Austin deck contractors?

We have a back patio (elevated, covered, two levels) that is wood...and needs real work.  It's both a usability issue and a safety issue (it has railings, as it's high up in the air, and one of those railings that's most exposed to the elements just collapsed from rot).  

We'd like to replace the deck material with composite material (we know that's more expensive than wood, as we did so on the front deck last year as part of a larger home remodel), and we have to replace all of the railings so that they are reliable and safe.  We also know that with the material change (composite isn't as rigid as wood), we might need to add joists.  And, that end of the house has structural piers that run from the roof to the ground.  So, there's likely some engineering work that would need to go with it as well.  We'll get back in touch with our contractor from last year, but deck work is just one of the things they do -- don't know if they'd take on a job that is JUST deck work.

So, any recommendations in Austin for a good deck contractor who could handle something that has structural elements/concerns involved as well?

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We have a back patio (elevated, covered, two levels) that is wood...and needs real work.  It's both a usability issue and a safety issue (it has railings, as it's high up in the air, and one of those railings that's most exposed to the elements just collapsed from rot).  

We'd like to replace the deck material with composite material (we know that's more expensive than wood, as we did so on the front deck last year as part of a larger home remodel), and we have to replace all of the railings so that they are reliable and safe.  We also know that with the material change (composite isn't as rigid as wood), we might need to add joists.  And, that end of the house has structural piers that run from the roof to the ground.  So, there's likely some engineering work that would need to go with it as well.  We'll get back in touch with our contractor from last year, but deck work is just one of the things they do -- don't know if they'd take on a job that is JUST deck work.

So, any recommendations in Austin for a good deck contractor who could handle something that has structural elements/concerns involved as well?

I'm the Production Manager for Austex Fence and Deck. Reach out to us at 512-258-5000. We do great work. Ask for Neil to be your estimator as he's the most experienced of all the salesmen  when it comes to decks. Added joists will be needed for the reason you stated above. Unfortunately, we would not be able to warranty the framing since it will be existing but you can certainly get it engineered to ensure every aspect is done correctly or we can add it to the bid and we can use the company we use. Let me know if you have any questions going forward even if you don't decide to use us for your new deck. 

4 hours ago, T-shirt Sip said:

I'm the Production Manager for Austex Fence and Deck. Reach out to us at 512-258-5000. We do great work. Ask for Neil to be your estimator as he's the most experienced of all the salesmen  when it comes to decks. Added joists will be needed for the reason you stated above. Unfortunately, we would not be able to warranty the framing since it will be existing but you can certainly get it engineered to ensure every aspect is done correctly or we can add it to the bid and we can use the company we use. Let me know if you have any questions going forward even if you don't decide to use us for your new deck. 

Dude. Let’s do a deck spiff deal as a trade for promo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Send me a PM. What do you have in mind? The owner is an aggy but I can talk to him. 

I have in mind a sweet deal on a new deck at Casa Brisket, in exchange for my endorsement: “as a holder of a great deal utterly useless and frankly, undeserved, rep on Surlyhorns, I recommend these dudes. PM Derka for your coupon.”
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, T-shirt Sip said:

Send me a PM. What do you have in mind? The owner is an aggy but I can talk to him. 

Does he care about sports? lol I’ll do it if he comes in the podcast. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Does he care about sports? lol I’ll do it if he comes in the podcast. 

He’s a former aggy pitcher from the 70’s And his son pitched at Baylor in the 00’s so yes, he cares about sports. I don’t know if he would do a podcast for a Texas affiliate though. It is a business and he cares about money so he might be interested. I’ll ask him when he gets back from Europe late next week. 

44 minutes ago, T-shirt Sip said:

He’s a former aggy pitcher from the 70’s And his son pitched at Baylor in the 00’s so yes, he cares about sports. I don’t know if he would do a podcast for a Texas affiliate though. It is a business and he cares about money so he might be interested. I’ll ask him when he gets back from Europe late next week. 

What a weirdo. Lmao 

I schooling. Thought I'd throw my hat in the ring. Hmu if anyone needs anything for exterior surfaces, railings, swimming pools etc. or if your wife or SO just needs a good schlonging.

• 2 weeks later...

Sheeeee-it.  We have around 1000 s. ft. of deck, and around 100 linear feet of railing, and a staircase.  The bids thus far are......for lots of money.

May end up just doing some repairs to get us a couple more years, save up some money to do a full replacement project then.  I got a kid to get through college still.