We are not going to make it -OpenAI's SORA

UTGrad98

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I'm not trying to say everyone is an idiot in here and take away from the cool factor, I'm trying to temper the hyperbolic OMFG GAMECHANGER nature of this a bit. It's not even close to there yet and watching this thread is like watching some analyst try to justify 80x forward earning on Nvidia. 

pulp fiction check out the big brain on brett GIF

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

except its not and this isn't something new. Frame generation tech has been around for a while. Compute isn't growing geometrically, it's at best linear with a declining curve. The new GPU's aren't somehow miraculously shitting all over the old GPU's. Same with CPU's. also neural networks have been around a long time. This whole idea of boiling the entire internet and distilling a model that you can generate stuff from is also not at all new. 

im aware the general AI concept isnt as novel as some in mainstream people believe. i did published, applied industry work with neural nets over a decade ago, and that was merely regurgitating a basic technique (backprop ann, and competitive learning) invented decades before. 

but commercial access to generative ai creating results with quality of this caliber was not available before. it never approached it. you would not have expected typing in “horses running along a beach at dusk being chased by helicopers”, and expect a photorealistic video clip. 

youre dismissing all this on the basis of the (not) novelty of the idea. but i bet you didnt expect it to be here. and moreover, the point is the pace at which its coming here is srsly insane. 

13 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

im aware the general AI concept isnt as novel as some in mainstream people believe. i did published, applied industry work with neural nets over a decade ago, and that was merely regurgitating a basic technique (backprop ann, and competitive learning) invented decades before. 

but commercial access to generative ai creating results with quality of this caliber was not available before. it never approached it. you would not have expected typing in “horses running along a beach at dusk being chased by helicopers”, and expect a photorealistic video clip. 

youre dismissing all this on the basis of the (not) novelty of the idea. but i bet you didnt expect it to be here. and moreover, the point is the pace at which its coming here is srsly insane. 

I mean I'm working with the largest infrastructure and applications providers on planet earth. I'm not being dismissive, I'm on the front lines and I'm telling you this isn't anything more than throwing money at something to show novelty. It's not in any way useful or even practical at this point. 

4 hours ago, immamac said:

Have none of you seen video games with generated scenes? They look really good any you can interact with them and control them dynamically. This isn’t some far fetched weird take between what’s real and fake, its just a neat demo that makes a moving picture instead of a still like midjourney is doing.

Am i misreading this comparison? A very pretty video game scene has discrete characters and objects, in a designed environment. All the dimensions and boundaries are fixed and known. 

This system isnt merely recognizing (ie pattern matching) and re-creating an object (“what is a dog”).  Making a moving picture means making all of the objects in the scene and “knowing” how each behave such that the dog articulates properly and the camera moves around the scene and the lighting and shading interacts with each properly. 

IMO youre over-trivializing it. 

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

Because no technology ever advances or is made scalable.

My fear of AI has nothing to do with a singularity and sentience, that is very far off and/or unlikely.  My fear is the moment of convergence between quality and commoditization, which is coming sooner than we will be ready for.  It's the point in time when any asshole can prompt: make a video of my political opponent having sex with a minor and the AI spits out something that is virtually indistinguishable from reality.

Reality is already obscured by the relatively slow stream of human generated misinformation.  AI is going to increase the amount and quality of the bullshit by orders of magnitude and make it incredibly difficult to understand what is happening unless you are there to personally witness it.

All of this.  Especially paragraph two.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, immamac said:

Would love for you to unpack that one for me. 

For me this is indirect vs direct. People blamed the violence in video games for school shootings which may or may not be true. Sora is directly assaulting truth as we know it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

"Sela Ward and Susanna Hoffs doing a joint striptease for Brisketexan, seated in a recliner enjoying a coldbeer."

Now that, fellas, is how you write an AI video prompt.

mmmmm, Susanna Hoffs walk like an egyptian with no clothes on

Edited by Grande Mart