Patio shade options

We have an outdoor patio. This picture is facing approximately west, so we get a couple hours in the afternoon/evening when the sun is blazing between the roof and the fence.

Would like to buy some shades. I was thinking the roll type, but I’m having trouble sourcing some wide enough. The distance between posts is about 13 feet. Only need them to be about 2-3 feet long. What other options are there that I should look at?

IMG_6979.thumb.jpeg.254fdb220e7d75e9de090f7ef0de2aec.jpeg

24 minutes ago, tokamak said:

We have an outdoor patio. This picture is facing approximately west, so we get a couple hours in the afternoon/evening when the sun is blazing between the roof and the fence.

Would like to buy some shades. I was thinking the roll type, but I’m having trouble sourcing some wide enough. The distance between posts is about 13 feet. Only need them to be about 2-3 feet long. What other options are there that I should look at?

Yeah, I couldn't find anything longer than 115in (9.5 ft) for roller. TBH anything longer probably not practical for roller.  If only needing a couple feet drop as well they would be overkill price/use wise.

I'd consider maybe just going with drapes that you can pull shut as needed. It's going to be much cheaper and easier for the couple hours your thinking, plus would offer noise/privacy at other times as needed for those sides.

image.png.811aed2b384d64f5e5c4148a6fd38a89.png

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah, I couldn't find anything longer than 115in (9.5 ft) for roller. TBH anything longer probably not practical for roller.  If only needing a couple feet drop as well they would be overkill price/use wise.

I'd consider maybe just going with drapes that you can pull shut as needed. It's going to be much cheaper and easier for the couple hours your thinking, plus would offer noise/privacy at other times as needed for those sides.

image.png.811aed2b384d64f5e5c4148a6fd38a89.png

Had that thought, too. We could either do full length like your picture or even just little short ones (might look weird? Question for the wife.). With a 13 foot span I'd probably have to support them in the middle.

Other thought I had was some sort of hanging (fake?) plant situation.

Also, the little hand in your screenshot is fucking me up. I was like why won't my mouse move??

I'm looking to add drapes to our patio as well. Already have roller, would like drapes for winter to keep warmer and cut down wind.

Will need support in middle, but can get  "C"-hooks that will slide over the middle support so drapes can go full span or pulled to either side.

On length, I'd be concerned shorter ones wouldn't be heavy enough to not sway with the wind and blind people periodically who are looking that direction.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not sure of its technical/brand name, but it is a black mesh material that greenhouses and nursery's use to cover plants.  It keeps most of the sun off the young plants.  I'm sure you could get a custom size, grommet spacing and sun blocking percentage.  Here's a link to what I'm referring.

Greenhouses - Bed Bath & Beyond (bedbathandbeyond.com)

• Hook 'Em 1

I have something similar. I used turnbuckles and wire that I string across the span, used some eye hooks to give it stability in the middle, and attached carabiners to the outdoor curtains to secure them. I take them down when we aren’t using them. It doesn’t take long at all and they are easy to put on/take down.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/22/2024 at 3:24 PM, tokamak said:

are you opposed to having a split across each span? likely will save money, even if you do find one long enough.

see if you find one you like, go and look a few places, and reach out directly to the manufacturer. i've been pleasantly surprised with the information i've gotten from them about this.

---

not inexpensive but costco has a deal with sunsetters for 20% off. here are their prices, and they go up to 12'

actually looks like they are 20% off right now from their site: https://www.sunsetter.com/c/easyshades/manual-easyshades/

image.thumb.png.3d0d7f98854831b3d5b68c02e9382ffe.png

---

actually, this company sells what you probably need, in widths up to what you are looking for for ~650 per shade if it's 13' x 3x

https://www.maantaoutdoor.com/exterior-roller-shades/14367-reef-roll-custom.html

they have cable guides, which is important for what you need since it isn't going all the way down

image.png.866cd69fb9d20fb714044947b98cd720.png

image.png

• Hook 'Em 1