Maryland player died of heatstroke, DJ Durkin placed on administrative leave

Gil Bang

WTF- Child molesters, wife beaters, turning a blind eye/enabling rape, not rendering aid to a person in obvious distress. I love college football, but damn this getting to be a lot of baggage. I was offended by Dirty Jackie FedExing $100 bills around to cover up his previous dirty doings, now that seems like small potatoes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

You could only imagine the reaction by Muschamp if a current player of his went on the record with media, to discuss a problem with him.  Then it would be that they need to handle this within the confines of the football family and not running to the press.    

A follow up question should be exactly how would Muschamp want a player to talk on the record against the head coach.

On 8/10/2018 at 7:23 PM, Newy25 said:

Outside of the specific issue with this player they try to frame a toxic culture. And they talk about coaches cussing at players. 

Sensational journalism at its best. This reads like a Chip Brown article. 

Yeah outside of the kid who died of heatstroke there was no evidence of anything at all wrong here and its just an opportunistic sensationalist journalist hit piece.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Richter said:

Any chance that Herman reported the death to try to make game 1 easier?  If so, clearly this is all Texas meddling with another program and we need to leave other schools alone so their coaches can properly discipline thier players and wives.

It was actually Michelle. 

Last photo of Jordan @ the workout:
2a64a86b-1658-42d4-bc3d-ecd794b4b87c-lar

Read today that he received a liver transplant while in the hospital?  Huh?

This story is probably a little deeper than it seems.  As an alum, I'm going to wait until the report comes out from the school.    I've heard reports that he had some medical issues he never disclosed.  I have no idea.  The guy was from the Baltimore area, and I can tell you that 80 degrees is nothing, zilch, in and of itself for guys who live up there.

So, if these guys (coaches) just hazed him for some motivation or something, then yeah, fire the whole fucking lot of 'em.
If there's something else, like they didn't do anything out of the ordinary, and he just happened to be overcome by some unique medical factor, it's a different story.

The "toxic culture" thing is a little overblown to me, but people in the area eat that stuff up... "investigative journalism" and all that.  However, I would never want to play for fucktards that treat me like cattle.  If they did and they tried to somehow devalue it, then fire them yesterday.

McNair was one of the best recruits in the history of the school.  Apparently he was ranked something like the 23rd best lineman in the country by some reputable ranking service. 

will say this though... Maryland is trying to be a football school (again, sort of), but they're first a basketball school... their revenues, gates, TV money, etc. come from basketball.  So I believe the university investigation will not be anything approaching a coverup.  This ain't Ohio State.  They'll  not protect Durkin if the culture really is so bad people can get hurt/die.  I know that much.  Now if this were Mark Turgeon....

Anyway, we'll see when the report comes out, I guess.  They'll put something preliminary out within the next 2 weeks, and that'll do it one way or the other.

Yea normal healthy individuals get heat exhaustion in 80 degree weather, with that being said though they waited way to long to get medical help and this story is why you have to almost go over board and have them with a medical staff nurse or doctor with the first sign of anything.

But, here's the issue. When I played basketball we had to do wall sits for "not giving enough effort" during suicides, in today's society that would regarded as "Bullying". 

This story should be about a kid who I am about certain had medical issues or heart problems or something else undiagnosed as the biggest reason he died and the lack of medical attention or lack of urgency by the football and medical team on campus. It shouldn't be a about a "Culture of bullying". That take is just fucking dumb. Telling a kid to go the extra mile is what gives us goosebumps when we watch Texas Football workout videos in the summer, but a kid dies and now it's they were too hard on him? Every coach in America jumps up every kids ass all practice long and if they aren't preforming or injured they go to the pit or have to do hard workouts. There is real bullying that take place but not everything is bullying or "humiliating"a kid, because now if a coach yells and says "Shane, WTF was that horseshit throw" he can say "the mean coach was humiliating me and was mean". 

The story should be about the kid dying of medical issues, how many times has this happened and it NOT been a undiagnosed heart or medical issue? Literally everyone of them has been that since Hank Gathers died, Hell I bet it was hotter than 80 degrees in the gym he was playing in the 1990's than it was outside on a Maryland may afternoon in the spring.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Making people eat until they throw up, telling staff to “drag his ass off the field” when a player’s head is flopping around, throwing weights at people, making a guy with an injured arm do a one handed tug of war against 10 guys and calling him a pussy bitch  - yeah these are things are just part of sports.  

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Making people eat until they throw up, telling staff to “drag his ass off the field” when a player’s head is flopping around, throwing weights at people, making a guy with an injured arm do a one handed tug of war against 10 guys and calling him a pussy bitch  - yeah these are things are just part of sports.  

You clearly never played sports man. I’ve heard and seen much worse than that. You think nick saban scratches his players backs and tell them to take a play off or a workout? Those behind the scene videos of “inside bama” is all smoke and mirrors and made up bullshit. When those cameras go off those guys get called lazy pussies all practice. 

Also if you think that kid didn’t die from a undisclosed medical issue then point to me another instance where it wasn’t a heart issue or something medical? And literally every other “kid died at practice or workout” all took place in fucking July or August heat of 100+. 

I don’t expect to not get flamed on for saying what I said and especially for guys on here that never played even high level high school sports, I played college basketball(division 3) before transferring to Texas to get my degree and my college coaches was a beast and I was greatful For the way he pushed me beyond what I thought I could do. 

Some stuff is a motivational tool and others are viewed after the fact as a meanie bully. 

Durkin is done though no doubt. 

26 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

You think when a Texas player is in the pit because they say they are hurt and it’s questionable that they aren’t getting called names? LULLZZZZ.. you have your head so far in the sand it’s hilarious. You never played shit did you?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

32 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You clearly never played sports man. I’ve heard and seen much worse than that. You think nick saban scratches his players backs and tell them to take a play off or a workout? Those behind the scene videos of “inside bama” is all smoke and mirrors and made up bullshit. When those cameras go off those guys get called lazy pussies all practice. 

Also if you think that kid didn’t die from a undisclosed medical issue then point to me another instance where it wasn’t a heart issue or something medical? And literally every other “kid died at practice or workout” all took place in fucking July or August heat of 100+. 

I don’t expect to not get flamed on for saying what I said and especially for guys on here that never played even high level high school sports, I played college basketball(division 3) before transferring to Texas to get my degree and my college coaches was a beast and I was greatful For the way he pushed me beyond what I thought I could do. 

Some stuff is a motivational tool and others are viewed after the fact as a meanie bully. 

Durkin is done though no doubt. 

You can motivate and thoroughly work-out somebody and still keep them hydrated.

Hell, most programs- hardasses or not, keep water readily available.  This ain't Junction.  This ain't the 70's.

People fucking know better now.

If dude died from a heart defect or whatever, Maryland is still on the hook for how they conduct practices and if the young man was denied treatment/ hydration.

Edited by slorch

24 minutes ago, slorch said:

Hell, most programs- hardasses or not, keep water readily available.  This ain't Junction.  This ain't the 70's.

If dude died from a heart defect or whatever, Maryland is still on the hook for how they conduct practices and if the young man was denied treatment/ hydration.

I clearly said the lack of medical attention was bullshit and durkin will be fired because of it. 

Calling a kid a fucking pussy happens EVERYWHERE all p[ractice and at Texas. Anyone that thinks otherwise is a idiot. Slorch you think KK at Tech doesn't yell at kids and tell them they are pussies? Really? you think KK doesn't say stuff like "Run it right or no water break"? Again this happens everywhere all practice all the time. 

Sorry for being a realist about what really goes on. The kid died because of a medical issue, how many other lineman that day passed out because of the weather? or had a seizure or over heated? i'm not reading of any unless I missed it somewhere.

25 minutes ago, slorch said:

Isn't that pretty much what he said?

I tend to agree that the article conflates hard-charging coaches and practices with negligent injuries and death.  The two are not synonymous.  They may be somewhat related, though.

18 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I clearly said the lack of medical attention was bullshit and durkin will be fired because of it. 

Calling a kid a fucking pussy happens EVERYWHERE all p[ractice and at Texas. Anyone that thinks otherwise is a idiot. Slorch you think KK at Tech doesn't yell at kids and tell them they are pussies? Really? you think KK doesn't say stuff like "Run it right or no water break"? Again this happens everywhere all practice all the time. 

Sorry for being a realist about what really goes on. The kid died because of a medical issue, how many other lineman that day passed out because of the weather? or had a seizure or over heated? i'm not reading of any unless I missed it somewhere.

Again, I am not decrying pushing/ challenging young men to give their best effort.  Pretty much anyone from Texas who played any level of football above Junior High knows what a bitch the heat can be. There was always a line between being tired and being hurt, including heat injury.  I've shared my military background and also how we worked in the Texas summers growing up.  I currently work in an industry where our frontline employees work 10-12 hours a day in the SE Texas heat and humidity.   Stop acting as if you are the only one clued in on managing physical exertion in the heat/ humidity.

Your other post just seemed like an attempt to rwrite off what happened to some 'freak of nature' accident.  The coaches are getting suspended because of an overreaction of today's enabling culture, right?   It might have been, but where are all of the players/ other parts of the staff saying the victim was getting treatment and then "something weird happened?'  We've seen those before also, correct?  Those coaches are still coaching.

This case seems to have everyone saying it was more nefarious.  Not quite so innocent on the part of the staff.

I guess we'll see what the investigation says.

22 minutes ago, slorch said:

Again, I am not decrying pushing/ challenging young men to give their best effort.  Pretty much anyone from Texas who played any level of football above Junior High knows what a bitch the heat can be. There was always a line between being tired and being hurt, including heat injury.  I've shared my military background and also how we worked in the Texas summers growing up.  I currently work in an industry where our frontline employees work 10-12 hours a day in the SE Texas heat and humidity.   Stop acting as if you are the only one clued in on managing physical exertion in the heat/ humidity.

Your other post just seemed like an attempt to rwrite off what happened to some 'freak of nature' accident.  The coaches are getting suspended because of an overreaction of today's enabling culture, right?   It might have been, but where are all of the players/ other parts of the staff saying the victim was getting treatment and then "something weird happened?'  We've seen those before also, correct?  Those coaches are still coaching.

This case seems to have everyone saying it was more nefarious.  Not quite so innocent on the part of the staff.

I guess we'll see what the investigation says.

I’m not saying that at all I am saying that literally in every case a kid has died in practice it has been because of a underlying medical issue as the biggest issue or cause. I’m not reflecting on if the coaches went over board and matter of fact I stated the medical staff not giving him attention is the worse. 

If kids are dying because coaches are dicks it would happen all the time, every time this has happened it’s been because of medical issues mixed with super high heats. It was 80 degrees. I will be shocked if it’s anything other than a medical issue or heart issue that caused this. 

Durkin should be fired over not giving him medical attention. 

The "it happened in my day" argument is a pretty poor one.

We know better today.  There is no excuse in today's world with all the knowledge around hydration & player safety for this to happen.

There is a different between teaching toughness and being callous and stupid.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Last photo of Jordan @ the workout:
2a64a86b-1658-42d4-bc3d-ecd794b4b87c-lar

Read today that he received a liver transplant while in the hospital?  Huh?

This story is probably a little deeper than it seems.  As an alum, I'm going to wait until the report comes out from the school.    I've heard reports that he had some medical issues he never disclosed.  I have no idea.  The guy was from the Baltimore area, and I can tell you that 80 degrees is nothing, zilch, in and of itself for guys who live up there.

So, if these guys (coaches) just hazed him for some motivation or something, then yeah, fire the whole fucking lot of 'em.
If there's something else, like they didn't do anything out of the ordinary, and he just happened to be overcome by some unique medical factor, it's a different story.

The "toxic culture" thing is a little overblown to me, but people in the area eat that stuff up... "investigative journalism" and all that.  However, I would never want to play for fucktards that treat me like cattle.  If they did and they tried to somehow devalue it, then fire them yesterday.

McNair was one of the best recruits in the history of the school.  Apparently he was ranked something like the 23rd best lineman in the country by some reputable ranking service. 

will say this though... Maryland is trying to be a football school (again, sort of), but they're first a basketball school... their revenues, gates, TV money, etc. come from basketball.  So I believe the university investigation will not be anything approaching a coverup.  This ain't Ohio State.  They'll  not protect Durkin if the culture really is so bad people can get hurt/die.  I know that much.  Now if this were Mark Turgeon....

Anyway, we'll see when the report comes out, I guess.  They'll put something preliminary out within the next 2 weeks, and that'll do it one way or the other.

Heat stroke above 106 can cause organ failure, including the liver. Not saying he didn’t have other conditions that led to his death but the heat stroke is the overwhelming favorite for cause of death. How much of the “toxic culture” is at fault for that is what I’m sure is being determined. 

I don’t really have an issue with much of what was reported other than the delay in treatment for McNair and the eating until vomiting. Nothing else seems out of place at a D1 football program. Calling people bad names to motivate them is distasteful but certainly not an offense that should warrant discipline. 

17 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/RF9rtq8lQjlvy" width="480" height="202" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/film-david-fincher-kevin-spacey-RF9rtq8lQjlvy">via GIPHY</a></p>

giphy.gif

I'm still drunk and hungover but it's completely lost on what's being argued here. The kid's internal temp was 106 an hour after he collapsed. The coaches apparently did nothing to help and allegedly covered up whatever the hell they did for the first hour the kid was in a seizure.  They didn't even do the minimal amount required to reduce the internal temperatures. It's fucking outrageous. This isn't about calling a kid a pussy. 

• Like 2

Listen if  it comes out that nothing else was wrong with the kid then ok, but from what I have read that Conditioning started at 4:15 and by 4:57 he was having issues breathing in 80 degree weather there is no way he didn't have other issues. No other lineman had issues did they? were multiple kids passing out because of the heat? I saw no mention of it anywhere.

These extremely rare occurrences where kids die at practice because of the heat have ALL been heart or some other undiagnosed issue. If this was all just heat related when it was barely 80 degrees then Durkin and the medical staff shouldn't be worried about their job status but having charges filed on them.

And you don’t think “he doesn’t need treatment, he’s just being a pussy” is part and parcel to coaching demeanor, at least in the case of this coaching staff?

hard coaching is one thing, but when someone exhibits signs of not being well, coaches damn sure need to err on the side of caution. If a player behaves like that in 80 degree weather, isn’t that even more reason to have them checked out for other problems like heart problems that you do want to diagnose this kid with?

coaches have to know where the line is drawn. They don’t get to make their own line. 

“It’s not that hot and we haven’t gone that hard” isn’t reason to deny medical care. It’s exac the opposite. 

31 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And you don’t think “he doesn’t need treatment, he’s just being a pussy” is part and parcel to coaching demeanor, at least in the case of this coaching staff?

hard coaching is one thing, but when someone exhibits signs of not being well, coaches damn sure need to err on the side of caution. If a player behaves like that in 80 degree weather, isn’t that even more reason to have them checked out for other problems like heart problems that you do want to diagnose this kid with?

coaches have to know where the line is drawn. They don’t get to make their own line. 

“It’s not that hot and we haven’t gone that hard” isn’t reason to deny medical care. It’s exac the opposite. 

Exactly and no one said anything different. Read people’s full posts and don’t zero in on one part and make that the entire narrative. 

Most have said no excuse to not give quick medical care, if that’s the case they should be arrested, etc. you focus on one part of calling a kid a pussy and make that the entire rant. Lol.

some have opinions that coaches being hard is meanie bullies and most that have that take have had bad experiences with coaches and or sports or bullies at school. I’ve seen it a million times, it’s like goth girls that hate cheerleaders and go full blown psycho on cheer girls and mean girls. 

Some of you wouldn’t be able to stomach a Texas practice I guarantee it. 

I'm a former military emergency physician. The military practices rather hard, even harder than Rockethorn thinks Texas does. Often recruits are called names. But we usually don't blame someone for their own death when it's heat-related. All joking aside, if he suffered an obvious seizure and EMS wasn't immediately notified (and apparently weren't called until an hour later), everyone involved should be facing criminal charges.

Heat stroke will lead to several days in the ICU, but is correctable most of the time, in someone who's young and otherwise in good shape. Every minute counts, though, and after an hour with temps that high, it's pretty much SOL. If a DI/TI has this happen in the military (even with complete recovery), it's a career-ender and possible jail-time.

At least the OL at aggy was apparently treated appropriately and in a timely fashion. McNair deserved much better. The hospital he was transported to is one of the very best in the world for emergency care and they couldn't save him. That says a lot to me professionally.

• Like 6

I’m okay with the name calling, hard ass coaches.  But with body temps that high and not calling EMS for an hour, that’s not good. I don’t know if it’s the coach or the head trainer, but whoever made the call to not make the call is probably in some deep doo doo

23 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Maryland was stupid for leaving the ACC. Maryland was really stupid for allowing this kind of culture to develop on their campus. And to think they used to be offended when people questioned Lefty.

Big 10 was even dumber for inviting them and Rutgers