The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

On 6/11/2019 at 8:27 AM, stc said:

My dad gave me his old camera that he hadn't used since the early 80's. There was still a roll of film in the camera so I finished out the roll. Got some pretty wild colors. 7cb40034582ce477617a45b87f95cbf8.jpgc0d2a3baf40f20546daa95b266fc9f70.jpgdf9c2e13ba192d138d154a0d89ed0d90.jpg

Those are very cool. When I started to develop film recently my sister gave me 3 rolls of film that she had sitting around, didn’t know where they from but she assumed they were shots she took of her dog a few years ago

The B&w was from easily 35 years ago. There was a picture of me hanging from a set of monkey bars and a candid portrait of my dad in his youth.  We didn’t take many pics when I was a kid so it was very cool to have those. 

I had high hope for the two rolls of color film but they didn’t come out worth a damn. Only a few images could you make out anything and it looked like perhaps old vacation photos. 

Wish I had more of those of those old rolls to develop. 

Trying to find that sweet spot indoors without a strobe or a nice fixed aperture lens isn't easy. I did get to talk to a photographer at the show yesterday and he invited me back next weekend to use one of his nicer 70-200 lenses so I might go try that out. I can't see spending the money for one but who knows?

2qlzfrr.jpg

I shot a buttload of pictures today, some good, most bad. THIS one though was just a freak accident. The lady that was there doing it professionally had a rig with 4 1,600 watt strobes that were set up in the 4 upper corners of the coliseum and they'd fire when she hit the shutter button on her camera. Well, best I can figure is I snapped this pic at the exact same time that her strobes flashed. This is just cropped out of the much larger image but it came our really crazy, almost like it was made with video lighting or is a screen grab from a movie. The RAW file is all blown out so I turned the exposure down a stop or two to get this.

293zpyo.jpg

This was the full image after I had cut the exposure.

2mg2gsl.jpg

Edited by El Diablo

2 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Awesome. How do you fly with film? Just tell TSA and have them manually inspect?

thank you.

I used to use a Domke film bag which has a lead lining, but predictably that got flagged and I'd have to open the bag anyways and explain what was inside.

so I've taken to just putting the film in a ziploc bag and asking for a manual inspection. so far, they've obliged. one thing I saw mentioned elsewhere is put in at least one roll of film above ISO 800, that when if you get an agent that says the scanner is safe for film below IS0 400-800, you can truthfully say you have film above that ISO in the bag.

gets more tricky internationally. Heathrow supposedly puts everything through a scan, no if or buts about it.

The Bahamas, being more tourist friendly, manually inspected

4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

First two photographs look like La Perla barrio in Old San Juan.

I lived within the walls of El Morro fortress grounds from 1950-1954 when it was known as Fort Brooke - headquarters of the Caribbean Antilles Command.

Good eye. the first 3 are indeed of La Perla. The pics I have of El Morro are digital and haven't gotten to them yet

How/where do people get prints made from digital image files that don't look like they came off a dot matrix printer? I tried CVS online service which I think was thru Kodak and it looks like shit.

Well, you gotta use the correct DPI and I wouldn’t ever use CVS/Walgreens. How big are the prints?

I’ve printed up to 24x36 which is under the ideal native DPI for the megapixels I have (about 30), but they still looked mostly okay. I use Nations Photo Lab.

How/where do people get prints made from digital image files that don't look like they came off a dot matrix printer? I tried CVS online service which I think was thru Kodak and it looks like shit.

Yeah, make sure you are printing the right resolution. I use Mpix.com for almost all my printing. About to get three metal prints of The Narrows done by them in fact.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out the next time I want to print something. I had no idea of what to expect with the CVS service and I don't think I've had photos printed since my days with film. $2 lesson learned, lol. 

Is there a standard DPI or is it more dependent on the size of the print as to what is best?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out the next time I want to print something. I had no idea of what to expect with the CVS service and I don't think I've had photos printed since my days with film. $2 lesson learned, lol. 
Is there a standard DPI or is it more dependent on the size of the print as to what is best?

You can find charts online that correlates dói to print size. However, Mpix’s site is good about letting the you know the maximum print size for the file you uploaded.

Grazi. Seems like when I used CVS I did select "best quality" or something like that but still it  looks like ass. Also it was a glossy finish which did not help. Co-worker showed me a picture they had made and it was better, matte finish, but still had a somewhat pixelated look to it. Not bad but not great either. I don't recall what service she was using but it was, I'm pretty sure, a basic bulk consumer type deal. Plus it was them with Reid Ryan at a Roundrock Express game and fuck that shit. :) 

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

You got solid focus and sharpness there. What was it, about f/8? Tip: most lenses are sharpest around 2-3 stops down from their widest aperture, which will typically be f/5.6-11.

That was wide open, f4.5 at 70mm, 1/800, ISO 450. My metering was all jacked up, I'd been also shooting fish in the aquarium room at the zoo and had forgotten I had it on spot metering. It was fairly  bright out but heavy overcast and much of what I shot turned out blown out. 

FWIW,  I like the color pic of the tanks better and I normally prefer the B&W photos.  That photo was really opportune too with the train in the background.  The B&W shows the train better though.  I like both of them.