Maryland player died of heatstroke, DJ Durkin placed on administrative leave

Gil Bang

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ok, I've lost track. Enlighten me, because this could be entertaining.

Not really.  Zach Smith lite.

Evans was forced out as Georgia’s athletic director within days of his June 30, 2010, arrest in Atlanta on a charge of driving under the influence of alcohol. A 28-year-old woman, not his wife, was in the car with him at the time. Evans later pleaded guilty to DUI and was sentenced to 12 months of probation and 40 hours of community service.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/damon-evans-opens-during-visit-atl/teGKOgxcNNT3Be1fiZtT8L/

6 hours ago, kopp0e said:

As cash strapped as the Maryland athletic department was just a few years back, having to pay off a coach & hire a new, plus pay off an AD & hire a new; might be too much for the Terp program right now...

not if they fire him for cause.  

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They fired Court in terms of letting him go for 2/3 of his remaining contract.  He received his walking papers and 300K in cash yesterday.   

Looks like Maryland is taking the steps to buy their way out of the scandal as quickly as possible.  guessing they have already settled with the victim's family or have some rough numbers agreed upon.  I can't imagine Maryland is going to wait for the report to pay off the family.   I also wouldn't be surprised if Durkin is in negotiations to resign and they finalize it during the late Friday afternoon news cycle. 

While it can be expensive to pay everyone off, it might be cheaper than continuing to see your reputation drug through the mud.   

Steps to get this behind you:

• settle with the family
  • fire/pay off staff directly involved
  • accept resignation/pay off staff indirectly involved.  HC and perhaps AD if the thought is they created the environment
  • Put independent oversight in place for future / Allow for anonymous reporting for future incidents
  • have appropriate emergency medical techs on-site for every practice
  • (quietly go back to old ways over next few years)

AKA the what-Penn-State-should-have-done plan. How high are their legal fees now? And the issue still isn't dead.

Holy shit, watching cfb live. Joey Galloway is trying to defend the Maryland situation stating he does not have enough information to think Durkin or the Head Trainer should be fired. He was talking down Acho for wanting action since the f'n president admitted to negligent behavior. All for his cultish fandom of tosu/urbs. He and Desmond Howard are awful and guess what state they are f'n from?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Exactly what kind of notification does the Maryland coaching staff require to be alerted that a medical emergency is taking place?

Maryland_Coaching_Staff_Invite.jpg

Well, there's the first problem... College Park doesn't have an EMS!  If you tried to get them, you'd get nobody.
That would be the county EMS, Prince George's.
Yeah, hah hah and all... but accuracy. [/#grewupinPG]

• Like 1

10 hours ago, woohorn said:

Dumb q maybe, but didn't this kid die in May?

How can they not know what happened by now?

There are two key timelines in this tragedy:

• The critical hour that the young man lay on the field without receiving medical assistance of any kind
  • The long period of time that absolutely nothing has transpired until ESPN published their article last week, and suddenly Maryland is placing coaches on suspension, etc. What has been going on all this time? Was Casey Anthony also handling this investigation?  
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Well, there's the first problem... College Park doesn't have an EMS!  If you tried to get them, you'd get nobody.
That would be the county EMS, Prince George's.
Yeah, hah hah and all... but accuracy. [/#grewupinPG]

Oh, and before some smarty aleck posts this:

formal9.jpg

And says, HA HA FUCK YOU PHD, YOU SUCK (which they'll accurately say anyway), THERE IS A COLLEGE PARK EMS ...

Well, no.  You dial 911 and it goes to the COUNTY EMS, who MIGHT dispatch the College Park unit - OR some other County unit if CP is on a call.  But it's part of PG EMS.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Oh, and before some smarty aleck posts this:

formal9.jpg

And says, HA HA FUCK YOU PHD, YOU SUCK (which they'll accurately say anyway), THERE IS A COLLEGE PARK EMS ...

Well, no.  You dial 911 and it goes to the COUNTY EMS, who MIGHT dispatch the College Park unit - OR some other County unit if CP is on a call.  But it's part of PG EMS.

I don't know. That sure looks like a College Park EMS, so I am standing by the language on my original artwork. (which I totally guessed at, LOL) 

Regardless, I am getting a kick out of your focusness on this arcane detail of my post, so keep it up. And hey, I learned a little more about a part of the country that I don't know that much about, aside from knowing that antiques are more affordable there than in the NY metro area and that one of my good friends is highly allergic to Blue Crabs, but that's another story.

3 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

I don't know. That sure looks like a College Park EMS, so I am standing by the language on my original artwork. (which I totally guessed at, LOL) 

Regardless, I am getting a kick out of your focusness on this arcane detail of my post, so keep it up. And hey, I learned a little more about a part of the country that I don't know that much about, aside from knowing that antiques are more affordable there than in the NY metro area and that one of my good friends is highly allergic to Blue Crabs, but that's another story.

phd going all ronin on you. surprised he didn't ask you what color was the boathouse at hereford

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Like 2

It just keeps getting better in the DMV.  Don't think the guy who took them to the Big Ten is going to be there much longer.

A year before Jordan McNair’s death, Maryland president nixed plan to overhaul athletes’ health care

One year before University of Maryland football player Jordan McNair died after collapsing at a team workout, the school’s athletic department submitted a proposal that would have fundamentally changed how health care was delivered to athletes, a drastic overhaul aimed at better aligning the school with NCAA recommendations. But the plan was never implemented, its recommendations nixed by Maryland President Wallace D. Loh, according to three people with knowledge of the situation.

Kevin Anderson, Maryland’s athletic director at the time, sent a memo to Loh dated May 19, 2017, that spelled out the changes the athletic department aimed to make in its management of athlete injuries and illnesses, calling for the school to establish an independent medical care model. The memo, which was obtained by The Washington Post, also called for athletic trainers to report to the University of Maryland School of Medicine in Baltimore and to be autonomous from any influence by the school’s athletic department.

“This relationship also better aligns resources and expertise under one umbrella aimed at improving patient care, staff education and clinical research in the care of athletic conditions and injuries,” the memo read.

Loh rejected the proposal last August because he did not want to allow medical personnel decisions to be made by another institution, according to the three people who had direct knowledge of Anderson’s proposal and Loh’s response. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak about the matter.

21 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

It just keeps getting better in the DMV.  Don't think the guy who took them to the Big Ten is going to be there much longer.

A year before Jordan McNair’s death, Maryland president nixed plan to overhaul athletes’ health care

They have to be gone.

There has to be a time when the Board or Regents at these schools put a stop to this shit.

For you fuckers arguing over the EMS origination, unless you are suggesting that no EMS service is available on campus; who gives a flying fuck from what municipality/ precinct they might originate?

32 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

I haven't been keeping up with this in great detail.  Why would the Maryland President be fired?  I get the coach and the AD.   

Short version: apparently the athletic department suggested improvements to the way players' health were handled and the president denied it to keep control of the heath care professionals.

Edited by Hurtlocker

29 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Mo' Money Mo' Problems

They should join baylor in the ulgy-uniforms despicable leadership football conference. Just like the Big 12 and baylor, the conference will probably do absolutely nothing about Maryland.

c5339043e41eed5bb7e7876a1ceecda5.png

What's wrong with their uni's, it matches their flag which I think is badass and its a unique look with a color scheme that isn't similar to other schools.  

19 minutes ago, Shmitty said:

What's wrong with their uni's, it matches their flag which I think is badass and its a unique look with a color scheme that isn't similar to other schools.  

Yeah thats a unique color scheme, white, black, yellow, and red. I get that it looks like their flag, but their flag is fucking ugly. It would only be worse if it was one of those light blue flags with the state seal on it. Maybe I'm just too much into flags and colors. 

This avant-garde piece of no good bullshit. Someone was trying way too hard here. Are you a racing flag or a deck of cards? Points for being from the future, but is an abstract painting no one would buy.

https://medium.com/branding-the-nations/the-good-the-meh-and-the-ugly-3efb49195591

https://www.thrillist.com/gear/all-50-us-state-flags-ranked#

Don't get me started on their mascot, outfit or CGI version.

52717ce1972f9102df0830f5657c609b.jpgmaryland-terrapins-testudo-makeover.jpg

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Yeah thats a unique color scheme, white, black, yellow, and red. I get that it looks like their flag, but their flag is fucking ugly. It would only be worse if it was one of those light blue flags with the state seal on it. Maybe I'm just too much into flags and colors. 

https://medium.com/branding-the-nations/the-good-the-meh-and-the-ugly-3efb49195591

https://www.thrillist.com/gear/all-50-us-state-flags-ranked#

Don't get me started on their mascot, outfit or CGI version.

52717ce1972f9102df0830f5657c609b.jpgmaryland-terrapins-testudo-makeover.jpg

They have the best looking flag in the union, IMO. 

Edited by Shmitty

I love their flag, it's a combination of the Calvert (Lord Baltimore) and Crossland (Calvert's mother's family) and is the only state flag directly drawn from English heraldry (the landowners of Maryland).  I think it's cool, kind of LSD'ish.

That said, Maryland sometimes can't decide what colors to wear on their unis, so it's always been some weird combo of the 4 colors.

I think Texas and Maryland are an exacta as to the coolest state flag.

Oh, and Maryland has always had the shittiest athletic administration going.  They've had great academic administration most of the past 15 years (not so sure now) and it's helped them go fast up the college rankings.  But the athletics is always so fucking pc that they step on their own shoes.

7 hours ago, slorch said:

For you fuckers arguing over the EMS origination, unless you are suggesting that no EMS service is available on campus; who gives a flying fuck from what municipality/ precinct they might originate?

The same people who are joking over it.

Lighten fucking up, Francis.

3 hours ago, Laga4 said:

Just kick the shit out of Maryland and come on back to Texas and get ready for Tulsa.

Everything else will take care of itself.  

Also, secretly practice for USC, TCU, and chokelahoma during that Tulsa week. Even though I'm going to the game I want it to be a tune up game they try shit out on those okie litelites.