Lowell and Ahmad

Goo Punch

Growing up listening to Gifford, Summerall, Franklin, Meredith and others imprinted in my mind what a good sports calling team should be.  They didn't constantly try to give everyone or everything a fucking nickname.  That is so aggy.  It is like someone will finally start using one of their nicknames or phrases and people will say "Galindo came up with that!  He's a sharp boy, right?"  They just keep throwing shit at the wall hoping something sticks, but all it does is stink up the place.

But is it that much different than what is going on during the game with all the noise?  Stuff pumped in to keep the energy high?  That doesn't appeal to me, it detracts from the game imo.  I want to think about the plays that led up to a point and imagine what might be coming up next.  Having to listen to a bunch of garbage in between plays takes away from the drama of the game.  Cheers, a band tune, a Slippery Rock score, some silence once in a while and I would be good with that. 

With as many options as the LHN has, it seems to me they could put a second set of commentators in another room, try a more sedate approach, less hype.  Show the halftime instead or rehashing plays from other games that have been seen 20 times already.  Not all the halftime commentary and second guessing.   Just more pure game and experience.  If they did that for a few games,  I wonder which one would get the larger viewership.  Same for basketball. 

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Was at the game so I didn’t get to hear them, but they’ve been fine in the past. Who do people like around here? Just seems people always bitch about commentators. 

There's actually a pretty long list of announcer duos that people on here like, including:

Joel Klatt and Gus Johnson

End of entire list.

21 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I always assumed Lowell went to UT and that was the reason why he had such a steady gig on LHN. Just looked at his bio and he graduated from Emerson College? What the fuck, get him out of here. 

Pretty sure he’s from San Antonio. 

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

There's actually a pretty long list of announcer duos that people on here like, including:

Joel Klatt and Gus Johnson

End of entire list.

Exactly.

Evidently it isn’t an easy job. People seem to struggle with it.  Look at the freaking Monday Night Football crew. 

the problem i have with ahmad is that he just never shuts up.  i mean i have never heard so many words being uttered during a call of a game ever.  just meaningless platitudes, catch phrases and using 8 words where 3 will do.  it wears me out. galindo acts like he is auditioning for ESPN with all the superlatives and trying to be so hip.  really bad team.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

There are plenty of competent play by play callers in sports broadcasting. Intelligent, articulate analysts are more scarce.

Right.

Re: MNF, I was a big fan of Tessitore when he was calling the college game, but when you pair him with DefinitelyAHumanAndNotARobot Witten engaging in verbal slapfights with Booger, it takes the whole broadcast down.

I still like Fowler, and Rece Davis is fine.  Recently, I've also really enjoyed Adam Amin's calls--especially in college basketball--but in football, he's always paired with Rob Gilmore, who I find to be insufferable.