The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

Snapped this one last night, ya kinda have to take what they offer.

fmubf5.jpg

I'm wanting to get out and shoot outdoors and got the idea that Little League is probably going on now thru summer and that might provide a cheap opportunity to shoot some sports shots. Creepy old dude taking pictures of young boys ought to go over well. What a time to be alive.

On 4/14/2019 at 10:02 PM, DougO said:

Finally got with the eagle guy earlier this week and made a trip to the nest before the young'uns are ready to fly off, which could be about any day now, so probably a one and done for me. Haven't had a lot of time for editing the mass of photos that mostly look the same. Picked out a few "highlights."

eaglevert

eaglecall

eaglecrappie2

eaglecrappie

eaglelaunch

eaglenest

I don't know if you keep in touch with the eagle guy but I was just told that the nest collapsed last week. The kids were rescued and are about ready to go, they're at a raptor refuge in Lorena.

57 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I don't know if you keep in touch with the eagle guy but I was just told that the nest collapsed last week. The kids were rescued and are about ready to go, they're at a raptor refuge in Lorena.

Yeah, Spencer actually called me that evening and gave me the news. Looks like they might be OK. Hopefully they will have a new nest nearby next year.

2 hours ago, DougO said:

Yeah, Spencer actually called me that evening and gave me the news. Looks like they might be OK. Hopefully they will have a new nest nearby next year.

They've had terrible luck over the years with nests being blown out, trees being blown over etc... It's a wonder they keep coming back.

23 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

They've had terrible luck over the years with nests being blown out, trees being blown over etc... It's a wonder they keep coming back.

They keep picking dead hackberry trees, possibly some aggy DNA involved in their engineering.

• Like 1

I have a question for no one in particular: How do I manage indoor lighting at an event held in an arena? Like shooting basketball and the like? I know that Baylor's Ferrell Center is notorious for having a green cast. Is that managed in post processing or is there something that can be done when shooting? 

There's a horse event this weekend, like most, at the Extraco Event Center. I went there a few weeks back and everything I shot looked like shit in part because of whatever type lighting they have in there. I'd like to try again but I'm not sure how to approach this problem.

TIA!

Thanks. Yeah, the problem is color cast. The camera has a dozen or so white balance pre-sets for various types of lighting but I found it next to impossible to figure out which one to use while there. I tried viewing a sample shot on the back of the camera but no surprise, what you see in that light may not be correct. I guess you'd almost need to go back outdoors but even then with the little screen it's hard to tell what you've actually got. I messed with those a little bit and thought I had something that would work but when I got home and actually looked on the computer, nope. They all had a shitty cast to them. Sigh. 

I know that you can take a picture of a white object for reference, would that be the way to go there? Take a picture of something you KNOW is white under the lighting in the building and tell the camera "this is white!"?

Thanks. Yeah, the problem is color cast. The camera has a dozen or so white balance pre-sets for various types of lighting but I found it next to impossible to figure out which one to use while there. I tried viewing a sample shot on the back of the camera but no surprise, what you see in that light may not be correct. I guess you'd almost need to go back outdoors but even then with the little screen it's hard to tell what you've actually got. I messed with those a little bit and thought I had something that would work but when I got home and actually looked on the computer, nope. They all had a shitty cast to them. Sigh. 
I know that you can take a picture of a white object for reference, would that be the way to go there? Take a picture of something you KNOW is white under the lighting in the building and tell the camera "this is white!"?

What’s your post processing work flow like? Anything white or a grey card would work for color correcting those shots after and if you’re doing it in LR or something like that, you can batch those white balance corrections.
Whenever the color sucks, it’s always beautiful in B&W. :)

14 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I have a question for no one in particular: How do I manage indoor lighting at an event held in an arena? Like shooting basketball and the like? I know that Baylor's Ferrell Center is notorious for having a green cast. Is that managed in post processing or is there something that can be done when shooting? 

There's a horse event this weekend, like most, at the Extraco Event Center. I went there a few weeks back and everything I shot looked like shit in part because of whatever type lighting they have in there. I'd like to try again but I'm not sure how to approach this problem.

TIA!

Learn how to do a WB preset with a white or gray card. It was a game changer for me at FC.

Been coming up empty handed a lot lately with regard to snakes and wildlife.  Haven't had a chance to explore much either.  I should be doing street stuff, but haven't had the time either.  Some of these are cross posts from the snek thread.  And I just can't seem to get a really great flight shot of the white hawk.

47656245762_9613749f77_b.jpg

46801483325_1fc7629e7c_b.jpg

47709515111_30121a6e8f_b.jpg

40751492573_b73475eaed_b.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, nycHorn said:

What’s your post processing work flow like? Anything white or a grey card would work for color correcting those shots after and if you’re doing it in LR or something like that, you can batch those white balance corrections.
Whenever the color sucks, it’s always beautiful in B&W. :)

I haven't dove into that pool yet (post processing). I'm still trying to learn the camera's capabilities. I've been using IrfanView for years, it's a rudimentary image software. I downloaded Nikon NX-D last night and have started to familiarize myself with it. I'm not a big fan of the way it handles files but I'll learn. I think that a lot of what the NX-D has are probably available on-camera but I'm not there yet so perhaps learning the software will help in my proficiency with the camera itself. 

What I think would be most helpful would be to have someone take one of my RAW files and walk me thru what they would do with it. I'm guessing that most of the software packages do the same general things and that those can be applied pretty much across the board with the major differences being layout, controls and maybe nomenclature.

I'm just not sure how to transfer a 20Mb+ file.

On 4/22/2019 at 7:48 PM, DougO said:

Hey, I found the story about the birds online. Sounds like they may be back at the lake pretty soon and hopefully reunited with their parents.

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/environment/lake-waco-s-baby-eagles-rescued-after-windstorm-knocks-down/article_15fd7ad5-de68-54a4-8b28-a1a0da6d67a7.html

6 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Can I buy you a cup of coffee next time you're in town? 

Sure, but i don't get there that often any more. A custom WB preset wtih Nikon stuff is really pretty simple, if your camera has that option. I don't remember which camera you got, or if all newish Nikon DSLRs have that option.

The menu options may be slightly different per camera, but it goes something like this.

https://imaging.nikon.com/support/digitutor/d5300/functions/whitebalance_presetmanual1.html

40 minutes ago, DougO said:

Sure, but i don't get there that often any more. A custom WB preset wtih Nikon stuff is really pretty simple, if your camera has that option. I don't remember which camera you got, or if all newish Nikon DSLRs have that option.

The menu options may be slightly different per camera, but it goes something like this.

https://imaging.nikon.com/support/digitutor/d5300/functions/whitebalance_presetmanual1.html

Yeah, I had some idea of how it worked, just haven't ever tried it. My Nikon will do that trick I just have to teach it how. Do you carry a white card in your gear bag when you go to shoot indoors or is it something that you can do at a venue and then save it as a custom setting? i.e., a WB preset for Ferrell Center stored onboard the camera.

5 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Yeah, I had some idea of how it worked, just haven't ever tried it. My Nikon will do that trick I just have to teach it how. Do you carry a white card in your gear bag when you go to shoot indoors or is it something that you can do at a venue and then save it as a custom setting? i.e., a WB preset for Ferrell Center stored onboard the camera.

I've never carried a card. I have just picked something up along the way, a white roster card or printed sheet with black lettering on it has worked just fine for me. It may not be as perfect as a store-bought calibration card, but close enough for my purposes, and it greatly reduces the need for editing color shifts.

15 minutes ago, DougO said:

I've never carried a card. I have just picked something up along the way, a white roster card or printed sheet with black lettering on it has worked just fine for me. It may not be as perfect as a store-bought calibration card, but close enough for my purposes, and it greatly reduces the need for editing color shifts.

I went to the horse show again today, this time they had some of it in the HOT coliseum so I shot in there. It's better than the show barn but of course there's still a hue from the lighting. I've messed with the NX-D a little bit since downloading it last night but have a long, long way to go in getting my post shoot game up to speed. 

I think some of my frustration may just be a byproduct ofhaving shitty glass, I was using the 70-300 lens that the kit came with. It might be okay outdoors, I haven't tried that yet.

Crazy day of birding action, even a local bald eagle just sitting in a tree not far from the road, no rough trekking necessary.

eagle.jpg

Saw this guy on my way to lunch...I guess he was, too.

caracarasnake.jpg

caracarasnake2.jpg

Then a mushy walk around the flooded park, in wet shoes.

yellowarbler.jpg

yellowwarblervert.jpg

egyptiangeese.jpg

snowyegret.jpg

Edited by DougO
  • Like 3

Looks like they're rushing to the Big Lots! to catch a Saturday sale in lipstick and eye shadow.

Reminds me of one of my 6th grade teachers. Her makeup was almost exactly like that.

Edited by DougO

Patricio may be the most likely on this site to be bitten by a snake, have a condemned church fall on his head or get stabbed by a hooker. 

I applaud your dedication to your art. 

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 2

I was at a park today watching this heron fishing at the edge of a little waterfall/rapid thing down below. I decided to try a slow shutter thing, which is tough to do with a longass lens and no tripod. The heron held sharpness surprisingly well at 1/25 shutter, f/16, I think at 200mm. I think it turned out pretty cool. It kinda looks like a painting or some photoshop filter shit, but it ain't.

heronfalls

• Like 3

I took a 10 mi hike today in the Columbia River Gorge in an area that was heavily affected by the 2017 Eagle Creek fire.  It was amazing to see how varied the burn patterns were depending on the aspect of a slope, total burn versus patchwork, and observing the understory of the forest roaring back with green life.  While the fire was devastating and heartbreaking for many, what I saw today was strangely amazing.

9632EA00-AEC4-4B30-B0D6-BB69C6A2E8B2.jpe

A280DE34-B54A-4CE2-A25D-33925F9AA57F.jpe

9123ADE6-1059-4881-80CE-5B57EED70FDB.jpe

711834CF-FEAF-4173-AFBA-C93384F77AB3.jpe

ADD3002D-BC36-4EB1-A57A-FA440EDF1BD6.jpe

8324B3D7-CE64-44AE-8D5B-F2465E1675EB.jpe

Edited by triplehorn
  • Like 7

Yesterday my younger brother and I attempted to hike the Narrows on the Blanco.  About a mile and half from our destination he cut his foot when a cedar branch went through his shoe.  We decided to turn back as we were concerned it would get infected.  Plus, the water was running higher than normal and required more swimming than we anticipated.  We already are planning a return trip to finish what we started, this time with water proof bags for our gear.  However, along the way we saw some some amazing landscapes and swam in spots few have probably swam in.  The shot of the boulders in the river doesn't do it justice, one boulder was easily the size of a 3 bedroom house.  Throwing a few random shots from the past couple of weeks too.

47927060033_1a54190ee6_b.jpg

47927057552_3d2d3321d3_b.jpg

47927071326_39367b55c6_b.jpg

47905165661_99f486384e_b.jpg

47832819102_2f8b1cc9f8_b.jpg

47832817792_34244e94c4_b.jpg

32928289587_7f0f6226af_b.jpg

47872438331_e2718cfa80_b.jpg

• Like 5

I spent a couple of hours at the zoo today trying to get better at this thing. I still haven't put any time into learning post processing for digital, I'm just trying to take some decent pictures with the camera. Anywho, it's a bit like shooting fish in a barrel I guess but the critters do have to cooperate a little bit. 

207owwh.jpg