Any of y'all good at finding old news articles via on-line archives?

I've tried myself but have come up empty.

Here's what I know.  My father - Jeff Lawrence - was a reporter for the Quanah Tribune back in the mid to late 70's.  Apparently he interviewed Ted Hinton.  Ted Hinton being one of the two cops that caught and killed Bonnie and Clyde.  (I'm watching the movie "The Highwaymen" right now.)  Apparently Ted Hinton died in '77 which might make my father's interview one, or one of the last, interviewa the guy did.  I'd love to be able to find this article, but am coming up empty thus far.  

Perhaps this is it and it wasn't Ted Hinton. My father only said it had something to do with the Texas Rangers/FBI.  I'll spoiler it as it's kind of long.

Spoiler

Quanah Tribune Chief (Newspaper) - July 1, 1976, Quanah, Texas M THURSDAY JULY I, 1976 QUANAH TRIBUNE-CHIEF Quanah Attorney Bud Marshall Recalls FBI Days During Depression By JEFF LAWRENCE Tho** were the "Bad Old Days” — th* day* of bootleg King, of gangster* and bath tub gin, speaker hi «*« and pro- mmmmm- THI* Pro Work* For You. He’* trained . , he'a a profeaaionaJ . . . he’a an Independent I na ur a nee Agent. He represent*    many strong companies . . . and this means he designs your protection program to fit YOUR 'needs. NOLAN JONES INSURANCE AGENCY Your Local Independent Insurance Agent 210 Mercer St. Phone 663-5306 hi bt Hon, "Machine Gun" Kelly and Ma Barker. The Depression Years They weren’t happy days for most Americans. Some    people starved. Nearly everyone suffered. Many were afraid. If you lived in New York, Chicago, Kansas City or Hot Springs, you knew what “law and order” meant. Or at least the lack of it These were the open towns — where gangsters fought each other for control of the rackets, where shootouts, machine gunnings and ambushes were everyday occurrences. In those days before a German madman sent the world into chaos, crime and the economy were the hottest topics. The American people looked to two men for help — Franklin Roosevelt and J. Edgar Hoover. While Roosevelt created alphabet soup in Washington, Hoover, with 38 officers and WX) agents, set up the most effective crime-fighting agency in the history of the world — the Federal Bureau of Investigation. A young man by the name of N E. (Bud) Marshall, a Quanahan by birth, also appeared in the nation’s capitol about the same time. "I was just a country boy looking for excitement.” But he went with more than just enthusiasm. He had a law degree from the University of Oklahoma and the recommendation of one of the most powerful men in the United States — Tom Connelly of Texas, a longtime family friend. Marshall had been admitted to the State Bar of Texas in 1930. “I taught 8th grade anthemene in Olney for a year and discovered that I wasn’t cut out to be a teacher.” So he entered law practice in Quanah with his fa ther, J.C. Marshall, and W.T. Perkins. “There wasn’t much practice here at the time,” he said, so he was off to Washington and what was then the Division of Investigation of the U.S. Department of Justice. Hie name was changed about a year later to the Fed era! Bureau of Investigation with the motto, “Fidelity, Bravery, Integrity.” Both the name and the motto can be shortened to FBI. "We didn’t just learn how to shoot a gun. We also had to learn the Federal law. There were procedures to memorize in addition to the many trips to Quantico Ma rine Base to practice firing machine guns, shotguns and pistols. His law degree prepared him well for the legal aspect of the F.B.I. and he must have learned something in all those visits to Quantico. A newspaper clipping from a 1936 Phoenix Gazette said, “Marshall...was one of the few men in the department of justice considered as good a shot as ‘Machine Gun’ Kelly.” Marshall kicked off his F.B.I. career with a bang...so to speak. His first investigation centered around the Kansas City Massacre. “Frank Nash had escaped from Leavenworth Prison. He was located in Hot Springs, Arkansas, and captured at the White FYont Saloon. At the time, Hot Springs was the most wide-open town in the United States. During Prohibition, the town was full of open, swinging door saloons. The gangsters paid the chief of police for the privilege of living there and few arrests were made except by the Bureau. After the repeal of Prohibition you couldn’t get a drink there because then the saloons had to have federal permits to operate.” Friends of Nash tipped off Pretty Boy Floyd, Adam Richetti and Vern Miller, who was the former sheriff of Urine, South Dakota, that Nash had been arrested and these three were waiting for the entourage when it arrived at Union Station in Kansas City. In the ensuing ambush, two Kansas City detectives, es, the McAlisters, Oklahoma, chief of police, one F.B.I. agent and Nash were gunned down. Marshall led several raids in pursuit of Floyd and Richetti. Richetti was captured after the gang had had a car wreck near Kansas City. He was later convicted and sent to prison. Floyd didn’t give up so easy. "Floyd was captured purely by accident. We had a report of his being spotted in a rural town. Our agents drove around the countryside looking for him. We found him at a farmhouse. He was in a car with a farm couple, apparently ready to kidnap them to make good his escape. Instead of staying in the car, he jumped out and ran. We hollered for him to stop and when he didn’t he was shot and killed.” Marshall was transferred to Little Rock in 1934 where he helped establish a new F.B.I. office. There he was involved in the kidnapping case of Charlie Urschel, and Oklahoma City oilman. His investigations led to the capture and conviction of Harvey Bailey, Albert Bates, George “Machine Gun” Kelly and his wife, Katherine Kelly. F.B.I. work was not all gangsters, shootouts and bullet-dodging. The F.B.I. at the time was charged with investigating all federal crimes not specifically delegated to some other agency. Thus, Marshall spent much of his time with cases involving transporting stolen cars across the state lines, bankruptcy, and even crimes on the high seas. Phoenix was the next stop in Marshall’s Bureau career, where he worked on the Robles child kidnapping investigation. Another kidnapping case took him on special assignment to St. Paul, Minnesota. “A Milwaukee brewer by the name of Bremer had been kidnapped by the notorious Barker gang and Alvin Carpus. We got Carpus and later Ma Barker and one of her sons were killed in a shootout in Florida.” Marshall’s final assignment was back in Phoenix, where he served as assistant in charge of investigation until he retired in 1936. Why did he retire after only four years in the F.B.I? “Well, I had never been shot. I had many friends that were shot and some were killed. My fiancee, Ethel Miller, from Lonoke, Arkansas, didn’t want me to press my luck. She said she didn’t want a husband who ran around getting shot at.” In regression, Marshall explained how he got one of his most prized possessions — a white Panama hat. Mrs. Mar shall's uncle was Arkansas Senator Joe T. Robinson, Majority Leader of the Senate under Roosevelt until his death in 1937. He was also the vioe-presidential candidate with Al Smith in 1928. He had given the hat to Marshall's father-in-law who later gave it to Marshall in 1937. Marshall still wears that hat. What of Hoover and the F.B.I. which are the center of much current controversy? “Hoover was a brilliant man. I met him several times. I think much of his trouble was the fault of some of the presidents under which he served. They wanted to se cure their own positions by having the F.B.I. snoop into the private lives of people. It’s very hard, even for a man QUANAH LAWYER ANI) former F.B.I. agent N.E. Marshall is seldom without his white Panama hat, a gift from his father-in-law during his Bureau days of the 1930’s. The hat was given to his father-in-law by former Arkansas Senator Joe Robinson, Senate majority leader in the first Roosevelt administration and vicepresidential candidate in 1928. Post. The Crownovers have recently moved from Lubbock to Post where Mr. Crownover will be the new vo-ag teacher in the Post schools. Country Club Set Festival A special Bicentennial Celebration is scheduled for Monday July 5 at the Qua nah Country Club. A donut and coffee break fast will kick off the festivities at 7:30 a.m., to be followed by a scramble golf toruna-ment. All members are urged to enter with groups of three men and a woman playing a best-ball round. Highlighting the activities will be the traditional covered dish picnic at 7:30. A spectacular fireworks display is scheduled after the meal. Two committees were set up to oversee the planning of the Country Club festivities. The Fireworks Committee was chaired by Bill Burch and included Charles Wyman, James Chapman, Bob Yeager, and Jimmie Jones. Mr. and Mrs. Doug Jeffrey chaired the Picnic Committee which also included Mr. and Mrs. Clark Burkett, Mr. and Mrs. Bill Burch, Mr. and Mrs. J.D. White, Mr. and Mrs. Bob Martyn, and Mr. and Mrs. Lowell Slaton. of Hoover’s importance to say ‘no’ to the President of the United States. “We never did those things when I was in the F.B.I. Or at least I was never asked to snoop into anything like that. Oh, we investigated appointees, such as U.S. Attorneys and Federal Judges. But that was just a matter of routine.” After retiring from the Bureau, Marshall worked with the W.P.A., and for 33 years was an independent oilman in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan and New York before he returned to Quanah in 1972 to take over the law practice of Judge Rex Sullivan, who was appointed a district judge. “I enjoyed my time with the F.B.I. and I have always been proud to have been with the Bureau,” Marshall said. He must have. Without that brief four-year stint, he wouldn’t have gotten that reputation of being “as good a shot as ‘Machine Gun’ Kelly.” Or that Panama hat. ♦ 

• Like 1