2018 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

20 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

That would really suck!! I don't see Tech making it out of the regional anyway. Having aggy take credit for it would be craptacular.

aggy has decent to good pitching but they can't hit or field. 

Tech would be pretty big favorites I would imagine. 

For A&M to win a regional it's probably going to take their pitching staff being lights out. I don't see A&M's pitching staff controlling Tech's bats in Lubbock. To beat Tech in Lubbock you have to win some 7-6 type games and I'm not sure that's really what A&M is built for. 

Edited by texasstrong12

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

For A&M to win a regional it's probably going to take their pitching staff being lights out. I don't see A&M's pitching staff controlling Tech's bats in Lubbock. To beat Tech in Lubbock you have to win some 7-6 type games and I'm not sure that's really what A&M is built for. 

You assume that Tech will be playing good baseball. Their recent trend of errors and free passes says that good baseball is not a given - even in Lubbock.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

If Texas can beat Tech, A&M can.  I would guess A&M actually has a better ERA, Batting Average, and Scoring compared to Texas.  All of this against a tougher schedule resulting in a better record and a head to head win against Texas.  

• Fuck You 7

8 minutes ago, theoneandonly said:

If Texas can beat Tech, A&M can.  I would guess A&M actually has a better ERA, Batting Average, and Scoring compared to Texas.  All of this against a tougher schedule resulting in a better record and a head to head win against Texas.  

you're right, aggy baseball has such a great history of winning in the postseason. My bad. 

15 minutes ago, theoneandonly said:

If aggy can be the 11th best team in the SEC, so can Texas.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, theoneandonly said:

Congrats on those wins against rhode island and cornell or whoever tf aggy played this year in non conference.

We actually have a history being a perennial top 10 team. aggy only pretends to

If Texas can win multiple national championships then so can aggy. Oh wait. That stupid statement sounds like something they’ll paint on the side of listeria park when they get knocked out.

8 minutes ago, theoneandonly said:

Except, Texas couldn’t beat A&M this season and lost 80% of the rest of the games they played against the SEC.

Sports fans are funny creatures. I remember way back in the day, the Dallas Cowboys had a terrible season. I mean terrible. They only won one game that season but it was against the Washington Redskins and so by golly a bunch of retards hung their hat on that one stupid fucking win. 

20 minutes ago, theoneandonly said:

Except, Texas couldn’t beat A&M this season and lost 80% of the rest of the games they played against the SEC.

lol at aggy getting excited over a single midweek win where we started a true FR pitcher that's thrown a grand total of 32 innings. 

Go hang this in your "wall of champions" loser. aggy has a grand total of 2 CWS wins. you have absolutely no clue what winning baseball looks like. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, theoneandonly said:

Mid-week games are real games.  

UT Arlington won 100% of their games vs SEC, but 0-5 against Big 12.  I’m sure you’ll agree that this is a solid indicator of league/team strength.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

We'll, at least oneandonly is done pretending to be a Texas fan (because he did such a bang-up job of it).

These aggy trolls are so bad at this. This dude will create a new account soon and it will be obvious in under 5 posts that he isn't a Longhorn. 

We're going to find out how much the committee values the conference championship in the #2 RPI conference because the big thing Texas has working in their favor is the regular season conference championship in the Big 12. Most of of the other teams we are battling for a regional spot don't have a conference championship in the regular season or in their conference tournaments. 

AAC-4th best RPI conference 

UCONN: (3rd in the AAC/lost in the finals of the AAC tournament) 

USF: (2nd in the AAC/lost in the semis of AAC tournament)

SEC-1st best RPI conference 

Auburn: (T7th in the SEC/lost in the quarterfinals of the SEC tournament)

ACC-3rd best RPI conference 

NC State: (3rd in the ACC/lost in the quarters of the ACC tournament)

Louisville: (5th in the ACC/playing in the ACC tournament championship tomorrow against FSU)

Duke: (4th in the ACC/lost in the quarters of the ACC tournament)

ASUN-7th best RPI conference

Jacksonville: (2nd in the ASUN/ lost in the semis of the ASUN tournament)

The other two teams that might get a regional bid are Coastal Carolina and Tennessee Tech. They are both going for the regular season and tournament conference championship in their respective leagues. The Sun Belt is the 8th best RPI conference and the Ohio Valley is the 20th best RPI conference. I think both have to win their conference tournament tomorrow to have a chance at a regional bid. 

I don't see Tennessee Tech getting a bid even if they win tomorrow with the #187 SOS, playing in the 20th toughest conference and only 6 games against tier 1 teams. I think Coastal Carolina has a chance to get a regional bid if they can win their conference tournament tomorrow. 

We want Louisville, Coastal Carolina and Tennessee Tech to all lose in their conference tournaments tomorrow. 

Edited by texasstrong12

As of Friday this is who D1 baseball had as regional hosts: Florida, Stanford, Oregon State, Arkansas, Clemson, Georgia, Ole Miss, UNC, FSU, Stetson, Tech, Minnesota, NC State, Texas, Auburn, and East Carolina. The last 4 out were Duke, UCONN, USF and Coastal Carolina. 

I think it's going to be close between a lot of teams but I can't see Auburn getting a regional bid at 15-15 in the SEC and T-7th. History suggests that you need a winning record in conference to host (at least what I looked at in terms of the SEC). Plus, based on geography there's already a lot of teams in the southeast likely to get bids. I think people are overvaluing Auburn as a regional host. Great metrics but I tend to think other teams will get a bid over Auburn based on the conference record. 

I think the last 3 regional hosts will come down to Texas, Auburn, UCONN, Coastal Carolina and Louisville. 

Edited by texasstrong12

19 hours ago, Okie State said:
20 hours ago, Tony Soprano said:
Yes they are. Sometimes it seems like they are given more credit for getting hot over a weekend than for teams that actually earned a conference title.  It's all about the money. 

They absolutely are and I don't get it. A few years back when we won the conference outright, everyone referred to TCU as the Big 12 champs. No, they were the conference tournament champs. There's a difference.

I'm extremely conflicted by conference tournaments, resulting "championships," and automatic bids to the tournament winner.  Everything rational about me says it is a poor credential for measuring a team's worth or worthiness to participate in post-season.  But the sports fan in me kind of digs the long-shot odds.

I'm extremely conflicted by conference tournaments, resulting "championships," and automatic bids to the tournament winner.  Everything rational about me says it is a poor credential for measuring a team's worth or worthiness to participate in post-season.  But the sports fan in me kind of digs the long-shot odds.
Yeah, I mean it worked out for us last year and it does add some excitement if your team had a shit season and gets hot. Just don't call them conference champs.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, I mean it worked out for us last year and it does add some excitement if your team had a shit season and gets hot. Just don't call them conference champs.

Totally agree on the "champions" part.  Even "tournament champions" is an inadequate caveat to me.  And, for better or worse it appears that the tournament is operating this year to send a team to the post-season that wouldn't otherwise be there.

1 hour ago, zork said:

when do we find out about the regional sites, 1-16 rankings, then the total bracket?  I believe the first two come out, are announced, then the bracket later?

Regional sites are announced tonight, I believe. The entire bracket is revealed tomorrow.

Guest Lobo

Regional hosts/National Top 8 seeds tonight at 7:00p-CDT.  Remaining three seeded teams at each of the 16 host sites, along with TV schedule released at 11:00a-CDT on ESPNU.

Not sure of the coverage tonight.  I'm guessing it'll just come out as a scrolling deal on the bottom of ESPN channels and probably ncaa.com

I'm guessing we'll be the 14 or 15 host seed, paired with somebody brutal across for Supers---I'm guessing Stanford or Oregon State

Edited by Lobo

If unheralded Senior Napoleon Kalani can get a hit with 2 outs and  2RISP in the College World Series against Stanford after they had put up a 3 spot in the 1st then anything can happen.  It was a super clutch hit when it really mattered.  It is the difference between winning and losing.  

http://dataomaha.com/media/cws/boxes/texas-vs-stanford-jun-20-2002.pdf

Field the ball, pitch the ball right, get hits, and especially hits with RISP.  The players on teams that do that win.  Get enough players doing that at the same time consistently and you will win consistently.  

We'll see which Texas team shows up for whichever regional they get.  I thought after the Tech, then TCU series that they were maybe going to have a decent run.  The players have to play.

Edited by zork

47 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Supers are light years away. Plus, losing a super is a very good result for this team. So who we may be paired with is all but inconsequential to me. 

Exactly this. Ill be more than elated just to get out of our regional alive

Edited by GreenspointTexas

Coastal Carolina up big but Louisville lost. I don't think Louisville is a threat to steal a regional bid now. 

I completely agree with all of D1's projections but that doesn't mean the committee sees it the same way. I'm interested to see what happens with Auburn now. I would not be shocked if Coastal Carolina steals a regional bid from Auburn. 

I think the last 3 teams fighting for 2 regional bids are Texas, Auburn and Coastal Carolina. 

Edited by texasstrong12

TCU is 54th in RPI and up 4-3 in the top of the 8th. WV is currently 50th in RPI. 

There could potentially be a 4 game swing here in terms of our "group 1 record". If TCU jumps into the top 50 and WV falls out of the top 50, Texas would go from 13-14 against group 1 teams to 15-12. 

Guest Lobo

Well that's gotta be something, right?  I think we are really gonna need some odds and ends like that to lineup in our favor to lock in a host site.  I think we're 80% of the way there given ACC/SEC stuff and geography, but you never know.  Our Super pairing and #2 seed here in Austin are gonna be brutal.