Texas Women’s Basketball 2023-2024: Handing out ass whoopins and lollipops, and we’re all out of lollipops

Pancho

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UConn board mentions some smoke between Texas and Cameron Williams, Phelia’s teammate at Michigan 

7.5ppg, 4.6 rpg, 55% FG, 78% FT

6’3 senior. 1 COVID year to use 

3 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

This is the first head scratcher for me. Vic must have something brewing, because we are super thin upfront now.

I am reminded of this tweet.

More big news coming soon???

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

This is the first head scratcher for me. Vic must have something brewing, because we are super thin upfront now.

I don't think Muhammad is much of a head-scratcher.

Muhammad's minutes drastically declined at the end of the season once Moore was fully healthy and she won't start next season. She didn't play over 17 minutes in the last 9 games. Unfortunately, it's difficult to convince players like Muhammad to be a 15-18 minute role player when they can start at a lot of different schools. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I am reminded of this tweet.

More big news coming soon???

I think we are perfectly fine at PF. 

I already envisioned Muhammad being 3rd on the chopping block at PF behind Moore and Carlton. What we really need is a 5 and then another tweener big that can give you a few minutes at the 4 and 5. 

I don't know if the plan is for Carlton to play early and often, but sure sounds like it the way Vic raves about her physicality as a HS player. 

Cameron Williams may be that tweener who can play the 4 or 5, and then we just need another big. A Beers/Gardiner/Barker.

Sounds like Cameron Williams joined Phelia for her OV

• Hook 'Em 1

Off the top off my head, the only "bigs" we followed were Beers, Gardiner, Cameron Williams and Kyla Oldacre.  Oldacre chose Miami. 

The staff may have already had an inkling 2 or 3 would be leaving.  Minimum, we knew Faye and probably Herron.  

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Off the top off my head, the only "bigs" we followed were Beers, Gardiner, Cameron Williams and Kyla Oldacre.  Oldacre chose Miami. 

The staff may have already had an inkling 2 or 3 would be leaving.  Minimum, we knew Faye and probably Herron.  

Would have loved to have kept Gaston.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don't know if the plan is for Carlton to play early and often, but sure sounds like it the way Vic raves about her physicality as a HS player. 

Top 10 recruits aren't going anywhere to sit on the bench. 

The thing with Carlton is her strength is finishing at the rim. Which was probably our biggest weakness last season. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

According to Kurt Bowels, a big has an official visit set up.  Could be old info (Williams) or something new.

The Tennessee boards think Barker is Texas bound...

Barker would be nice. 

She's a tweener that's capable of playing the 4 and 5. Also, she's really athletic so fits well in Vic's full-court pressure. There are several really good bigs in the portal. Barker, Gardiner, and Beers are all considered top 10 transfers. 

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Barker would be nice. 

She's a tweener that's capable of playing the 4 and 5. Also, she's really athletic so fits well in Vic's full-court pressure. There are several really good bigs in the portal. Barker, Gardiner, and Beers are all considered top 10 transfers. 

Yeah, if we steal Barker from aggy after she followed Joni there, oh boy, Joni's seat will be scorching hot. 

I forgot about Iriafen too. If we aren't trying to upgrade at the 4/5 we are doing this entirely wrong. There are 4 to 5 legit bigs in the portal. If you're serious about winning you go out and land one of these bigs. 

I think that was definitely the plan though. 

Iriafen would be a good one, but I've been resigned that she's going to end up somewhere like ND or USC. 

I think it will come down to Beers, Gardiner or Barker.  But we will see - I have to remind myself to be patient, considering it was mid-May by the time Sonya Morris committed and July for Shaylee.  They don't all move as fast as Phelia. 

This weekend would be a good time for bringing in a big to visit, with the #1 softball team in town 

Edited by Js1

3 minutes ago, hornag said:

Don’t expect Janiah Barker since she would have to sit out a year due to transferring within the SEC..

That is a football only rule, I believe

LSU just got a commitment from a MSST PG.  Auburn got Taliah Scott (Arky) and Gaston (Texas). 

Pretty sure Alabama MBB got an Auburn kid 

Edited by Js1

https://247sports.com/article/sec-intraconference-transfer-rules-apply-to-oklahoma-texas-ahead-of-spring-portal-window-230328702/

Outgoing Oklahoma and Texas players who enter the transfer portal this spring will not be immediately eligible if they transfer to an SEC school, an SEC spokesperson confirmed to 247Sports. The SEC's rules restrict intraconference transfer movement in football to athletes who enter during the NCAA's winter transfer portal window, which ran from Dec. 4 to Jan. 2. SEC players who enter outside those dates – unless they did so via the NCAA's exemptions for postseason play or a head coaching change — would not be eligible for the upcoming season if they chose to transfer to another school within the league.

Football only

• Hook 'Em 2

Sydney Carter also followed Vonleh from CU recently.  So there's another potential name.  She was at Baylor recently (could be the person Collen hinted at a commitment was incoming, but who knows)

6'3 junior, 14 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.1 bpg, 55% FG, 63% FT

Just so many good options that if Texas hits on at least 1, I'll be thrilled and see no reason we still won't open the season #2 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Sydney Carter also followed Vonleh from CU recently.  So there's another potential name.  She was at Baylor recently (could be the person Collen hinted at a commitment was incoming, but who knows)

6'3 junior, 14 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.1 bpg, 55% FG, 63% FT

Just so many good options that if Texas hits on at least 1, I'll be thrilled and see no reason we still won't open the season #2 

Yup. Vonleh was a 1st team All Pac 12 player and she might be the 5th or 6th best big in the portal. 

The more you look at who is in the portal we needed attrition. You have to upgrade when there are this many quality players available. 

Codio has a pre-existing relationship with both Barker and 6'7 Letycia Vasconcelos from Baylor - all of them from Montverde, and both of them in the portal.  Texas was a player in Vasconcelos' recruitment

Add a PF like Barker and a 6'7 post, you got something cooking. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Also would rather she goes to UConn than OU. Sooners return everyone and Beers would make them an SEC contender. Don’t want that 

Not sure which is better for us because if UCONN adds Beers they are a legit title contender. 

Texas, UCONN, and South Carolina would all be loaded. 

7 minutes ago, 86txex said:

Beers reminds me of Crooks from Iowa State. 

I think this is the biggest issue with Beers and Jones together. They're both low-post players who live in the paint. 

Purely based on fit, Baker seems more ideal because she's a more athletic mold. 

Barker moving on from aggy to play for Texas is one thing, and I'm all for it. But does she dare cross enemy lines in the sneaker war?

""I couldn’t be more blessed to be a part of the adidas family," said Barker. "They have taken me in with open arms and shown me love since day one. I’m so excited to be on this journey and inspire the next generation with the three-stripe community."

https://www.si.com/fannation/sneakers/news/adidas-signs-texas-a-m-aggies-forward-janiah-barker

I'm joking. Only an idiot would stay with aggy. 

HVL also had the adidas deal while playing for LSU (Nike). Flaujae Johnson has a PUMA deal while playing for LSU. 

You just have to wear the Nikes in games, practices and public appearances as a rep of the school. Otherwise, do your thang

Rose Zhang (Stanford golf) also had an adidas deal at a Nike school 

9 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Doesn't seem these deals could be too valuable if every video clip or still of you actually competing shows a rival's gear. But I guess it's worth something to the company for the personal endorsement. 

TV spots, social media and probably the idea of carrying your endorsement into your pro career, whether in the U.S. or playing abroad 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Joni Taylor was heavily interested in Amina in HS. I wonder if we just do a Barker-Muhammad swap 

If I'm Vic, I take that deal. Amina is a great rebounder but her offensive game is lacking.

Michigan Taylor Williams chose Northwestern.  I still think if we landed Barker + Cameron Williams, that would be an ideal portal haul alongside Phelia.

Also Rori posted a video of her already shooting in the gym. 

GIF by Eccho Rights

• Hook 'Em 1

Cameron Williams is now following Coaches Wisdom, Lovato and Blair Schaefer.  She is not the big visitor this weekend, she was here the same time as Phelia. 

https://www.michigandaily.com/sports/womens-basketball/cameron-williams-and-the-quest-to-become-michigans-next-big/

I repeat myself, but if our interior depth is Moore, Carlton, Williams, Jones and Barker, this team is going to be just fine inside, to pair with Harmon, Booker, Holle, Phelia, Lee, Maul, Preston on the perimeter. 

• Hook 'Em 1