USF @ Tulsa on ESPN

Shmitty

30 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's Montgomery's offense. 

Poor coaching on both sides of the ball. You can't give up a deep pass in that situation either with a true freshman kicker who already had an extra point blocked. Tulsa should have been willing to give up 10-15 yard pass in that situation. 

I'm dumb I thought u were saying the D End that got the roughing call.

39 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

That's 16-2 since leaving he 40. This year's 5-0 is particularly impressive with THAT quarterback.

The bottom 2/3 of the AAC is atrocious and strong can rely on just out talenting the competition. I feel bad for what ever school hires him after USF and learns that when strong has to game plan and developers players it gets ugly.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

That's 16-2 since leaving he 40. This year's 5-0 is particularly impressive with THAT quarterback.

That quarterback has good experience and size and was a top recruit out of high school. He's the only reason they won last night, and even with that they only won because Tulsa (1-5) made terrible decisions on defense in the 4th. Don't get carried away with 16-2.

I love Charlie Strong.  He's my favorite bad coach of all time. I've never felt any bit of resentment towards him even though he ruined many of my favorite Saturdays for a few years because I felt like he was a good man who was trying really hard.   He's just not very good.    

He should not be hired by a power 5 conference even though I think he probably will.

With that being said, ”Kurt"

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I love Charlie Strong.  He's my favorite bad coach of all time. I've never felt any bit of resentment towards him even though he ruined many of my favorite Saturdays for a few years because I felt like he was a good man who was trying really hard.   He's just not very good.    

He should not be hired by a power 5 conference even though I think he probably will.

With that being said, ”Kurt"

My guess is that KU hires him, they have a track record when hiring coaches.

12 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

That quarterback has good experience and size and was a top recruit out of high school. He's the only reason they won last night, and even with that they only won because Tulsa (1-5) made terrible decisions on defense in the 4th. Don't get carried away with 16-2.

We watched an entirely different quarterback play last night. The one I watched was 17-39 for 237 and an INT. That same QB is a 60% passer on he year with 9 Tds and 5 picks. Not exactly setting the world on fire if you've been watching.

We also forgot that we struggled with that same Tulsa team at our house.

13 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

The bottom 2/3 of the AAC is atrocious and strong can rely on just out talenting the competition. I feel bad for what ever school hires him after USF and learns that when strong has to game plan and developers players it gets ugly.

That's weird. Strong has now won before we hired him and after we let him go. There is only one outlier here, and it's not the narrative you are pushing. Also, that Bulls squad is not that talented.

15 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

That's weird. Strong has now won before we hired him and after we let him go. There is only one outlier here, and it's not the narrative you are pushing. Also, that Bulls squad is not that talented.

He's winning with talent. That's fine, he's in a situation that suits him.

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Strong has the worst win-loss record of any Texas coach. Ever. In 125 years of Longhorn football, out of 30 coaches.

Imagine 30 guys running a race. One guy will come in dead last...in this case that guy is Charlie Strong.

I don't know what point you are trying to make or what hill you're willing to die on. I'm happy as hell we kicked that shitty coach to the curb and I couldn't care less how he does in a subpar conference with inferior opponents.

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

He's winning with talent. That's fine, he's in a situation that suits him.

5 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Strong has the worst win-loss record of any Texas coach. Ever. In 125 years of Longhorn football, out of 30 coaches.

Imagine 30 guys running a race. One guy will come in dead last...in this case that guy is Charlie Strong.

I don't know what point you are trying to make or what hill you're willing to die on. I'm happy as hell we kicked that shitty coach to the curb and I couldn't care less how he does in a subpar conference with inferior opponents.

This board is the best at moving goal posts. First, last year it was, "The only reason Strong is winning is Quinton Flowers. As soon as he leaves Strong is going to fall flat on his face" Now it's, "He is only winning because he is out-talenting the opposition". As if Strong is playing an AAC conference schedule with OU's roster. That Bulls doesn't have some huge talent disparity. Their best wide receiver is 5'11 and 230lbs. They are also winning games in the clutch, and coming from behind to win. Something this board said no Strong led team could do, but I digress.

The real reason Strong struggled here is quarterback play. From 2009 until last year we had nothing but hot garbage at QB. Funny how this board still doesn't see that even after number 7 trotted out there and instantly time warped us back to 2016. All the sudden the offense is inept, can't impose it's will at all, and we are left with the opposition chucking footballs in the end zone for what would've been the game winning score. Had that not been Baylor we lose that game. I am sure you all know that, but refuse to see the connection. Strong didn't throw 3 picks vs KU. Regardless, Strong is gone and doing a great job coaching a team just like he was before he came here. It didn't work out here, but let's not act like he isn't doing what they paid him to do over there.

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

This board is the best at moving goal posts. First, last year it was, "The only reason Strong is winning is Quinton Flowers. As soon as he leaves Strong is going to fall flat on his face" Now it's, "He is only winning because he is out-talenting the opposition". As if Strong is playing an AAC conference schedule with OU's roster. That Bulls doesn't have some huge talent disparity. Their best wide receiver is 5'11 and 230lbs. They are also winning games in the clutch, and coming from behind to win. Something this board said no Strong led team could do, but I digress.

The real reason Strong struggled here is quarterback play. From 2009 until last year we had nothing but hot garbage at QB. Funny how this board still doesn't see that even after number 7 trotted out there and instantly time warped us back to 2016. All the sudden the offense is inept, can't impose it's will at all, and we are left with the opposition chucking footballs in the end zone for what would've been the game winning score. Had that not been Baylor we lose that game. I am sure you all know that, but refuse to see the connection. Strong didn't throw 3 picks vs KU. Regardless, Strong is gone and doing a great job coaching a team just like he was before he came here. It didn't work out here, but let's not act like he isn't doing what they paid him to do over there.

Perhaps you should consider that the board is not a monolith and is in fact composed of hundreds of users with varying opinions.

And you're right, QB play played a noticeable what sunk Strong here. And part of that is on him. Even ignoring Ehlinger, Herman did more to address the QB room between the time he was hired and the first game he coached than Strong did in his tenure here.

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2018 at 10:08 PM, Thatguy said:

You were saying?

Strong does not belong in a P5 conference. When he was in the Big 12, he had to deal with the big boys like Briles, Patterson, Stoops, Snyder, Gundy, Holgerson, and much tougher OOC opponents as well. He was out of his league when he was here.

6 hours ago, Phoenix said:

You were saying?

Strong does not belong in a P5 conference. When he was in the Big 12, he had to deal with the big boys like Briles, Patterson, Stoops, Snyder, Gundy, Holgerson, and much tougher OOC opponents as well. He was out of his league when he was here.

You waited a few games after their starting quarterback went down with injury to come out of hiding right? Bottom line, they did just as well as they had the year before last year during Strong's first year. This year is his first recruiting class. The starting QB went down and they have been QB by committee. I said this before and I will say it again. You are only as good as your QB situation. Sophomore Ehlinger has been the best QB we have had in 10 years. If we are trotting Shane out there this season Herman is looking for a job after next year. Lucky he fell into Sam, much like he fell into Greg Ward at UH. Some of you have a hard time grasping that.

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

You waited a few games after their starting quarterback went down with injury to come out of hiding right? Bottom line, they did just as well as they had the year before last year during Strong's first year. This year is his first recruiting class. The starting QB went down and they have been QB by committee. I said this before and I will say it again. You are only as good as your QB situation. Sophomore Ehlinger has been the best QB we have had in 10 years. If we are trotting Shane out there this season Herman is looking for a job after next year. Lucky he fell into Sam, much like he fell into Greg Ward at UH. Some of you have a hard time grasping that.

Jesus Christ, man. You are really going to die on this hill.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Jesus Christ, man. You are really going to die on this hill.

You guys are incapable of rational thought. They went 10-2 last year after many said Charlie would struggle. They graduated quite a few guys and took a step back, like most normal football teams do. Especially when they lose their starting QB. I know you aren't going to sit here and try to tell me we would have a wining record if Shane was still starting? Your QB play matters. Show me  team that has issues at QB but is still winning.

UCF hasn't lost in two years. No coincidence that Milton became the starter two years ago. Before then Scott Frost went 0-12 an then 6-7. If he finds Milton a year later he is fired. If Milton gets hurt his first year instead of last game he is fired. As it worked out Scott Frost went on to a better job because he found the right QB.

8 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You guys are incapable of rational thought. They went 10-2 last year after many said Charlie would struggle. They graduated quite a few guys and took a step back, like most normal football teams do. Especially when they lose their starting QB. I know you aren't going to sit here and try to tell me we would have a wining record if Shane was still starting? Your QB play matters. Show me  team that has issues at QB but is still winning.

Don't paint with a broad brush. I was never one of the people who predicted immediate failure for Charlie at USF. I figured that he would do well his first year after inheriting Taggart's recruits, then maintain the team at a 8-10 win clip from recruiting Florida well and out-talenting the majority of his schedule.

Strong's faults stretch far beyond not having a capable QB, and they're showing up at USF just like they did at Texas.

• Like 1

Just now, Machinator said:

Don't paint with a broad brush. I was never one of the people who predicted immediate failure for Charlie at USF. I figured that he would do well his first year after inheriting Taggart's recruits, then maintain the team at a 8-10 win clip from recruiting Florida well and out-talenting the majority of his schedule.

Strong's faults stretch far beyond not having a capable QB, and they're showing up at USF just like they did at Texas.

That's a dumb take. All coaches look awful with ineptitude at QB. We did last year. Strong's faults aren't any different than any coach. We will probably finish 8-4 after getting really solid QB play simply based on the fact that we can't consistently get stops. The fact that you guys think that USF had ALL this talent is laughable. They simply had an uber athlete at QB that hid all their deficiencies. Flowers covered up a lot of offensive issues with his legs. Had you guys been watching them pre Strong you would've seen that. Now they are tasked with retooling.

47 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

That's a dumb take. All coaches look awful with ineptitude at QB. We did last year. Strong's faults aren't any different than any coach. We will probably finish 8-4 after getting really solid QB play simply based on the fact that we can't consistently get stops. The fact that you guys think that USF had ALL this talent is laughable. They simply had an uber athlete at QB that hid all their deficiencies. Flowers covered up a lot of offensive issues with his legs. Had you guys been watching them pre Strong you would've seen that. Now they are tasked with retooling.

He better recruit a stellar QB or my bet is the retooling will not go well.  Maybe two stellar QBs, since one could get hurt.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Strong's faults aren't any different? Really? So, all college football coaches are laughingly incompetent? All coaches in a 3 year time frame would have assembled the worst record in Texas football history? All Texas coaches would have overseen the worst offensive production in a bowl game in Texas football history?  All coaches would have overseen the two worst statistical defenses in Texas football history? All coaches would have had a revolving door of assistant coaches their entire tenure in Austin? All coaches would have had Texas record, when trailing at halftime, of 2 wins and 17 losses? All coaches would have had more shut out losses in three years than Mack had his entire career at Texas? All coaches would have been shut out by an unranked team for the first time in 53 years?

Charlie Not-Strong-At-All was the very definition of incompetent. At Louisville, in 4 years, his team played a total of 2 ranked teams.

Don't like your quarterback? Fine! Go bring one on campus! Oh by the way, under Charlie Not-Strong-At-All good luck with that because his idiot offensive coordinator installed a dead West Coast offense when the majority of Texas high schools are playing a completely different offense.

Special teams? Under Charlie Not-At-All, our special teams were a joke.  Under Mack Brown, between 2000 - 2010, we were second in the nation in terms of most punts blocked, most field goals blocked and yards allowed on kick-off returns. Charlie No-At-All  never understood the importance of special teams and he has taken that incompetence to USF. (They lost to UCF in part because of a late returned kick off).

His recruiting at USF is being regarded as underwhelming, they are on a 5 game losing streak and he is being exposed for what he is ... grossly incompetent on a felonious basis.

It is a miracle we have achieved as much as we have this year with the shocking lack of depth and the stench of losing that buffoon inflicted upon us.

Thank God he is USF's problem now ... No take backs!

42 minutes ago, cochamps said:

He better recruit a stellar QB or my bet is the retooling will not go well.  Maybe two stellar QBs, since one could get hurt.

Same could be said for us. 

I don't share Thatguys' view on Charlie but he's right about one thing... without Sam we have several more losses this year and Tom is on the hot seat.  Sam is easily a TD per game better than Shane or any other recent QB.  One less TD per game this year and we are sitting at 5-7 or worse.

53 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Same could be said for us. 

I don't share Thatguys' view on Charlie but he's right about one thing... without Sam we have several more losses this year and Tom is on the hot seat.  Sam is easily a TD per game better than Shane or any other recent QB.  One less TD per game this year and we are sitting at 5-7 or worse.

No argument about QB.  Charlie should have tried harder to upgrade the position while at UT.  He didn’t inherit much, and with Shawn Watson at his side did not do enough to upgrade.  IOW, Teddy Bridgewater did not walk through that door.