What does college football look like in 20 years?

Because football (and the associated TV revenue) funds the vast majority of a university athletic dept's  operating budget, at universities left out of the mix gone are the days of swimming, golf, tennis etc... teams jetting around the country. 
The continued drive for more and more money will eventually choke out most college athletics as we're familiar with it. And it probably won't be a terrible thing either as the tail is wagging the dog at too many schools. 
Welp, no more either winning or finishing top 5 in Olympic medal counts. The fact we have athletes who start at an early age (non-obscure sports) and become world class due to NCAA competition is the only reason we do well in international events.

Not really in the original spirit of the thread, but I think they need to do some serious changes to penalties and reviews. They slow everything down and take the excitement out of the game.

- Intentional grounding needs to be gone. I like the rule, but it's by far the slowest one to implement. I don't know if I've ever seen a grounding call that's called instantly. It's ALWAYS a fucking conference and then they decide to call it. If they can't call it quickly, just get rid of it.

- Figure out holding or change the rule somehow. There's egregious shit at every level that isn't getting called. Why the hell not? If it's too hard to judge, then change the rule on what's holding until it's plain to see.

- False starts need to change. It's called now because someone twitches. There's no advantage, it's not a foul worth five yards, and it slows things down. If they move to get a head start, then yeah, call it. If they twitch but then reset, who cares? 

- I feel like the NFL review system is great. College there are way too many stoppages and reviews take to long. 

- Scrap/simplify a lot of the rules regarding things like contact (behind the line, one yard, five yards) and ineligible downfield. 

The game seems like it's getting lawyered to death.

I think video review is easy as hell. We all see replays on our screens within seconds and can make the call. Just have a guy in the booth watching the feed and if the replay shows a screw up signal the ref to blow the whistle and change the call. If it’s not obvious right away let the game go on. 

9 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Not really in the original spirit of the thread, but I think they need to do some serious changes to penalties and reviews. They slow everything down and take the excitement out of the game.

- Intentional grounding needs to be gone. I like the rule, but it's by far the slowest one to implement. I don't know if I've ever seen a grounding call that's called instantly. It's ALWAYS a fucking conference and then they decide to call it. If they can't call it quickly, just get rid of it.

- Figure out holding or change the rule somehow. There's egregious shit at every level that isn't getting called. Why the hell not? If it's too hard to judge, then change the rule on what's holding until it's plain to see.

- False starts need to change. It's called now because someone twitches. There's no advantage, it's not a foul worth five yards, and it slows things down. If they move to get a head start, then yeah, call it. If they twitch but then reset, who cares? 

- I feel like the NFL review system is great. College there are way too many stoppages and reviews take to long. 

- Scrap/simplify a lot of the rules regarding things like contact (behind the line, one yard, five yards) and ineligible downfield. 

Do you have a newsletter?

I like to brag that I'm old enough to remember when grounding was called by one official.  But they actually made intentional grounding a two-man call.  I don't think they REQUIRE a conference between the two men, but it always seems to happen.  Can't understand why they can't just use hand signals for behind/across the LOS...

Holding is the football version of college basketball's block/charge call -- it doesn't seem like anyone can call it correctly, and it varies from conference to conference.

The college review is idiotic.  They need to go to a coach-initiated challenge system ASAP.   If you challenge and lose, you lose a timeout.  No need to overthink the process.  As is, I've seen them review plays that neither coach would want reviewed.

Intentional grounding has to stay. That’s a possession changer. If there’s no rule, dudes will be trying to throw everything.

The eye is the sky official for the NFL is good. Give him more power to overrule crappy calls particularly roughing the passer. College needs this.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2024 at 8:59 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Good post.  Twitching isn’t called because of an offensive advantage, rather twitching can cause the defensive lineman to move offsides.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

Good post.  Twitching isn’t called because of an offensive advantage, rather twitching can cause the defensive lineman to move offsides.

Yep, it's the inverse of the defensive "disconcerting signals" call when defensive players are trying to get offensive players to jump. Not calling twitching could lead to unfettered gamesmanship toward inducing offsides (besides faking a snap count). Those calls need to stay.