So I have been identity thieved

My DL had expired and so I went into office to get new one as I couldn't do it online. Two months go by and it hasn't come in mail. The day I go to call the DPS office I get an email from Neiman Marcus thanking me for my $2500 purchase (I was on plane to Vancouver at time). Then today I get email around a JC Penny card being opened.

I am on phone with JCP now to cancel card/file fraud and I have frozen credit report at all three agencies.

Do I need to file a police report? Anything else I need to do? Really fucking frustrating.

Sign up for a credit monitoring service like life lock.  I don't think a police report is necessary unless you want to.  I think it's standard operating procedure these days closing out the accounts with the various stores and reporting it as identity theft, but it's still a major pain in the ass.  None required a police report when mine was stolen several years back.

Yes.  Get Lifelock or a similar service which might be offered through one of your existing credit cards.

Don't go through the headache of having to get a  police report case number over the phone unless one is required.  Stay on  the credit bureaus  like white on rice to make sure your credit is not damaged.  

I think when they tried to get neiman card they saw I had account. 

Account linked to email. Sales rep at NM got excited at 2500 sale and then sent me email. 

Ive credit karma which is where I got update on jc penny account. 

I’ve frozen credit bureaus etc

just a fucking pain. Some fuck at DPS did it. They had to have access somehow to my ss#. 

Other PITA is I still have to get new license sent. Jeez. 

3 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

Why is the identity thief using your real email address?

Hell, you'd be surprised.  These aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.  I found out my shit had been thieved when a new laptop showed up on my front porch via UPS.

Dumbass didn't check the right box to ship to an alternate address.  Out of 10-12 things they bought before I canceled my debit card, 4 came to my home address.

On the email side though, it was probably something automated on the NM end that tied the email address in their CRM to billing address on the account.

Well over a decade ago and before we were married, somebody opened a cc account in my wife's name without her knowledge. For 6 months this person ran the account full to the brim and then made a timely payment in full, clearing the deck. The limit was $2500.00.  

Seeing evidence of good cc management, the cc company raised the limit to $15K or so.   

The soon maxed cc account somehow didn't ever get paid.  

Go figure. 

/csb

File a police report!  You're going to need it to petition the credit bureaus to remove fraudulent items from your credit. Good luck with equifax, they are the most stubborn of the big three. I've been through this shit and it's a nightmare, and an expensive one. If I could get my hands on the throat of the asshole who did this to me, I would squeeze the life out of the bastard. Good luck to you