Texas Women’s Basketball 2023-2024: Handing out ass whoopins and lollipops, and we’re all out of lollipops

Pancho

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Shaylee, Rori, Madison, Gisella, Shay - we can finally put more than just 1 or 2 capable shooters on the floor to try and hit from deep.  Granted, not the best night last night from most of them from deep, but 22 offensive boards.   Maul in particular - 3-5 from deep! 

We actually only had 11 turnovers.  It felt like far more.  But encouraging - yes, it was Southern, but only 28 minutes for Rori. If we can keep her in a sweet 28-33 mpg type of season, she will be far more effective by the time we hit March. 

Yeah, I was bummed previously and thought Vic made a mistake by not signing a shooter and someone to back-up Rori at point, but Booker and Maul both look very poised as freshman and are willing and capable of shooting the three. Both can bring the ball up and Rori had 9 assists, Madison 7 and Gisella 2.

Honestly it took me a moment to realize Rori wasn’t on the floor at times, couldn’t have said that last year. 

We are so deep I’m having trouble figuring out rotations.

Thoughts on starting line-ups and first subs?

• Hook 'Em 1

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Yeah, I was bummed previously and thought Vic made a mistake by not signing a shooter and someone to back-up Rori at point, but Booker and Maul both look very poised as freshman and are willing and capable of shooting the three. Both can bring the ball up and Rori had 9 assists, Madison 7 and Gisella 2.

Honestly it took me a moment to realize Rori wasn’t on the floor at times, couldn’t have said that last year. 

We are so deep I’m having trouble figuring out rotations.

Thoughts on starting line-ups and first subs?

No idea. It will change once Gaston is back. And then once Moore is back, hard to keep her out of the starting lineup

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Jones is our best big but seems like Vic prefers when she comes off the bench. 

Yeah, once Gaston is back, I would probably think it’s Rori-Shaylee-Madison-Gaston-Faye with Shay, Maul, Amina and Jones first off the bench. 

Once A-Mo is back, by season’s end, I could see it being Rori-Shaylee-Madison-AMo-Faye or Gaston 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

I think our prime directive all year will be to get it inside to Jones, which we have seen them try to do in our first two games. Stay healthy Taylor.

Jones is our best big. I almost don’t mind bringing her off the bench so we get a feel for the game and officiating. Easiest way to prevent her from picking up a bad foul or two early. 

4 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Iowa State lost to Drake by 12 today. Iowa will probably be ranked #1 in the AP on Monday.

Iowa State lost a ton from last year's team and their best player (Emily Ryan) is out indefinitely for some reason. I'm not sure Iowa State is even a top half Big 12 team this year. 

Damn the AP poll went cray cray

Texas moved up 2 spots to #11

SC moved up 5 spots to #1 (they did utterly destroy ranked ND and MD)
Iowa is now #2
UCLA is #3
Utah is #4
COLORADO (!!) moved up 15 spots to #5

Stanford moved up 9 spots to #6 after destroying Indiana
LSU down 6 spots to #7
UConn does 6 spots to #8
USC up 11 spots to #10
FSU up 6 spots to #12
Ohio State down 6 spots to #13
NC State unranked to #14
Indiana down 9 spots to #18
Maryland down 6 spots to #20
Ole Miss down 11 spots to #23
OU enters the poll

Some crazy swings! Colorado is getting big credit for beating LSU, Stanford for beating Indiana, USC for beating Ohio State, NC State for beating UConn and LSU/UConn/Indiana/Ole Miss got punished, 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Damn the AP poll went cray cray

Texas moved up 2 spots to #11

SC moved up 5 spots to #1 (they did utterly destroy ranked ND and MD)
Iowa is now #2
UCLA is #3
Utah is #4
COLORADO (!!) moved up 15 spots to #5

Stanford moved up 9 spots to #6 after destroying Indiana
LSU down 6 spots to #7
UConn does 6 spots to #8
USC up 11 spots to #10
FSU up 6 spots to #12
Ohio State down 6 spots to #13
NC State unranked to #14
Indiana down 9 spots to #18
Maryland down 6 spots to #20
Ole Miss down 11 spots to #23
OU enters the poll

Some crazy swings! Colorado is getting big credit for beating LSU, Stanford for beating Indiana, USC for beating Ohio State, NC State for beating UConn and LSU/UConn/Indiana/Ole Miss got punished, 

Wow!

In the days of so much player movement, in an early poll after some surprising results I guess this should not be unexpected. Pretty fun actually, and any poll that drops Kim down 6 spots has my full endorsement.

Texas at #11 feels about right.

"It's why we play the games"

#11 Texas (2-0, 0-0 Big 12) vs. UT Arlington (0-2, 0-0 WAC)

Tuesday, November 14, 2023 – 7:00 p.m. Central

Moody Center – Austin, Texas 

TELEVISION: The game will be televised nationally by Longhorn Network. Alex Loeb (pxp) and Andrea Lloyd (analyst) will call the action. 

RADIO: All women's basketball games will air in Austin on 103.1 FM, along with the web streams on TexasSports.com and the Longhorn App. Craig Way (pxp) and Kathy Harston (analyst) will call the action. 

SERIES: Texas leads the all-time series 11-0.  

Notables

• GONZALES CAREER SCORING: Shaylee Gonzales knows how to put the ball in the basket. Gonzales has scored 2,025 career points, which ranks fifth among all active women's DI college basketball players. 

• HARMON TOP 10: In the win over Liberty on Sunday, Rori Harmon moved into the top-10 in program history in career assists. Harmon now has 422 assists for her career. 

• MUHAMMAD COMING UP BIG: Sophomore Amina Muhammad is averaging 14 points and 10.5 rebounds per game. Muhammad, a selection on the Big 12 All-Freshman Team in 2023, ranks seventh in the country in offensive rebounds per game this season with 6.5 per game. 

• HOME OPENER: Texas got the season off to a good start with an 80-35 win over Southern on Wednesday. Taylor Jones (19 points and 12 rebounds) and Amina Muhammad (14 points and 14 rebounds) each registered double-doubles for Texas. Rori Harmon had a complete game with eight points, nine assists, seven rebounds and four steals. The Longhorns grabbed 22 offensive rebounds and only gave up five, holding a 24-0 advantage in second chance points. UT held a 30-3 advantage in points off turnovers as they forced Southern into 22 turnovers. 

• NO. 1 RECRUITING CLASS: On Wednesday the Longhorns signed what ESPN.Com has ranked as the No. 1 recruiting class in the country. The Horns are the only school in the country with two top-10 signees. 

• IN THE MOOD: The Longhorns begin season two in the Moody Center. Texas posted a 15-3 mark in the first season of Moody Center. The Longhorns ranked 12th in the NCAA in average attendance per home game in the 2022-23 season. 

• 2023 BIG 12 CHAMPIONS: The Longhorns finished the 2022-23 season with a 26-10 overall record and 14-4 mark in conference play as they claimed the Big 12 regular season championship, their first since 2004. Head Coach Vic Schaefer was named Big 12 Coach of the Year. 

• PRESEASON HONORS: Texas point guard Rori Harmon was picked by the conference coaches as the Big 12 Preseason Player of the Year and Madison Booker was selected as the Big 12 Preseason Freshman of the Year. Harmon and DeYona Gaston earned spots on the Preseason All-Big 12 Team and Shaylee Gonzales and Aaliyah Moore earned preseason honorable mention All-Big 12 selections.

• HORNS ON 😧 Last season the Longhorns were 22-0 when they held an opponent to 59 points or less. Texas ranked 14th in the NCAA in turnovers forced per game. The Longhorns also set a new program record for blocks in a season in 22-23 with 214 blocks. Against Southern in the home opener Texas held the Jaguars to single digits in three of the four quarters.