Information about a domain (web traffic, etc.)

I want to buy a personal domain for personal stuff that is already taken.  I want to see the traffic on this site before I make an offer.  Are there any good websites for this?  I clicked on 4 or 5 and everyone of them want all my personal info before I can see results (big nope).  Maybe you know @immamac since you probably watch this kind of stuff?

8 hours ago, markstanco said:

I want to buy a personal domain for personal stuff that is already taken.  I want to see the traffic on this site before I make an offer.  Are there any good websites for this?  I clicked on 4 or 5 and everyone of them want all my personal info before I can see results (big nope).  Maybe you know @immamac since you probably watch this kind of stuff?

Every site consolidated into this one. 

I would be surprised if this is even possible, other than the obvious way of asking the current website owners for the data.

I would think that all the accessible records of the traffic are on the hosts which the current owners have. Of course the ISP's have records that could be found but not without a court order or being NSA. I'm sure plenty of people pretend that they have this data but my guess is that they make up/'estimate' most of it. I have never tried though, curious what is actually possible.

On 10/26/2023 at 10:40 AM, markstanco said:

I want to buy a personal domain for personal stuff that is already taken.  I want to see the traffic on this site before I make an offer.  Are there any good websites for this?  I clicked on 4 or 5 and everyone of them want all my personal info before I can see results (big nope).  

You won't get an accurate traffic score as others have mentioned, unless they send you the analytics info, and even then they might not send that out unless it's part of a domain auction, because that data is worth something to spammers/etc.

First, is this a truly personal site, like "MarkStancoBlog.com" ?

Or is it "MyPersonalHobbies.com" ?

Both have their issues with pricing - one is worth more to somebody with that name, the other is worth more to spammers/website collectors.

You could always try Moz.com to get a vague ballpark  - it doesn't show you traffic, but it shows some metrics that, while not precise, can give you an idea of how many sites are linking to it, and if the site is ranking high for various keywords/phrases, it's guesstimate of authority, etc..  Basically, if you see a lot of sites linking to it/high authority/lots of keywords, then it's probably got a decent amount of traffic, and/or whoever is running it knows what they are doing and are generating traffic of some sort.

https://moz.com/domain-analysis

There used to be some decent tools out there, but at some point they all got bought up and went behind paywalls.

And again, Moz won't give you the traffic for free, but you can at least see if whoever owns it has done anything that is actually generating traffic. If there's a bunch of pages/posts, but nothing good is showing up on Moz for it, then it's probably not going to be generating much revenue for various reasons.

Edit: Moz is not ideal, not even close, but you'd at least know if somebody has done something with it that has the attention of the search engines.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

My company has a moz account if you want me to look it up.

If a real domain that is being used, site traffic matters for valuation. If not, the valuation of domain names is completely made up. I bought our company domain from someone squatting on it for ~$20k (high value name/wording). Our lawyers told us is usually cost $100k+ for these type domains so don't worry about low balling the shit out of it.