Life comes at you fast .....

Wally Fairway

On 5/6/2020 at 4:14 PM, Wally Fairway said:

Kind of a shitty update - he just found out, though they felt it was coming, that their deployment will be extended for at least 30 days. 
Jr said "Of course it is - Army life consists of a paycheck & disappointments, his wife is pissed - but she struggles with the unknown and changes. 
And she was already pissed because he signed up for a 7 week school in early 2021, and now he won't get back until late 2020. 

One of my sons favorite sayings is "I expect nothing and still I'm disappointed"

"I keep my expectations low, so I'm seldom disappointed"

Otis Driftwood- Devils Rejects

• 1 month later...

Quick update, and also venting

Wally Jr only has a few weeks left before he is supposed to ship back home, and today I see that the Commander-in-Chief has tweeted treats against Iran threatening retaliation if they carry out reportedly planned attacks against the US. 
What in the fuck is a world leader doing communicating this shit on twitter; all while my son (and many other troops) are based minutes away. 
Jr's whole tour was fucked up, and I fully expect is ship date to be completely hosed by some stupidity - because if he's taught me nothing else don't expect anything to happen as planned.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I think that most of my deployments were extended, that was between '80-'84. World events happen all the time and most folks aren't really paying attention unless they have some stake in the game. Luckily none of it ever directly impacted me other than not coming home on time, it's just part of the job.  Seemed like no matter where we went someone was always fucking shit up. Hope Junior stays safe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Wally Jr only has a few weeks left before he is supposed to ship back home, and today I see that the Commander-in-Chief has tweeted treats against Iran threatening retaliation if they carry out reportedly planned attacks against the US. 
What in the fuck is a world leader doing communicating this shit on twitter; all while my son (and many other troops) are based minutes away. 
Jr's whole tour was fucked up, and I fully expect is ship date to be completely hosed by some stupidity - because if he's taught me nothing else don't expect anything to happen as planned.

threats....not treats

On 9/15/2020 at 7:31 AM, Wally Fairway said:

I'm learning about this kind of shit.

Haven't seen my boy since July, he's been sitting in a hotel at Ft. Sam at BOLC for the last 2 months unable to leave post, and he deploys Monday.  Still unsure if he can leave post for me to see him for a few hours on Saturday before he leaves for a year.

Was watching a bunch of youtube videos tonight about Camp Casey in Korea and he's going to have snow and cold, I'd much rather have the heat.  He plans to head to the ME for a tour just as soon as he can, though.

So the Army has "social distancing" policies, basically if you followed them you'd be confined alone in your room for months on end.  Apparently more than a few of the newly minted officers and gentlemen have been throwing ragers at the hotel for the last few weekends.  This past Friday the MPs showed up and arrested 40 people.  For not breaking the law.  In a hotel. In peacetime.  In fucking San Antonio.  And called an 11:30 pm formation to identify anyone who might have wandered off post.

One of the cadre said "in normal times you could have an orgy in the lobby and nobody would blink an eye.  Add covid and the world goes insane."

Son may be exaggerating but those 40 soldiers just kissed any army career hopes/advancement chances goodbye.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Final update - the boy got back to his home late last night.
1st deployment is 100% success, meaning he came back 2x2 and 10x10.
Thanks for all the good juju 

you must be so proud.  please tell him an internet stranger thanks him for his service which protects me, my wife, and our four little boys. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, my son left Ft. Jackson (where he was a drill sergeant) last month.  He's now in Warrant Officer school, and then, it's aviation, where he'll become a pilot.  It's super cool, except that he'll be in Alabama for a few years. 

Anyway, his unit back at Ft. Jackson just had a young recruit die on the firing range.  I'm so sad for the family, and I'm glad that my kid wasn't there at the time, because an 18 year old dying on your watch is bad for the CV.  And also, I'm thinking although I know nothing about what happened, "my kid wouldn't have let it happen".  Fuck me. 

Y'all join me in pouring one out for Pvt. James Noel Zamora, an 18 year old from CA.  

What a fucking tragedy.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

On 10/26/2020 at 7:11 PM, Wally Fairway said:

Final update - the boy got back to his home late last night.
1st deployment is 100% success, meaning he came back 2x2 and 10x10.
Thanks for all the good juju 

Ok, that's arms legs, finger and toes.  His cock and balls are OK too, I assume?

On 11/8/2020 at 11:55 PM, Gil Bang said:

So, my son left Ft. Jackson (where he was a drill sergeant) last month.  He's now in Warrant Officer school, and then, it's aviation, where he'll become a pilot.  It's super cool, except that he'll be in Alabama for a few years. 

Anyway, his unit back at Ft. Jackson just had a young recruit die on the firing range.  I'm so sad for the family, and I'm glad that my kid wasn't there at the time, because an 18 year old dying on your watch is bad for the CV.  And also, I'm thinking although I know nothing about what happened, "my kid wouldn't have let it happen".  Fuck me. 

Y'all join me in pouring one out for Pvt. James Noel Zamora, an 18 year old from CA.  

What a fucking tragedy.  

That is a tragedy, I'm kind of amazed it doesn't happen more often as lots of those kids haven't been around firearms at all (or very much); my kid told me a story about a kid in his class that was trying to sneak ammo from the range to the barracks in his boots. Someone saw it, and told the Drill Sgt; the story goes the kid was sent to counselling and was going to restart boot with another group. Nobody as disappointed he wasn't put back into the ranks. 

Good updates, so glad to hear.  Happy Veteran's day to all who served.

Talked to my Vietnam vet dad today who caught 40 Flounder by 9 am.  Last night at dinner he informed me he wants to be buried at the veteran's cemetary in Houston.

My update - son finally deployed to SK, commands a platoon of medics/ambulances. We haven't discussed his junk because his Fiance to be is still at A&M.

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2020 at 8:55 PM, Gil Bang said:

What a fucking tragedy.  

Update on this one:  I've heard a "rumor" that this was a suicide, and that the young man waited until certain people were present before he, quite literally, pulled the trigger.  Seems that the young Private thought that certain people were less than fair to him so he wanted to make sure that they witnessed something terrible.  I've heard that there is written evidence of this.  Young man went "Private Pyle" on his leadership.  My heart breaks for everybody that was present, and for the young man's family. 

Horrible situation all around.  

Edited by Gil Bang

On 11/11/2020 at 12:35 PM, BearSchlong said:

Good updates, so glad to hear.  Happy Veteran's day to all who served.

Talked to my Vietnam vet dad today who caught 40 Flounder by 9 am.  Last night at dinner he informed me he wants to be buried at the veteran's cemetary in Houston.

My update - son finally deployed to SK, commands a platoon of medics/ambulances. We haven't discussed his junk because his Fiance to be is still at A&M.

Bear: clarification is in order.  Did your boy "deploy" or is he now stationed in SK?  I assume that he PCS'd there, but I don't know.