Return flight from Europe help

Borachio

Flying back from Europe in April. I am looking at taking EasyJet from Madrid to London Gatwick, to catch a 10am flight back to Austin.  My EasyJet flight lands at Gatwick at 8:25am.  That's an hour and a half to catch that flight back to Austin.  I will only have a carry-on.  Never been to Gatwick.

Can I make?

(Going this route would save me 15,000 points.  Seems worth the risk)

Which airport is your flight back to Austin headed out of?  If Gatwick, you should be able to transition, but I am not sure if they have all the additional security screens at London like they do at some other airports going back into the US.  If no additional security, you should be good.  If additional security, that is tight.

If your return flight is out of Heathrow, no way in hell.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

1 hour ago, Borachio said:

Yes,  flying out of Gatwick on that Norwegian flight.   Carry-on only.   Just got to get to that Norwegian gate in an hour and a half.  Would I have to go through security again?

yes because US bound security is different from security going elsewhere.

if you have to go between the north and south terminals it's going to be close.  if that easyjet flight isn't on time it's going to be close.  if it can't get to the gate it's going to be close.  there's a lot that could go wrong. 

Edited by elfenix

You sure its 825?  earliest easyjet flight is EZY8274 landing at  855

it has avg delay time of 25min on 75% of flights

and you sure you can check-in online -- that the system wont boot you out because it doesnt like your esta/info -- and then youre captive to making it to the check-in before it closes?

i wouldnt risk it but im lazy and conservative

Depends on how willing you are to risk it.  I give it a 50/50 chance.  Easy Jet out of Madrid is a little sketchy on timeliness, but it is the morning flight so they will try like hell to be on time as to not screw the rest of their day.  I'd check the typical arrival/departure gates for those flights.  If you land in the secure international you could just work your way over to the gate and it won't be an issue.  I doubt it will be the same place because, US flights/our BS extra security checks, but worth the risk if you don't mind missing the flight home and hanging out in London an extra day.  

Plenty of cheap suburbs to crash in around Gatwick if you miss the flight, I've done it before. You don't have any luggage so you could easily just stay out all night in London and make the flight the next day.  

Just remember they don't do refunds for the missed flight if you're coming in on a different airlines.  That risk is on you.  

Doable, and a fun adventure. Good luck.  

Thanks for all the advice!  It sounds like this could be a big risk and stressful if everything doesn't work out just perfect.  The next day is Easter and if I miss this Norwegian flight,  the next Norwegian flight to Austin is not until Tuesday.

I did find another Easyjet flight that leaves Madrid at 9:50pm on Friday night,  which still gives me the whole day Friday in Madrid to do stuff. Stay Friday night at a Gatwick hotel for that Saturday morning Norwegian flight. 

Still save the 15,000 plus points and not risk missing that flight home.   Seems like the smart and safe bet. 

The Hilton (not Hampton-Hilton) right on the airport is a good stay.  The Marriott is shit.  All the other ones you have to take a shuttle for that retardedly charges money. 

half a mile south of the airport is a Caterham dealership that does daily rentals.  April should be pretty and I would get one of these go-karts and rip it around the country roads.

http://uk.caterhamcars.com/experience/hire

hire-promo_1034x389px.jpg?itok=6eYR9j_o

21 hours ago, Borachio said:

Thanks for all the advice!  It sounds like this could be a big risk and stressful if everything doesn't work out just perfect.  The next day is Easter and if I miss this Norwegian flight,  the next Norwegian flight to Austin is not until Tuesday.

I did find another Easyjet flight that leaves Madrid at 9:50pm on Friday night,  which still gives me the whole day Friday in Madrid to do stuff. Stay Friday night at a Gatwick hotel for that Saturday morning Norwegian flight. 

Still save the 15,000 plus points and not risk missing that flight home.   Seems like the smart and safe bet. 

Good move. No way in hell you would have made that connection. EasyJet flies into the North Terminal and Norwegian flies from the South Terminal. Assuming that you got to the gate on time, which you won't, it would take you 15-20 minutes to deplane. I've waited 10 minutes fro customs at Gatwick and I've waited 2+ hours depending on how many flights land at the same time. Then you have to take the shuttle to change terminals, which is pre-security. Your flight will begin boarding at 9:15 since it is international.

Even if you landed on time, had a short Customs line and security was light for you to re-check in (I've yet to get through without the hand swab test), you'd still miss the flight.