San Marcos/Buda/Kyle

ztejas

Thought we could start a catch-all for the Souf Austin burbs. Going to be staying in Kyle for at least a couple of months and my mom just bought a house out there.

Also open for suggestions in places like Wimberley.

Anything in Buda/Kyle I should know about? Any BBQ?

Kyle, like San Marcos, Leander, and a few other places has decided that their best path to becoming a better place is to get big. Growth and development is impressive.  But like most places, it's just the same stores and strip malls. Nothing new or interesting.

Kyle bills itself as the Pie Capitol of Texas....all because of one store that has a big pie sign and mediocre pie. It's worth trying, but it's not going to blow you away.

There is a big college stadium a few hours east of Austin named after a member of the family that founded Kyle.

Cabela's is enjoyable to kill a couple hours in (if you're a guy).

The Kyle Fire Department is very good.

That is pretty much all I know about Buda/Kyle.

3 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Valentina's in Buda is a work in progress.  Great building and a full bar.  Hope that they get their shit together.

my dad and brother stopped on the way to Texas / OU. ‘Sold out’ brisket and ribs around noon time

14 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I had no inside knowledge, but knew that things were not working.  It could be a really cool place.

like i said my dad and brother stopped texas / ou Friday around lunch time and they didn’t have much for sale 

For Buda:

Best BBQ is Louie's Craft BBQ (food truck). Not mind-blowing but decent brisket and closer than driving to real deal places.

Valentina's hopefully will fix their shit and re-open to be as good as their food truck was back in the day.

Quite a few restaurants just around Main St.

We like Mudbugs - the New Orleans BBQ shrimp are amazing. Bacon wrapped shrimp entree is very good.

Main St. Pizzeria is pretty good.

Brooklyn's Down South was underwhelming on our visit.

Gotji's Kitchen Thai (food truck) - I had "The Best Pad Thai", and accurate name is accurate.

• Hook 'Em 1

Summer 2022, I matched with this girl from Austin on hinge. We agreed to meet at the MOD pizza on Kyle pkwy & 35 for our first date (I lived in San Antonio). Ate there then walked around target, WTF else do you do in kyle on a weekday night. When we were done we ended up making out in her car in the corner with the trees of the MOD strip center parking lot and she gave me a handjob. Which normally aren’t that awesome but that one was different. 

So that’s all I really think about when that area comes up. 

• Haha 1

Spent 2022-2023 in Kyle before moving to my current place.

Taco trucks, a bunch of legit ones on Beebe road east of 35.

Hays Co. BBQ in San Marcos was Top 50 in TM last go round... moving to smaller/new location sometime soon.

Garcia's on Lehman for no frills tex-mex... great charro beans.

Mudbugs in Buda was good.

Spicy Bite on Hays trail was always highly recommended. It wasn't bad, but never lived up to the hype people gave it.

Hays City Store... great venue to chill and have a drink... food was consistent and good, but I can't think of a specific dish that is must-have.