Texas vs TTU- 7pm on ESPN2

The crowd was terrible last night. Me and my brother were trying to yell on defense and just looked like idiots because we were the only ones.  There was one or two possessions around the 4min mark were people actually stood up and cheered. The rest was an Erwin Center crowd. It's like this team and RT has already sucked the life out of Moody.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

The crowd was terrible last night. Me and my brother were trying to yell on defense and just looked like idiots because we were the only ones.  There was one or two possessions around the 4min mark were people actually stood up and cheered. The rest was an Erwin Center crowd. It's like this team and RT has already sucked the life out of Moody.    

It seemed strange on TV. Like I was wondering if it was a production issue. 

25 minutes ago, slorch said:

Ask TCU if it is limited to Austin.

They actively market and promote their season tix and game packages in ( futile) attempts to impede the DFW Tech crowd.

And Baylor.  And UTEP, UNM, Rice, SMU, etc.  If the game is at an away venue in Texas or anywhere near Texas and you don't regularly sell out your venue, Red Raiders will take it over, assuming that Tech is at least decent in that sport

Tech has the odd situation where the vast majority of its supporters and alumni live in DFW, Houston, and big cities 300+ miles from campus.  So when they get a chance to make an easy trip to a game, they jump on the opportunity.  

31 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

everything chris beard did to build a top flight environment has been undone overnight. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

everything chris beard did to build a top flight environment has been undone overnight. 

If you win big or almost win big, the great atmosphere will follow.  Cart, horse, push, pull and all that

Hell, at Tech, even the sports dumb nerds and foreign students love going to games

• Hook 'Em 1

The atmosphere was the worst I have seen at Moody.  Could be because the students are still gone.  But I think it is also a symptom of the general lack of leadership on the team.  SOMEBODY (Hunter?) should have been motioning for the crowd to get up and get engaged.  Instead the team and the crowd were just blah.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

If you win big or almost win big, the great atmosphere will follow.  Cart, horse, push, pull and all that

Hell, at Tech, even the sports dumb nerds and foreign students love going to games

not here. beard created an environment like we’d never had before, and with the moody center it was going up even another notch. not even in barnes’ heyday could we get non conference crowds like the ones beard brought. that guy went WAY above and beyond what i’ve seen any other HC do to get asses in the seats. one year later, and it’s over. back to the FEC mausoleum crowds.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Nobody is as good as Beard at building and sustaining interest from the fans. It is his superpower. He is an incredible promoter and we will never get anyone who is that good again.  Because there isn't anybody that good.

More than anything, that is why the Tech fans were so butt hurt when he left. Because he had been promoting his ass off for them for years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Ask TCU if it is limited to Austin.

They actively market and promote their season tix and game packages in ( futile) attempts to impede the DFW Tech crowd.

TCU is an outlier. Everyone outsells them there, even Texas. 

You don’t see tech fans overtaking arenas at k state, ou, or osu. We will see if they do the same at uh here in a few days—I doubt it. They’ve done what they’ve done in Austin the last 5 years because of a) beard and their hatred and b) their view of Texas to them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Nobody is as good as Beard at building and sustaining interest from the fans. It is his superpower. He is an incredible promoter and we will never get anyone who is that good again.  Because there isn't anybody that good.

More than anything, that is why the Tech fans were so butt hurt when he left. Because he had been promoting his ass off for them for years.

The winning helped more than the fireside chats, but yeah, Beard is great at selling his culture/ program. 

I was at the game too.  It was really hot in the arena.  Was that why our guys were slipping all over the place?  Refs were shitty, but equally shitty.  Crowd seemed loud, but way too many ttech fans.  We played flat, shitty, incoherent, etc.  Anytime there was a sense of momentum swing in our favor, we'd fuck it up with a turnover or ugly missed shot.  Bottom line, the team looked like they forgot how to play basketball.

• Hook 'Em 1

Last night was odd - arena was suffocatingly hot in my section, had usual amount of season ticket profiteers selling to Red Raiders, team lacked energy, students not fully back/had people who look like they have never been to a game sitting behind the basket.

6 hours ago, Pancho said:

TCU is an outlier. Everyone outsells them there, even Texas. 

You don’t see tech fans overtaking arenas at k state, ou, or osu. We will see if they do the same at uh here in a few days—I doubt it. They’ve done what they’ve done in Austin the last 5 years because of a) beard and their hatred and b) their view of Texas to them 

One factor is that the panhandle simply has a much longer love affair with basketball than the rest of the state.  Football is still first like the rest of Texas, but basketball has been serious business for a long time up there. I'm not talking Tech/Texas but rather what the average sports fan is interested in, starting from kids on up to the olds, and what sport is played more often by the kids.   I think it's weather related.  Real winters = basketball.

As for showing up for road games in Austin lately, they were doing it decades ago as well.  They quieted down for a stretch due to sucking so badly after Knight left and his kid took over, but they've been one of the better-traveling fanbases for basketball in Texas for a long time.  These days, there are also a lot more Tech alum in Austin than there used to be, and they will show up for an easy local game.  Historically they were mostly in DFW, with a decent chunk in Houston.  They do in fact show up in Norman and Stillwater, as well as Waco (even moreso than in Austin at times). I agree I haven't noticed them in mass at either Kansas school, but they are both a longer drive.   They'll be out in force for Houston games now, no doubt.

As for the near constant apathy regarding Texas basketball over the years, idfk.  We're a football school/fanbase.  I guess it's as simple as that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

God damnit i fucking hate Chris Beard. Guy cant handle his personal life and leaves us with this middling ass coach who we just had to hire because a bunch of people who dont even watch or care about our team told us we had to.

I’m sure everyone on this board has lived their personal lives to impeccably high standards and never seriously fucked up. 
“Why do you notice the spec in your brother’s eye, but ignore the log in your own?”

Edited by El Squared

And the hype dude was terrible. If you insist on acting like we don’t know how Texas, Fight works, yell out Texas once at the beginning. Not all 10 times until you were ready for the cheer to be over.

there was no point in the fans yelling TEXAS because your screaming drowned out any noise the crowd would have made anyway.

29 minutes ago, El Squared said:

As to the somewhat ridiculous question: “who are we gonna hire in 2 years?”……the good news is that CDC will have A LOT of time to scour the applicant pool. Starting now.

Shit man, he started last January.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Crowd was awful.

But did anyone get a shot of the woman on the big screen with the semi-see through shirt without a bra? 

Bump. Come on people, we've got a request here! Be helpful. 

On 1/7/2024 at 9:13 AM, Pancho said:

Texas is 1-5 at home against tech the last 6 games. Not only that, at least 5 of the last 6 games at home against tech have sounded like tech home games. They have done something over there when it comes to tickets in Austin or they just go all in on away games in Austin because they don’t travel like that anywhere else (especially since the SEC move and us not playing them in anything anymore). That alone should keep CDC up at night. And then couple in the fact that CDC is a basketball guy? I bet he’s angry because i fucking am. 

On 1/7/2024 at 9:33 AM, PantsTent said:

There were a good amount of Tech fans, but they didn't take over the arena. They were just louder consistently because their team controlled the majority of the game and our crowd, as it has pretty much always been, waits to be entertained and satisfied before getting loudly involved for any length of time.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 2