moving on (to real life or to play somewhere for grad school) and maybe Holle heading out to real life as well - Jak, Amina, Booker and Lee all need that time at the wing position.  I hope Jones comes back if she can use a medical RS. 

2024-25:

Rori - Senior
Moore - Senior (will also be medical RS eligible)
Jak - Jr
Amina - Jr
Maul - RS So
Codio - RS So
Booker - So
Herron - So
Boutilier - So
Preston - Fr
Carlton - Fr
Lee - Fr
??
??
??

Thanks for compiling that for us, much appreciated.

6 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Thanks for compiling that for us, much appreciated.

My guess is Holle and Gaston move on after the season. Tbh I’m surprised almost every game that Gaston is still here. She and Vic seem to have a very contentious relationship. He coaches her so hard and she does seem to take things a bit personal. But credit to her that she has stuck it out 

• Hook 'Em 2

#13 in the AP poll and #14 in the coaches poll

Baylor is 19th in the AP poll with KSU, KU and ISU receiving votes
Baylor is 20th in the coaches poll, OU is 23rd with ISU, KSU, Kansas receiving votes

The AP poll hates OU 

UConn is #2 in both polls, USF is RV in the coaches poll, Arizona is RV in both polls.  

4 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Damn it!

Was hoping for an injury free year this year. Truly sucks. 
They think it might be a sprained ankle, MRI tomorrow  (Danny Davis)

Yeah not a great omen when we can’t get out of our first public scrimmage injury free. We haven’t even started the exhibitions yet! Smh

• Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Damn it!

Was hoping for an injury free year this year. Truly sucks. 
They think it might be a sprained ankle, MRI tomorrow  (Danny Davis)

Ankle would be a hell of a lot better than a knee.

Someone from Hornfans:

Gonzales - more confident 3 point shooter. starter for sure.
Harmon - same as before. taking more pull-up jumpers. must have been an emphasis on the coaching staff. But sometimes, there was no one ahead of her to pass to anyway.
Gaston - Ugh
Herron - Dressed but didn't play. I'm pretty sure the coaches told her she wasn't going to even enter the game.
Holle - same Shay. scorer and defender. but she was getting a couple of fouls called on her
Codio - took over point in the 4th and Vic was in his "teaching mode". She wouldn't do something right and Vic would be pointing at a part of the court he wanted to make a play or a decision at. Was sloppy with the ball, having it taken from her or making a pass that got stolen. massive hardware (bracing) on her right leg. Vic finally got tired of it and made Booker play PG the last 4 minutes of the 4th
Muhammad - quiet, but got some points in
Faye - playing MUCH better under the bucket. So many times last year she would be under the bucket and just throw up a ball thinking it HAD to go in and missing. More patience and more buckets in her second year
Maul - Not too bad. For having another massive brace on her leg, did well as PG for periods of time.
Moore - on the bench, but not even dressed to play. I don't think Vic will play her until 2024
Graves - I'm not sure....was she even there?
Mwenentanda - played okay. better than a confused freshman, but not going to be a starting 5
Booker - Think of her as a slightly skinnier Moore. active defense and can contort her body to lay the ball into the bucket for the ball. with Moore out for a bit longer, Booker will be a starter
Jones - played much, much better under the basket. Like Faye, better concentration under the bucket
Boutilier - like Herron, dressed but with no expectation by them that they were ever going into the scrimmage.

I'm quite confident our first starting lineup will be Harmon-Gonzales-Holle-Booker-Jones (depending on Gaston's ankle). 

No expectation of Boutilier playing as a freshman and also don't think we will see AMo until the start of Big 12 play. 

On 10/24/2023 at 11:09 AM, Pancho said:

#19 in espn’s preseason rankings. Baylor is 14th

It feels like we should be ranked way higher than 19th in the nation.
We have a number of good, experienced players along with one great player and a great coach.
We return most of our starting lineup and have added some good, although not experienced young players.
(Booker looks to be a stud.)

The questions are:
1. Do we have players to fill every need
and
2. How healthy are we.

Sure, LSU could kick our ass, but are there 18 better teams really?

8 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

It feels like we should be ranked way higher than 19th in the nation.
We have a number of good, experienced players along with one great player and a great coach.
We return most of our starting lineup and have added some good, although not experienced young players.
(Booker looks to be a stud.)

The questions are:
1. Do we have players to fill every need
and
2. How healthy are we.

Sure, LSU could kick our ass, but are there 18 better teams really?

We are 13 and 14 in the AP and Coaches poll. 

Baylor is 19th and 20th.

It's almost like ESPN flipped us and Baylor by accident. 

• Hook 'Em 1