Texas Women’s Basketball 2023-2024: Handing out ass whoopins and lollipops, and we’re all out of lollipops

Pancho

All I know is we have to be patient.  IIRC, we sat around waiting all of April for Spear and she committed to Tenn in early/mid May. I don't think Sonya Morris committed to Texas until late May. 

Moone Boy Waiting GIF by HULU

I know RT is using the Spring Game for transfer visits, but I doubt Vic will have many (if any) potential transfers already lined up for April 20.  Will have to be a baseball game or softball game

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Beers and Iriafen enter the portal, we will see how committed Texas is to NIL. If there was ever a time to buy a player it's now. 

If you add an All-American frontcourt player in the mix with Rori and Booker I see no reason why we wouldn't be the national title favorites. 

55 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

My guess is Juju Watkins. 

That would be a huge surprise. Idk I don’t think it’s anyone from us (Harmon or Booker), but I’m scared regardless lol 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

She is but that's a huge question with her. She's been injured all 3 seasons in college. 

Her dad said she isn’t going anywhere. We’ll see

40 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I wasn't thinking we'd see Gaston leave. Certainly would rather she didn't, but so it goes. Maybe Vic is planning to plug Carlton in there. 

It was pretty obvious we were looking to upgrade at the 5 when Blair Schaefer started following the two Oregon State bigs (Beers and Gardiner).

Both of which are better than Gaston and probably even Jones. 

Beers is the best player in the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Give Beers whatever she wants in terms of NIL.

Rori, Booker, and Beers can win a title. 

Grab Beers and Phelia and Texas is legit co-favorites with SC

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It was pretty obvious we were looking to upgrade at the 5 when Blair Schaefer started following the two Oregon State bigs (Beers and Gardiner).

Both of which are better than Gaston and probably even Jones. 

Beers is the best player in the portal. 

Then they really need to be in Austin. 

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Everyone wants her. But we have some pre-existing relationships with recruiting her heavily out of HS and we were among her final teams. I feel good we are heavily in the mix for her and Phelia. 

I'm surprised you guys are concerned about Gaston leaving. I didn't watch more than half the games, so some of y'all saw a lot more of the team than I did and maybe that's my problem. I felt like she disappeared for entire quarters or halves sometimes. My view was that they could be better at that spot. That considered, I know I'm not some sort of WBB analyst or something.

Just now, Pancho said:

Chatter saying Souf Carolina is heavy heavy for Beers. @Js1?

That would be annoying.  Just give them the trophy then.  

Would suck for freshman Tec (6'5 center), Kitts (6'2 forward), incoming freshman Joyce Edwards (6'3 forward, #3 recruit). 

But I have also seen UConn fans quite confident and her name linked to Iowa as well.  

Blair is following MSST's Mjracle Sheppard. 

5'10 freshman guard out of Montverde.  Was a top 100 recruit but don't love her offensive stats.  

MSST looks like a legit landing spot for Van Lith, since Sam Purcell is her former assistant coach at Louisville 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm surprised you guys are concerned about Gaston leaving. I didn't watch more than half the games, so some of y'all saw a lot more of the team than I did and maybe that's my problem. I felt like she disappeared for entire quarters or halves sometimes. My view was that they could be better at that spot. That considered, I know I'm not some sort of WBB analyst or something.

She definitely can be an inert ingredient at times. But I guess I won't be thrilled with her leaving until I'm sure we have a better replacement locked up. Could say that of many outgoing transfers in many sports, though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

She definitely can be an inert ingredient at times. But I guess I won't be thrilled with her leaving until I'm sure we have a better replacement locked up. Could say that of many outgoing transfers in many sports, though. 

I mean, you don't win Big 12 Sixth Woman of the Year when you suck.  She was really good off the bench when needed - her defense on Ayoka Lee in the Big 12 semifinals was why we won that game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I mean, you don't win Big 12 Sixth Woman of the Year when you suck.  She was really good off the bench when needed - her defense on Ayoka Lee in the Big 12 semifinals was why we won that game. 

Oh, for sure. I guess she sees playing well enough to win that award as something she can turn into a starting role on a competitive team. I think we'd all agree she wasn't likely to become a starter here unless we have major injury issues (again). 

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think the problem with Gaston/Jones is they're both good but neither are game changers. Really high floor with those two but there are potentially game changers in the portal. Texas has game changers at guard (Rori) and wing (Booker) next year. 

The other issue with Gaston/Jones is both have a pretty extensive injury history. I say it's very unlikely both those 2 would ever be healthy together for a full season. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Not surprising at all, Texas confirms Holle will be back for year 5

With Holle, Harmon, the two FR guards, and Booker who can also give you minutes at PG it will be interesting how the portal goes at guard. Feels like we will have to convince somebody to play 20 to 23 minutes instead of being a 30+ minute type. 

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

That would be annoying.  Just give them the trophy then.  

Would suck for freshman Tec (6'5 center), Kitts (6'2 forward), incoming freshman Joyce Edwards (6'3 forward, #3 recruit). 

But I have also seen UConn fans quite confident and her name linked to Iowa as well.  

That's the only worry with Beers at Texas.

I know Jones announced she's returning but she would not start over Beers. Not sure how Jones would react to Beers at Texas. 

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That's the only worry with Beers at Texas.

I know Jones announced she's returning but she would not start over Beers. Not sure how Jones would react to Beers at Texas. 

With Gaston and Faye both gone, Jones cannot play 40 minutes a game. You can play a lot of lineups with Jones/Beers/Moore/Carlton able to play inside. Go big, go small 

Edited by Js1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

With Gaston and Faye both gone, Jones cannot play 40 minutes a game 

She can't and especially with her injury history. 

But Jones has started for good teams at Oregon State and Texas. It's still a difficult sell to convince a player like Jones to come off the bench. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

She can't and especially with her injury history. 

But Jones has started for good teams at Oregon State and Texas. It's still a difficult sell to convince a player like Jones to come off the bench. 

Yeah that’s my point. You have to have a backup center and I think Vic could figure out how to make them both happy. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Even without the injuries, jones collects fouls at too high a rate to play big minutes routinely. 

Yep. That’s always been the case with her too. 

Even if we don't land Beers the other big from Oregon State is also very good. Gardiner is probably a top 5 player in the portal. 

I think Gardiner is also less likely to rock the boat with Jones because she can play the 4 and 5. The thing with Beers is she's a legit game changer and can be an All-American caliber player. 

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The Atlantic has Beers are #1 and Gardiner #6 in their transfer portal rankings 

Gardiner is legit. I think she's probably even undervalued at #6. 

Her 3 point % and FT percentage at somebody her size and as a Sophomore is pretty damn special. If she just played more minutes at Oregon State she would be a much bigger name. 

Just now, 86txex said:

What is with the Do not contact tag? They are already committed to a program? I thought that was verboten.

Usually implies they know where they are headed or they don’t want 100+ programs to contact them. “Don’t call me, I’ll call you”

But so much of this is back channeled through AAU/HS coaches so she may already know where she’s headed 

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Former Longhorn Celeste Taylor was selected 15th overall in the WNBA draft. No other player with Texas connections was drafted. 

Good for Celeste! 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1