Proper seafood

Onboard 2.0

2wfidsw.jpg

Softshells right before we dropped 'em in the fryer. flour, salt, pepper, garlic, Old Bay.

21kkvpe.jpg

Fresh caught NC tuna.  Melted butter slathering, liberal coating of Paul Prudommes seafood magic. A high heat sear for 10 seconds each side, slice and serve.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Kim Son, in Houston serves up tasty softshell crab.  I would never make it at home.   Sauteing  rockfish this weekend.  Been buying that turbot, and black drum from Quality Seafood lately.  They're all three very affordable, compared to the other options in the Austin markets, and extremely delicious.

26 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

Kim Son, in Houston serves up tasty softshell crab.  I would never make it at home.   Sauteing  rockfish this weekend.  Been buying that turbot, and black drum from Quality Seafood lately.  They're all three very affordable, compared to the other options in the Austin markets, and extremely delicious.

My HEB had monkfish for $6.95 lb the other day.  Bought 1.5 lbs, hit it with kosher salt and let it sit for a bit to draw out some of the moisture, patted it dry.  Melted some butter with garlic in a ceramic dish, sprinkled fish with salt, pepper, and paprika.  Baked at 375+ for about 20 mins.  Sprinkled with diced parsley and some lemon zest.  Squeezed some lemon into the butter garlic sauce, poured it in ramekins to serve with the fish.  Firm fish, dip in lemon garlic butter.  Delicious, and cheap.  No pics, sorry.

I don't recall seeing monkfish at my HEB.  I'll be on the lookout for it.  I go to Central Market, Whole Foods also on occasion and am always on the lookout for new and interesting seafood, but am not paying $16/lb like they want for grouper, halibut, etc.  If it's in my price range, I'll buy it.

22 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

I don't recall seeing monkfish at my HEB.  I'll be on the lookout for it.  I go to Central Market, Whole Foods also on occasion and am always on the lookout for new and interesting seafood, but am not paying $16/lb like they want for grouper, halibut, etc.  If it's in my price range, I'll buy it.

The Far West HEB occasionally has something -- different.  Like the monkfish.  A couple of months ago, they had some opal eye.  It's not all the time, but it seems that their fish buyer likes to grab something different that's a good deal every now and then, and when they have that stuff, I grab some.  Don't know if they still have monkfish, but I grabbed it while it was there.

21 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

They sell opal eye to eat?  You can catch opal eye by the dozen out at Catalina, but no one keeps them.  Never even thought to keep one.  Any good?

Oh, and to OP:

73490538.jpg

Correction -- it was Opah (I just looked up the pic).  I didn't get any when it was there, and they've never had it since.