Mediterranean

jimmyjazz

I couldn't find a Greek thread, so I figured I'd start a general Mediterranean version.

Last night, my wife and I went to a new place in central-west Austin called Yamas.  It's on Balcones Drive, near Koenig/Mopac, just down the road from Chez Zee.

This place was hopping.  I booked a reservation a week in advance and could only land 9:15 PM.  It was as you expect of a Greek restaurant, bleached white decor with bright blue accents.  The food was terrific.  The owners were very present and made sure everything was good with all their clientele.  I had a pasta dish that was reminiscent of lasagna, but the seasoning had strong notes of cumin, coriander and mint in addition to the standard Italian bolognese.  My wife had the lamb chops -- holy smokes, they were good.  She got a dessert, I got another glass of wine.  (My kind of dessert.)  Hers was sort of a dry bread pudding, she said it was fantastic.

I expect good things from this place.  The vibe was fantastic, if loud.  It's in a bit of a cursed location, the last restaurant in that location opened up just before covid, so that was unfortunate.  Check it out.

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I couldn't find a Greek thread, so I figured I'd start a general Mediterranean version.

Last night, my wife and I went to a new place in central-west Austin called Yamas.  It's on Balcones Drive, near Koenig/Mopac, just down the road from Chez Zee.

This place was hopping.  I booked a reservation a week in advance and could only land 9:15 PM.  It was as you expect of a Greek restaurant, bleached white decor with bright blue accents.  The food was terrific.  The owners were very present and made sure everything was good with all their clientele.  I had a pasta dish that was reminiscent of lasagna, but the seasoning had strong notes of cumin, coriander and mint in addition to the standard Italian bolognese.  My wife had the lamb chops -- holy smokes, they were good.  She got a dessert, I got another glass of wine.  (My kind of dessert.)  Hers was sort of a dry bread pudding, she said it was fantastic.

I expect good things from this place.  The vibe was fantastic, if loud.  It's in a bit of a cursed location, the last restaurant in that location opened up just before covid, so that was unfortunate.  Check it out.

Good to hear.  Looked a bit spendy when I first saw the menu.  May need to try.

Thanks Jimmy Jazz.  I’ve been meaning to try Yamas since reading it opened but living southwest it’s never convenient and/or I forget about it.  Need to book a table and just put it on the calendar.  Artemis in Bee Cave is our go to for Mediterranean.  Or Arpeggio if we’re up north. 

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

+rep, jimmy.  I love Greek/Mediterranean food and this is close by. I hope this place does well. The last restaurant there – some gastropub, I forgot the name – wasn’t bad, but never seemed to get off the ground.

Yeah, I went there once, not long after they opened.  It was fine.  And then covid hit.

4 hours ago, hobbs said:

Anyone been to Ezov?  If so, curious to hear about it.

Once about a month after it opened.  Food was really good, and overall more interesting than comparable places I have been in Austin (e.g. Peacock).  It was loud.  Really long dinner . . . as in I had to ask the waiter whether they had forgotten to put in several of the dishes and noticed nearby table having the same issue.  

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Once about a month after it opened.  Food was really good, and overall more interesting than comparable places I have been in Austin (e.g. Peacock).  It was loud.  Really long dinner . . . as in I had to ask the waiter whether they had forgotten to put in several of the dishes and noticed nearby table having the same issue.  

Sounds good and hopefully they have service tightened up some by now.  Thanks for the info and planning to try it soon.

Edited by hobbs

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Yamas last night. Everything we had was excellent, portions are large (and expensive). 

For those with kids, we took our 2 kids (8 and 11) there was not a kids menu offered but between skews, pitas, dips etc there was plenty of things for the kids to eat that they liked, and the fries were really good. 

Parking is kinda a disaster, not sure if there is a trick to that.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/3/2023 at 4:55 PM, hobbs said:

Sounds good and hopefully they have service tightened up some by now.  Thanks for the info and planning to try it soon.

went last weekend and it was good. thought the dishes were more interesting than aba.  the menu was confusing and didn't really give a great description of what you were getting...we got one thing that ended up being a fish taquito. we sat outside but the inside did seem very loud and the service was quite slow...we were there for over 2 hours with a table of 5. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 11:53 AM, hobbs said:

Anyone been to Ezov?  If so, curious to hear about it.

Went for cocktails after dinner at Intero and they were great.  Have not eaten though.

As for Yamas, friend posted pictures and it looked really cool so I checked out their menu online and Looooooool no way I'm paying those prices for Mediterranean food

• Hook 'Em 1