Favorite Breakfast Casserole, Strata, Whatever

Spur08

Breakfast casseroles never existed in my childhood.  My dad always made breakfast on the weekends but it consisted of eggs prepared a variety of ways, pancakes, french toast, oatmeal, etc, etc, etc.  I didn't realize the greatness of breakfast casseroles or stratas until a post-college trip to Napa and it was outstanding.  Despite their deliciousness, I've never attempted to make one b/c I never have enough people to feed, but it looks like this upcoming holiday will change that.

So, what are your treasured family stratas, casseroles, or whatever?  Chilaquiles and the like are delicious and welcome as well, but I'm personally looking for the former.

Made this last Christmas and it was well received by all. Can't recall where I got the recipe, maybe Bon Appetit. 

"Ham and Cheese" Breakfast Casserole

INGREDIENTS

• Serves 6 to 8
    • 4 cups (loosely packed) day-old challah or other egg-enriched bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    • 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
    • 1/2 pound pancetta (thickly sliced), diced
    • 6 large eggs
    • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
    • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    • 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
    • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 cup grated Gruyère cheese, from about 4 ounces

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish (or another 1 1/2-quart to 2-quart baking dish) and spread the cubed challah in the bottom.
    2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium to low heat. Add the onions, salt, and sugar. Sauté until they are lightly caramelized (a medium golden-brown color), about 15 minutes.
    3. Meanwhile, in another heavy skillet, heat the other tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and sauté the pancetta until the fat is almost all rendered and it begins to get crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set on a paper towel to drain.
    4. Whisk together the eggs, milk, dry mustard, nutmeg, and thyme. Season with about 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a generous quantity of black pepper.
    5. Spread the pancetta over the bread cubes, then layer the onions on top. Sprinkle grated Gruyère on next, and then pour the egg mixture over the entire thing.
    6. Press down on the top gently, so that all of the bread cubes get soaked a bit with the egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
    7. In the morning, take the casserole out of the fridge so it can warm on the counter, and preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 50 minutes, or until the edges are bubbling and the top begins to brown. The baking time will be greatly dependent on the depth of dish you use. Check the interior with a knife; if it comes out clean the bread custard is baked through. (Cover with foil near the end of cooking if the top is already browned.)
  • Like 1

I don't have a treasured recipe, but I usually go with a potato (shredded with a bunch of melted butter) as the base, add scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage (cooked in a pan before adding), and cheese.  This is your base.  If you want to doctor it up with sauteed onions, japs, green chilies, veg, etc. it's up to you.

350 oven for an hour or so.

Edited by Jimbaround

Super cheap and easy dish that I make a few times a year when on vacation or visiting family:

1. Grease a 9 x 13 glass baking dish and then cover the bottom with a layer of crescent roll dough.

2. Brown 1 lb of breakfast sausage and spread out on top of crescent roll dough once cooked and cooled. 

3. Scramble 8 large eggs and a cup of milk in a mixing bowl along with a few spoonfuls of pico de gallo and shredded mexican cheese. Pour egg mixture on top of sausage and spread out into an even layer.

4. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes, then take out and add another sprinkling of cheese on top and return to oven just long enough to melt.

Can easily feed 5-6 people.

I'm not seeing grits in any of these recipes. The one with grits and cheese as the base is fucking awesome. 

Brown up breakfast sausage, cook grits, mix it all together along with some half way scrambled eggs (it'll cook the rest of the way through while baking). Top with a shitload of cheese. Eat with salsa. 

Look up Southern Grits Casserole on the googletrons. 

Also like the Creme Brulee French Toast with challah bread. 

For both you can make them ahead of time the night before and then just bake in the morning. 

i did a strata for new years day brunch, with proscuitto, asparagus, fontina and gruyere that was a big hit.  if i recall, i combined a couple of different recipes, but i can dig up the one that i used as the basis and post it if that sounds good to you.  couple pics from my library:

IMG-0184.jpg

strata2.jpg

• Like 3