Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

Kinda odd for an invitational tournament schedule to bleed into Monday unless weather plays a factor. Not sure why we can't play Penn State Sunday afternoon.

Did Penn St get in late? Because they didn’t play their first game until today. 

5 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

Damn....just checking in.  Where are the bats?

This is a really good pitcher. We just also ran ourselves out of an inning 

Posted (edited)

2 more games before our first conference series, but we aren’t done with non-conf yet (still play @ LSU, @ FSU and host Texas St and Nicholls)

PSU tomorrow

UTA Wednesday 

UH next weekend 

Edited by Js1

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I'm noticing a trend where any pitcher with a good changeup seems to shutdown our lineup.  

So we need more live batting practice against Simpson? 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

So we need more live batting practice against Simpson? 

Ha - prob not a bad idea.  I bet coach throws a decent one. 

I'd like to see our approach change a little and start hunting it, especially against girls that like to pitch backwards with it.  

Heading into conference play, my guess would be

Fridays - Citlaly

Saturday - Kavan (backed up by Czech and Simpson to close it out)

Sunday - Mac on a short leash with Citlaly ready to come in 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Out Whataburgered said:

And down goes Oklahoma and their 71 game winning streak, losing to Louisiana 7-5 this afternoon. 

Finally. Think it means LSU is the last unbeaten?

Edited by Js1

34 minutes ago, Out Whataburgered said:

And down goes Oklahoma and their 71 game winning streak, losing to Louisiana 7-5 this afternoon. 

OU was an absolute shit show in this game. Multiple errors in multiple innings, including the 8th.

Just now, FloridaHorn said:

OU was an absolute shit show in this game. Multiple errors in multiple innings, including the 8th.

They’re mortal this year. They needed a walk off Friday night at home against ULM and then lost today. 

4 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Penn State (15-1) hasn’t played a strong schedule but they have beaten Arkansas and Kansas. They don’t have stellar pitching but they score a lot of runs to make up for it. Need our bats to be alive this evening 

Gonna guess Kavan is starting. This is their best start in a long time. Monday evening softball is nice 😎 

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Gonna guess Kavan is starting. This is their best start in a long time. Monday evening softball is nice 😎 

Agreed on the hot start....

Kavan has been better than I had hoped, and has the looks of a legitimate staff ace

Atwood has elevated her game to an entirely different level and should be in all conversations for POY this season

Stewart has adjusted quickly to collegiate pitching and seems to hit the ball hard every AB

Goode is starting to look like the player she was last year and now White has to find a way to get them all in the line up.

Mitchell has proven to be a solid portal pick up, but she may be the odd man out by the time this line up is settled

Scott's speed is a must in the order, but she makes us worse where ever she plays defensively

Henry has been really solid at the top of the order and can run, slap, and hit for power

Dayton is back to looking like she did her first season on the Horns, and is a spark plug on offense

This roster has so much positional versatility along with speed and power. It must make Coach White feel like he has 35 girls on the roster.

• Hook 'Em 3

My dream lineup is still

2 Atwood

3 Stewie

4 Goode

5 Mitchell

6 Martinez

7 Henry

8 Dayton

9 Maloney

DP Scott

But I think we may have to live with Washington at SS for now. Not sure what’s going on with Vivi or if it’s just too many players and not enough room and Mike won’t relegate his Captain to the bench 

1 minute ago, torre said:

We still play games against:

#1 LSU
#5 OU (3)
#10 OKST (3)
#19 Texas State
#26 Baylor (3)
#30 FSU
#34 KU (3)
#36 Texas Tech (3)
#43 Houston (3)

The rest of the Big 12 slate is sub-50: #62 UCF, #69 BYU, #162 Iowa State

We lost out on #28 Kentucky.  UNC and NW aren't high RPI teams so those weren't huge losses

Our RPI is going to be fine just based on having 12 more top-30 matches and 21 more top 50 matches.  The Big 12 is strong.