2024 NFL DRAFT

LTtxfan

13 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Not a good start to his career. Having Jones fractures in both feet is a bad omen for a big DT.

Fortunate for the player that he was drafted as high as he was (#36 overall). 

Hope Newton gets a good investment person to handle his NFL money -- may be tough to get a 2nd contract with foot problems on both feet.  

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really watch the NFL other than my Bucs, so does anyone know how good ATL's o-line is? If it's good then Cousins hopefully can stay upright and he'll have the talent to get them to the playoffs, and Penix can sit and learn. I don't care how old he is when he gets the start, sitting and learning is the way to go instead of throwing your rookie QB out there and killing his confidence. 

Rodgers, Mahomes, Love have all benefitted from sitting for at least 1 year to multiple years. I think Penix is a talent and will do fine so long as his WR'S aren't total garbage. Rondale Moore seems to have some talent, Drake London isn't total shit, maybe Mooney can be decent?, Kyle Pitts can be a freak, and he has Bijan who's a freak of nature. 
This is just my unbiased opinion of what I know about the Falcons. 

Putting a lower draft pick on the bench ch to develop is fine but spending the 8 on a QB to develop for 2-3 years is a huge waste because you have $100-180 mil invested in Cousins. The team is a QB and Edge away from contending. The right play is to draft the defensive piece you need; it’s the first D pick.

The other option was to skip cousins, draft Penix and play him now in his cheap rookie contract, and use the extra money to buy FA help in key positions.

Boneheaded move by ATL
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Putting a lower draft pick on the bench ch to develop is fine but spending the 8 on a QB to develop for 2-3 years is a huge waste because you have $100-180 mil invested in Cousins. The team is a QB and Edge away from contending. The right play is to draft the defensive piece you need; it’s the first D pick.

The other option was to skip cousins, draft Penix and play him now in his cheap rookie contract, and use the extra money to buy FA help in key positions.

Boneheaded move by ATL

…or take Odunze and beef up the weapon corp around Cousins and try to outscore everyone…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Boneheaded move by ATL

I thought Dallas Turner was everyone’s favorite to be a bust.  Perhaps Atlanta felt that way too.  The only other guy they missed out on was Verse.

They then get the Clemson DT, Trice and Oregon DL in the next 3 picks.  So they have attempted to address the positions you’ve highlighted.

They believe they have their QB for the next decade plus.  If they are correct, that’s not a boneheaded pick.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I thought Dallas Turner was everyone’s favorite to be a bust.  Perhaps Atlanta felt that way too.  The only other guy they missed out on was Verse.

They then get the Clemson DT, Trice and Oregon DL in the next 3 picks.  So they have attempted to address the positions you’ve highlighted.

They believe they have their QB for the next decade plus.  If they are correct, that’s not a boneheaded pick.

Best part of a rookie stud QB is the smaller contract. It’s a proven window to compete for the playoffs/titles. They willingly forfeited that possibility.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Best part of a rookie stud QB is the smaller contract. It’s a proven window to compete for the playoffs/titles. They willingly forfeited that possibility.  

I’m betting Penix plays some on that rookie contract.  As a starter.  Assuming Cousins is and stays healthy, he’s the better option and likely makes their team better in year 1 and probably year 2.

I am surprised Atlanta did what they did.  As a fan, I’m a trade down and build up your team with more picks.

From the organizations view, I can see why they jumped on Cousins then had time to evaluate Penix as a 2nd rounder.  And possibly came to the conclusion he’s a no doubt franchise QB.

On 5/5/2024 at 8:18 AM, closetohumping said:

If you don’t trust him why give him 180m?

They didn’t. 

On 5/11/2024 at 11:09 PM, Newy25 said:

I think they *only* committed to around half of that in guaranteed money But still, that’s a lot of money to commit for 2 years of service. 

It is now “The going rate” for a starting QB signing a new contract. 

If they can fit it under the cap, who cares?

Penix has the golden arm of this draft. They got him with the 8th pick. Not too shabby.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

They didn’t. 

It is now “The going rate” for a starting QB signing a new contract. 

If they can fit it under the cap, who cares?

Penix has the golden arm of this draft. They got him with the 8th pick. Not too shabby.

I did t see many mocks that had penix in the top ten.  Many have said that penix could start right now.  Could they have used Kirk’s money on other free agents?50m signing bonus and 100m guaranteed.  Of course it’s not Terrys money so why not 

Blank is 81.  This is a win now league. 

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

There is nothing smart about the ATL. It’s Fontanot being scared about Belichik interviewing. If you’re going to put your plug and play team in the hands of a questionable prospect like Penix out of the gate, you skip Cousins and spend that money on a couple of FA edge rushers. They are built to win now and have a weak South. Instead they spent an 8 on a guy on the bench who will be 27 at his first start, wasting most of his cheaper contract ($10+ mill bonus so not that cheap with cousins money)

It is stupid. Cousins has zero time in this lockerroom. Now he’s competing with a 1R pick he knew nothing about. Why? Because Fontanot had a neato idea and sold Blank on it. Collective stupidity. Fine with me as I hate ATL and Blank.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

There is nothing smart about the ATL. It’s Fontanot being scared about Belichik interviewing. If you’re going to put your plug and play team in the hands of a questionable prospect like Penix out of the gate, you skip Cousins and spend that money on a couple of FA edge rushers. They are built to win now and have a weak South. Instead they spent an 8 on a guy on the bench who will be 27 at his first start, wasting most of his cheaper contract ($10+ mill bonus so not that cheap with cousins money)

It is stupid. Cousins has zero time in this lockerroom. Now he’s competing with a 1R pick he knew nothing about. Why? Because Fontanot had a neato idea and sold Blank on it. Collective stupidity. Fine with me as I hate ATL and Blank.

And the first rounder gets a head start.  The locker room will gravitate towards him

hard to believe they didn’t think Lenox would be there at 8 as at one point there was talk he may not even get drafted.  Silly talk of course

i I know he’s not as good as cousins, though he was before Denver, but why not get Russell for 1 million dollars?  Cousins is better but maybe not 44m a year better.   

Terry and Raheem extended their runway a few years so shrewd move for them. 

On 5/8/2024 at 8:55 AM, Texzilla588 said:

Everything about this reeks of Fontantot’s insecurity. He engineered the trade of Matt Ryan to Indy and bungled the transition with his parade of losers. The interviews with Belichik obviously shook him regardless of Bill’s promise to just coach.

Blank had told fontanot he was not going thru more years of unknown qb roulette hence he got Cousins, a close approximation to Matt Ryan. I think he overthought it by going ahead and drafting his replacement, but he’s covering his ass. I don’t hate the player, just the pick. I would not have taken Penix at all as blanks other instruction was win now. He’s 81 and wants a ring. This waste of a pick adds distance to that. Pathetic and should be fired.

I thought Rich McKay was the primary influence for everything there, including Belichick getting spiked 

I thought Rich McKay was the primary influence for everything there, including Belichick getting spiked 

https://www.11alive.com/article/sports/nfl/atlanta-falcons/falcons-ceo-rich-mckay-no-longer-involved-football-operations/85-8eef6cfd-2bfb-4ea1-a6f5-32cc0a658565#

In January McKay became Falcons/AMB CEO and removed from football operations. Fontanot and Morris both report to Blank. Yet more fucktardedness for the ATL.

I read blank interviewed bill in his yacht. Brought back to interview with blank , Fontanot, and McKay. Blank wanted Bill, the other two pushed back. I wonder if mckay’s move was already in play or if that discussion made blank move McKay out.

12 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

https://www.11alive.com/article/sports/nfl/atlanta-falcons/falcons-ceo-rich-mckay-no-longer-involved-football-operations/85-8eef6cfd-2bfb-4ea1-a6f5-32cc0a658565#

In January McKay became Falcons/AMB CEO and removed from football operations. Fontanot and Morris both report to Blank. Yet more fucktardedness for the ATL.

I read blank interviewed bill in his yacht. Brought back to interview with blank , Fontanot, and McKay. Blank wanted Bill, the other two pushed back. I wonder if mckay’s move was already in play or if that discussion made blank move McKay out.

I think McKay is still heavily influential*, and while we'll never find out, I bet he was the primary voice that was instrumental in spiking Belichick 

* he's now overseeing all of Blank's sporting interests including the Falcons. He's Blank's Wormtongue

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/falcons-make-cosmetic-changes-to-rich-mckays-title-and-official-duties

And while Atlanta ended up making a very strong head coaching hire, the personnel side is still entrenched and proceeded to make the most batshit crazy top ten pick we've seen 

I think McKay is still heavily influential*, and while we'll never find out, I bet he was the primary voice that was instrumental in spiking Belichick 
* he's now overseeing all of Blank's sporting interests including the Falcons. He's Blank's Wormtongue
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/falcons-make-cosmetic-changes-to-rich-mckays-title-and-official-duties
And while Atlanta ended up making a very strong head coaching hire, the personnel side is still entrenched and proceeded to make the most batshit crazy top ten pick we've seen 

Supposedly blank moved him to non football operations and handed keys to Fontenot and Morris reporting to him. Same deal in 08 and he weaseled his way back in.

I think McKay and Fontenot feared bill coming as hc as both knew he’d start pushing them out. I think bill just wants those 15 wins.