Any good thermometer deals?

Gil Bang

What's the difference between a rectal thermometer and an oral thermometer?  

The taste.

Had some in-laws in town this past weekend and hadn't used our meat thermometer in a long while.  I know when it's done and when it's not.  But they basically take the FDA suggestions and add about 20 degrees so I obviously grilled everything to the point of being a wallet or belt material.  And the meat had the tinniest, slightest bit of juiciness to it which of course led our guests to wonder if it was cooked properly.  To be a good host, I finished the fajitas off in the microwave to eliminate any semblance of moisture or flavor.  Wife wants to replace our temp tester deal.  If you want to eat rubber bands, just buy a bag of rubber bands, cheaper than beef IMO.  

They were also today year's old when I had to explain that the tiny little drop of fluid next to the meat isn't blood.  It's myoglobin and water.  Even your Well-Done+ meat excretes it.  It's not blood.  Then again, it took a few barbecues ago to convince them that Jesus was Jewish and it's weird we celebrate his resurrection with non-kosher, undercooked Ham.    So, baby steps.  And all that.  

Burgers can be cooked well done and still be juicy, but you need to get fatty ground beef and not lean.  I don't know if it was the FDA or some other organizations findings, but cooking poultry to 150 and holding that temp for 5 minutes kills the salmonella the same as cooking to 165.  I generally pull breasts somewhere between 150-155.

As for thermometers, I have a thermapen and it's fine, but I don't think it's that much better than the cheapo it replaced.  Certainly wasn't the game changer that every food youtuber told me it was.  Now all these new wireless leave in thermometers are pricey as hell and don't solve any problem I've ever faced.

18 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Burgers can be cooked well done and still be juicy, but you need to get fatty ground beef and not lean.  I don't know if it was the FDA or some other organizations findings, but cooking poultry to 150 and holding that temp for 5 minutes kills the salmonella the same as cooking to 165.  I generally pull breasts somewhere between 150-155.

It's FDA guidelines. And the nice thing about the Combustion thermometer is that its programmed to alarm you based on that FDA time-exposure protocol.  So you dont need to use target temp for doneness, and you dont need to keep a stop watch to time the exposure manually.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/7/2024 at 10:45 AM, Gene Parmesan said:

cooking poultry to 150 and holding that temp for 5 minutes kills the salmonella the same as cooking to 165.  I generally pull breasts somewhere between 150-155.

It's actually even lower. Something like 8min at 140. I pull white meat (breasts) at 135 and dark meat at 155. The dark meat just needs higher temp for texture reasons, just like doing brisket vs tenderloin, not for food safety reasons. It's all safe at basically 140.

Champ recommended the Lavatools Javelin as a Thermoworks alternative for instant-read, and I've been happy with both options. Would easily recommend Javelin on a budget, and they also do sales around big grilling holidays.

On 5/7/2024 at 1:57 PM, DallasSooner said:

My thermapen has finally crapped out I think.  It closes but the slightest touch and it lights back up and operates.  I don't know what's up with it.  I've had it for 5+ years.  

Might want to consider sending it in for a repair. This shipped me a new one of out of warranty last time I had an issue but it wasn’t five years out. 

Team Combustion, have heard they are having a mother's day sale.  My only complaint, is that the probe has a battery for ants! 

But if you charge it before cooking it does last, just not in the drawer.  (I use it basically every sunday for 1.5 hours)