Ivy League GOTW: Princeton @ Columbia

Underdog

Just now, Blanton said:

Are you a Columbia football fan? I can’t imagine there are too many running around, alumni included. 

I'm an alum, so I hope the team does well. I worked in the athletic department when I was there, which involved a lot of digging around the archives, so I love all the history of Ivy football.

I just hope they win the league once while I'm alive - they've only ever split the title in 1961. We did win a Rose Bowl against Stanford back in the day, though, and have two claimed national championships (1875 and 1933).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1934_Rose_Bowl

25 minutes ago, texifornia said:

One fun brush with history - my fraternity had one of the uprights in our common room from when the Lions beat Princeton in 1988 to break what was then Division I's longest-ever losing streak (44 games). Prairie View A&M has since surpassed us in being shitty at football, though.

I’m pretty sure Jason Garrett played in that game

I'm an alum, so I hope the team does well. I worked in the athletic department when I was there, which involved a lot of digging around the archives, so I love all the history of Ivy football.
I just hope they win the league once while I'm alive - they've only ever split the title in 1961. We did win a Rose Bowl against Stanford back in the day, though, and have two claimed national championships (1875 and 1933).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1934_Rose_Bowl
I was told by aggy that championships won in the great depression are the ones to be most proud of, so hold your head high.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This will be a rare post from me that is not solely an image that I've photo-comped together. 

When I lived in NYC, one of my friend's brothers played for Columbia so I went and watched several of their games at Baker Field. Based at the very northern tip of Manhattan, it is a magnificent place to see a game. In my opinion, only West Point exceeds it for NYC-area settings for college football. 

One of the companies I worked for rented Baker Field out for our inter-office game. The bastards on the other team brought in two ringers who had nothing to do whatsoever with our company. Whatever. 

Okay, in keeping with my tradition, here is a vintage image of Aggy receiving a visit from friends at Kyle Field. 

Cfc_S2_XB_copy.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping because the following cross post doesn't deserve its own thread, but I gots nowhere else to put it:

On October 20, 1873, Yale, Princeton, Columbia and Rutgers universities drafted the first code of rules for American Football. 

Rules (always a good idea for games, one would imagine) were more necessary in the case of the newly invented sport owing to the fact that at the time, every game played since the first contest between Rutgers and Princeton had been played according to the rules set in place by the home team. 

Initially, football looked an awful lot like rugby, with anywhere from 25-40 players on each side running roughshod over each other; there weren't even any "downs" or "snaps" -- it was a disorganized, violent, bloody mess (as opposed to the organized and sanitary violent, bloody mess it is now). 

It wasn't until 1880 when Walter Camp revised the rules that the number of players per side was limited to 11, and the idea of "downs" replaced the mad rugby-style scrums which had lead to unacceptable injury -- and even mortality -- rates, the way the game had originally been played.