Maryland player died of heatstroke, DJ Durkin placed on administrative leave

Gil Bang

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Good that they are more responsive now. A little scary that their training/medical staff, from the part of the article I read, seems not to know hypoglycemia when they see it. Blood sugar is not some arcane new branch of medicine.

• 3 months later...

One thing that's crazy to me is that Matt Canada is unemployed right now.  Dude appeared *this* close to getting the Maryland HC job and had a decent first year at Maryland, despite a host of distractions and bad injury luck.  His offense has been shown to be pretty effective.  But he's jobless right now.

We ought to bring him in for an analyst role, if for nothing more than letting him shadow the program and tell Orlando what they saw on film that allowed MD to light our defense up.

May also ask him for some tips on how to get the jet sweep working, because he's a master at it, and Herman appears to really suck at coaching the blocking scheme for it.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Jesus fucking Christ a nearly identical death happened at Garden City CC: https://deadspin.com/report-coaches-wasted-25-minutes-before-calling-parame-1835313790

All of these heat stroke / exhaustion related deaths piss me off.  I figured as intelligent people we would have learned something by now. I remember back in 1980 working for a power line crew in Lebanon Kentucky a young man who fell into heat exhaustion / heat stroke. The intelligent leadership we had responded by taking a 10-gallon water cooler packed with ice and water and dumped  it over his head. It caused a  severe reaction that I don't think he ever got over.  He hasd a seizureI of sorts screaming.  I don't think he ever recovered, I say don't think because I left the company 6 months later. I know the last time I talked to Jim it was like talking to a severely mentally challenged four year old. This is 22 year old man that while not highly educated, and being from rural Kentucky did not have many of the advantages little lot of people do. He did however possess an incredible work ethic, an incredible desire to learn and to excel. He was truly a man with a heart of  gold willing to help anyone and everyone. Here all these years later I do not know what happened to him but from the last time I talked to him I expect that he has had a horrible time since the injury.

Maybe that could have been laid off to ignorance, but I refuse to believe that. I refuse to believe that as strongly as I refuse to believe now some of the stupidity that is seen in taking care of athletes with obvious keep the stress

End rant, screw the son of a b******.

Edited by SHOOTER12

All of these heat stroke / exhaustion related deaths piss me off.  I figured as intelligent people we would have learned something by now. I remember back in 1980 working for a power line crew in Lebanon Kentucky a young man who fell into heat exhaustion / heat stroke. The intelligent leadership we had responded by taking a 10-gallon water cooler packed with ice and water and dumped  it over his head. It caused a  severe reaction that I don't think he ever got over.  He hasd a seizureI of sorts screaming.  I don't think he ever recovered, I say don't think because I left the company 6 months later. I know the last time I talked to Jim it was like talking to a severely mentally challenged four year old. This is 22 year old man that while not highly educated, and being from rural Kentucky did not have many of the advantages little lot of people do. He did however possess an incredible work ethic, an incredible desire to learn and to excel. He was truly a man with a heart of  gold willing to help anyone and everyone. Here all these years later I do not know what happened to him but from the last time I talked to him I expect that he has had a horrible time since the injury.
Maybe that could have been laid off to ignorance, but I refuse to believe that. I refuse to believe that as strongly as I refuse to believe now some of the stupidity that is seen in taking care of athletes with obvious keep the stress
End rant, screw the son of a b******.

They tried to help. They fucked up, but they didn’t fuck around like Maryland did (iirc)

Just now, Nivek said:

They tried to help. They fucked up, but they didn’t fuck around like Maryland did (iirc)

While true, both results were catastrophic. Train those in charge or GTFO. I Remember myself and a couple others yelling "no" as they dumped the water cooler on him.