Texas Women’s Basketball 2023-2024: Handing out ass whoopins and lollipops, and we’re all out of lollipops

Pancho

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Booker crashed to earth. Amazing and fun while it lasted. Next year we hopefully will have a 2 guard who can out-quick and out-shoot the competition while playing good team D. 

NC State clearly can beat South Carolina. Doesn't mean they will, but they have the athletes and shooting. We really didn't, though we all would have welcomed that matchup. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

All teams with quick guards who can shoot it. HVL, Tot, James. Our kryptonite is speed + offensive teams.

We need a legit scorer. And I think we may end up better defensively with Rori back and Shaylee gone. 

I think we will be a completely different team next year once Harmon is back, add #8 recruit in Lee at guard, and likely a transfer. 

We had to essentially abandon Vic's style of play this year (i.e. full court press) because we didn't have the athleticism at guard. I think it's what makes this season kind of incredible. Vic had to completely change his system without Rori and then somehow found a way to win with a PF at PG. 

I bet we are going to be much more of a full court press team next year if we can stay healthy. 

• Hook 'Em 5

But Vic has to seriously examine these injuries. 

This is now about 1.5 years out of the last 2 years where he's had to abandon the full-court press because of injuries. At some point, he has to take a hard look at these injuries and figure it out.

Dude is an incredible coach considering all these injuries and having to essentially implement a new system on the fly.  

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Now we go on portal watch.

Who's leaving and who are our targets.

Let the off season begin.

If Jones, Gaston, and Holle return we are going to be loaded. The issue is going to be figuring out roles for everyone. 

PG (Harmon)

SG (Transfer or # 8 recruit Lee)

SF (Holle or Booker)

PF (Moore or Booker)

C (Jones)

I don't know who you want coming off the bench here out of Holle or Moore. It has to be one of them. 

Feels like it's going to be difficult to convince all of Gaston, Muhammad, 1 of Holle or Moore, etc to come off the bench. That doesn't even include another 5 star in Carlton at the 4. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The season ended not to my liking, but quite frankly we overachieved. When Rori went down I lowered my expectations tremendously. I underestimated the team and the coaching staff’s ability to change direction. They did so spectacularly. We ran into a team that took advantage of our weaknesses. It happens. 

I’m disappointed but know the future is bright. I also agree that the strength and conditioning piece needs to be evaluated. Something is amiss there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If Jones, Gaston, and Holle return we are going to be loaded. The issue is going to be figuring out roles for everyone. 

PG (Harmon)

SG (Transfer or # 8 recruit Lee)

SF (Holle or Booker)

PF (Moore or Booker)

C (Jones)

I don't know who you want coming off the bench here out of Holle or Moore. It has to be one of them. 

Feels like it's going to be difficult to convince all of Gaston, Muhammad, 1 of Holle or Moore, etc to come off the bench. That doesn't even include another 5 star in Carlton at the 4. 

From the way Gaston, Jones and Holle have spoken in interviews, it appears all 3 are returning.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, 86txex said:

From the way Gaston, Jones and Holle have spoken in interviews, it appears all 3 are returning.

I’m pretty sure they are 

We got further than I or anyone expected. The expectation to go further happened with the 1 seed but this team, held together with duct tape all season long, made it to the Elite 8 and will run it back next year. You know Booker will be motivated by her play the past 2 games and Rori is itching to be back out there 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, 86txex said:

There's just going to be a massive log jam at the 4/5. Not that I'm complaining. 

Jones, Gaston, Moore, Muhammad, and I'm probably undervaluing Justice Carlton. She's the #4 recruit according to Prospects Nation. She's not coming here to sit on the bench. I would be pretty surprised if somebody out of this group isn't transferring. 

We have 5 legit players for 2 positions here and that doesn't even include the fact that Booker can also play the 4. That's where she was playing prior to injury. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

There's just going to be a massive log jam at the 4/5. Not that I'm complaining. 

Jones, Gaston, Moore, Muhammad, and I'm probably undervaluing Justice Carlton. She's the #4 recruit according to Prospects Nation. She's not coming here to sit on the bench. I would be pretty surprised if somebody out of this group isn't transferring. 

Just remember for the freshmen, especially post players, you have to pass Vic’s conditioning if you want to play 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Just remember for the freshmen, especially post players, you have to pass Vic’s conditioning if you want to play 

Definitely but Moore played 13 minutes a game as a FR and Carlton is probably more talented. 

The way I see the hierarchy is Jones as the starting 5 and then Gaston as the back up 5. Moore as the starting 4 and Carlton as the back up 4. I just hate to lose Muhammad but maybe she can slide to the 3. 

The problem is there will be a log jam at the 3 too with Booker and Holle. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

We have a billion options at the 3-5. So many options that we will likely lose a player or 2. 

The key is PG and SG. Harmon (coming back from a major injury), Lee (#8 recruit but a FR),  Preston (top 50 recruit but a FR), Maul (only a FR but didn't really flash this year), and Codio (hasn't played at all). 

Lee is going to be really good but they need to find another legit guard to pair with Harmon. This team can win it all next year with another good guard. 

• Like 1

We are also apparently in the mix for Imari Berry since she decommitted following the coaching change at Clemson. That recruiting class would be insane Carlton (#7 per ESPN), Lee (#8 per ESPN), Berry (#13 per ESPN), and Preston (#43 ESPN). 

I think I would prefer a more experienced guard in the portal but maybe Vic's idea is we are going to pair Harmon with a bunch of really talented/young guards. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Vic didn’t make his first Final Four at MSU until year 5

We are right on pace for that next year.

Assuming we are 1) Healthy and 2) Jones, Gaston, and Holle return anything other than a Final 4 will be a disappointment next year. 

We will have arguably the best roster in the country. Essentially an elite 8 caliber team returning, while adding an All-American PG back, and then 2 more five stars. 

• Hook 'Em 1

How athletic are these incoming recruits? They obviously have skills, but seems we'll also need all the length, speed and hops we can get...both in the SEC and every March.  Against the elite teams, raw athleticism is often the difference in making a critical play. Not to mention that being more explosive in the open court would take pressure off our set offense. We need more easy buckets. 

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

How athletic are these incoming recruits? They obviously have skills, but seems we'll also need all the length, speed and hops we can get...both in the SEC and every March.  Against the elite teams, raw athleticism is often the difference in making a critical play. Not to mention that being more explosive in the open court would take pressure off our set offense. We need more easy buckets. 

I know the write ups for Preston mention her end to end speed and Lee as being an elite scoring guard. 

These are the scouting reports on the incoming recruits. 

Highest ranked commit: F Justice Carlton (No. 7)

Carlton is an active forward who dominates on the glass. She is comfortable putting the ball on the floor and creating in the face-up game or pushing the ball full court after defensive rebounds. She is able to stretch the floor on the offensive end because she is a threat in catch-and-shoot 3-point opportunities. Carlton has a knack on the defensive end for getting her hands on the ball in passing lanes and using her physicality for an advantage.

• No. 8 Jordan Lee has a reputation for being a lock-down perimeter defender. Over the last couple of seasons, she has shown a steady improvement on the offense end -- particularly in the areas of creating her own shot and a higher percentage from the 3.

• No. 43 Bryanna Preston is a quick point guard who excels in defensive ball pressure and pushing the ball in the fast break. She breaks down defenses off the dribble and creates for teammates.

This is a very complementary class for the style of coach Vic Schaefer and the Texas program. They all play with a defensive prowess and have a requisite physical toughness for their conference move to the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 2

It seems pretty obvious what Vic is gearing up for with Lee and Preston. Both are quick/athletic guards who like to pressure. Then it sounds like we are also in the mix for Berry #13 recruit who is a similar mold. 

Much more full court pressure is coming which is who Vic really is. I'm thinking the idea might be to run it back with this roster and pair Harmon with a bunch of really athletic/young guards. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I know the write ups for Preston mention her end to end speed and Lee as being an elite scoring guard. 

The big thing is Vic knows how to utilize talent. This is what he's done with top 15 recruits so far. 

Harmon (All-American caliber PG)

Moore (Hampered by injuries but was really good at the end of this season)

Booker (All-American in year 1)

I say it's very likely one of Lee or Carlton will be very good next season if not both. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Js1 said:

All teams with quick guards who can shoot it. HVL, Tot, James. Our kryptonite is speed + offensive teams.

We need a legit scorer. And I think we may end up better defensively with Rori back and Shaylee gone. 

Having a limited Jones was a much bigger loss than people realize. She's arguably our 2nd best scorer. 

Jones had 11 points in 10 minutes today. NC State couldn't guard her inside. Another annoying injury that limited our potential. If Jones plays 25+ minutes in this one I bet it's a 50/50 game. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but I wonder if the court situation got into their heads, especially considering we had the janky part of the court first. We will never know, but I thought about that a lot during the game. 

Credit to Vic. I also thought the best we could hope for without Rori was the Round of 32. Getting to an EE was special. Vic will get over the hump, I’m sure of it.

Someone mentioned he needed to figure out the injury thing and I’m wondering what else is he supposed to do? Rori’s just was a freak accident. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Someone mentioned he needed to figure out the injury thing and I’m wondering what else is he supposed to do? Rori’s just was a freak accident.

It’s not just Rori’s ACL this year. We’ve had issues with Rori’s toe injury last year, Morris, Jones, Gaston, Moore, Booker’s hamstring issue, Warren’s concussion issues 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah it just seems like those injuries were bad luck, not because of poor diet or something. I mean I guess we can say a better SC coach would know more progressive techniques but I’m not sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but I wonder if the court situation got into their heads, especially considering we had the janky part of the court first. We will never know, but I thought about that a lot during the game. 

Credit to Vic. I also thought the best we could hope for without Rori was the Round of 32. Getting to an EE was special. Vic will get over the hump, I’m sure of it.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

It’s not just Rori’s ACL this year. We’ve had issues with Rori’s toe injury last year, Morris, Jones, Gaston, Moore, Booker’s hamstring issue, Warren’s concussion issues 

While certain freak movements/impact/trauma certainly cause tendon and ligament tears, overcompensation due to other injuries, as well as overuse/improper recovery are the alternative primary culprits. The latter is the hypothesis around here given the style of play and cadence of Vic's practices, etc. No idea if it's true or not; but as @Js1 and others have pointed out, there seems to be a trend emerging.

Additionally, female athletes are much more prone (eight times more likely) to ligament tears in their knees, especially ACL injuries. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37777208/

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, MuellerHorn said:

While certain freak movements/impact/trauma certainly cause tendon and ligament tears, overcompensation due to other injuries, as well as overuse/improper recovery are the alternative primary culprits. The latter is the hypothesis around here given the style and cadence of Vic's practices, etc. No idea if it's true or not; but as @Js1 and others have pointed out, there seems to be a trend emerging.

Additionally, female athletes are much more prone (eight times more likely) to ligament tears in their knees, especially ACL injuries. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37777208/

Yeah, I knew about females and ACLs compared to male athletes.

There could be something there about the practices and more stress…

Posted (edited)

Our All American didn’t even make the Portland 4 All Regional Team. She was so bad this weekend. Moore and Holle both made it 

Edited by Js1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Tennessees coach was shitcanned today. They’ll probably target Lawson 

Not surprising.  Really wish Rickea Jackson had come here instead of a lame duck Harper.

But I know who will put their name in - Jeff Walz.  As always. 

Edited by Js1

In the last 2 seasons, these are injuries. 

'22-23: Morris (Missed 10 games), Moore (Missed 27 games), Harmon (Missed 5 games), and Jones (Missed 9 games), These were all potential starters. 

'23-24: Harmon (Missed 26 games), Jones (Missed 5 games), Moore (Missed 5 games), Gaston (Missed 13 games), and Booker (Missed 1 game). All starter level players. 

It's actually pretty incredible we've been this good with so many injuries. The only holdover from Aston's staff was the S&C coach and what has been our biggest problem? Injuries. Maybe it's just bad luck but seems like there is more to this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Starting 5: 

PG-Harmon (#10 recruit in '21/Big 12 defensive player of the year in '22/All-American honorable mention in '22)

SG-Transfer or Lee (#8 recruit in '24)

SF-Booker (#12 recruit in '23/Big 12 player of the year in '23/All-American in '23)

PF-Moore (#6 recruit in '21/2nd team All-Big 12 in '23)

C-Jones (#43 recruit in '19)

Bench: 

PG-Preston (#43 recruit in '24) or Maul (#38 recruit in '23)

SG-Transfer or Lee (#8 recruit in '24)

SF- Holle (a starter for this year's Elite 8 team)

PF- Carlton (#7 recruit in '24)

C-Gaston (First team All-Big 12 in '22)

This doesn't even include Muhammad who could start for a lot of teams and has started a bunch of games at Texas. If this roster runs it back it's the best roster we've ever had since I've followed. Anything other than a final 4 would be a huge disappointment. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm not unopposed to starting Holle at SG. Until Lee is ready to be a starter.  Or if we do not get a top tier transfer. 

Holle was a 48% FG shooter (better than Shaylee's 41%) and 37.6% from three (statistically the same as Shaylee 38%)

That gives you Harmon-Holle-Booker-Moore-Jones with Preston, Maul, Lee, Carlton, Gaston and maybe Muhammad on the bench 

Harmon + Holle in your starting 5 is a nightmare for opposing guards. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I'm not unopposed to starting Holle at SG. Until Lee is ready to be a starter.  Or if we do not get a top tier transfer. 

Holle was a 48% FG shooter (better than Shaylee's 41%) and 37.6% from three (statistically the same as Shaylee 38%)

That gives you Harmon-Holle-Booker-Moore-Jones with Preston, Maul, Lee, Carlton, Gaston and maybe Muhammad on the bench 

Harmon + Holle in your starting 5 is a nightmare for opposing guards. 

We should be substantially better on the perimeter defensively next year. 

Harmon is arguably the best defensive guard in the country, Holle is an All-Big 12 level defensive player, and Lee is apparently one of the best defensive guards in this recruiting class. All 3 of these "guards" are better defenders than Booker and Gonzales. 

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm not unopposed to Holle at SG but think we need a guard that gets downhill. That's not really Holle. 

I'm also not unopposed to Holle starting at SF with Booker at PF. Just not sure you can convince Moore to come off the bench. 

No way Vic puts Moore on the bench. She’s such a tenacious offensive rebounder and it’s huge for our offense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No way Vic puts Moore on the bench. She’s such a tenacious offensive rebounder and it’s huge for our offense. 

I agree. 

I think the most likely scenario is a transfer or Lee at the 2, Booker at the 3, and Moore at the 4. It feels like Holle would also be the most receptive to being a spark plug 6th man type off the bench. She can still play big minutes in that role. 

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I agree. 

I think the most likely scenario is a transfer or Lee at the 2, Booker at the 3, and Moore at the 4. It feels like Holle would also be the most receptive to being a spark plug 6th man type off the bench. She can still play big minutes in that role. 

Yeah my comment was more if we don’t get a transfer. Lee may not start right away, in which case Holle at the 2 to start the year wouldn’t make me mad. But eventually I think Lee would replace her. But I hope we get a really good transfer who can shoot it 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah my comment was more if we don’t get a transfer. Lee may not start right away, in which case Holle at the 2 to start the year wouldn’t make me mad. But eventually I think Lee would replace her. But I hope we get a really good transfer who can shoot it 

Yeah, if we do add a transfer guard I think it needs to be a shooter/scorer. I think we are fine defensively between Harmon, Lee, and Holle. More than fine. Those 3 will be a nightmare defensively together. 

The type we need is a Jewel Spear from Tennessee. It still doesn't make much sense why she went there over Texas. Dumb decision gets dumb rewards. 

Posted (edited)

Spear announced she was returning to Tennessee yesterday. I think it was before the announcement of Harper being fired. 

This would be such a perfect fit if she realizes it's time to come home. 

https://www.wate.com/sports/orange-and-white-nation/tennessee-basketball/lady-vol-guard-jewel-spear-announces-return-to-rocky-top/

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Rumors that Talia Scott is going to LSU.  Between Poffenbarger and Scott, Mulkey is loading up again. 

It would be great if Vic can convince Spear to portal again with a coaching change. But we have plenty of time for more shooting guards to enter the portal. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm pretty sure we finished 2nd for Spear when she committed to Tennessee

Pretty sure we finished 2nd in the last couple of offseasons for: 

Spear
Jackson
Prater
Fields

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Pretty sure we finished 2nd in the last couple of offseasons for: 

Spear
Jackson
Prater
Fields

I think the big issue with these top transfers and what we have returning is convincing them to play a smaller role. 

Somebody like Spear is not going to get 30 minutes a game at Texas with all the talent we have. Do you want to sacrifice in order to win?