Jump to content
Awful horrible bad shit is happening in the USA right now, if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you. ×
Armybrat

Infrared thermometers?

Recommended Posts

The kind used to scan the forehead for a non-touch reading.....Any preferred brands (FDA approved)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you're talking about infrared?  Like the type of light?  And you want to, maybe...get this light onto your body?  Or into it?  To read your temperature? 

Is that something we can do?  Can you look into that?  

 

I'd recommend a unit from MildSix.  We've been using them for years with the kids and during this pandemic.  And then compare it right after/right before we go to the pediatrician and see their commercial grade shit.  This thing has never been off by more than 0.1degrees in any instance, child or adult.  It's fast as shit too so no second guessing on whether it's working or not.  Easy to clean if you get paranoid and keeps battery life for years.  I just saw on amazon when I googled it to make sure they still made it, that it gets some 1-star reviews but those are because the boxes came damaged and people were upset it didn't come with batteries already in it, so basically the all-stars chimed in.  We just keep it on the bathroom shelf ready to go and it's always working and always extremely accurate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harbor Freight

https://go.harborfreight.com/coupons/2020/02/63985-36087822/

 

This is pretty basic technology. There’s no need to spend a bunch of money to take a human’s temperature.

 

Just keep in mind you can’t be across the room and take an accurate temperature. These measure the average temperature in a circle. The more expensive the thermometer the more points that are averaged in that circle. The thermometer that I posted above is 12:1. This means that the ratio of the distance away the thermometer is to the diameter of the circle you are measuring is 12 to 1. If you’re 2’ away, you’re measuring the average temperature of a 2” circle.

 

There’s also the issue of emissivity that I’m not going to get into. Just remember that you can’t take an accurate temperature of a shiny surface with an infrared thermometer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, luke duke said:

Just remember that you can’t take an accurate temperature of a shiny surface with an infrared thermometer.

He's got all of his cranial hair, so that's not really much of an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got one of these.  Might be expensive compared to others, but it seems to work great.

I've used other ThermoWorks products and have never had any problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2020 at 12:47 AM, ROFL BOX said:

He's got all of his cranial hair, so that's not really much of an issue.

Negative, Rofl Box.

The old pate has been shedding more & more in the past year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Negative, Rofl Box.

The old pate has been shedding more & more in the past year.

Hmmm... late "un" bloomer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2020 at 10:54 AM, Jerry Callo said:

I just got one of these.  Might be expensive compared to others, but it seems to work great.

I've used other ThermoWorks products and have never had any problems.

You can never go wrong with thermoworks products.  They make really good stuff.  They designed and started making the Wand just for the corona outbreak.

Edited by kevwun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 8:35 PM, luke duke said:

Harbor Freight

https://go.harborfreight.com/coupons/2020/02/63985-36087822/

 

This is pretty basic technology. There’s no need to spend a bunch of money to take a human’s temperature.

 

Just keep in mind you can’t be across the room and take an accurate temperature. These measure the average temperature in a circle. The more expensive the thermometer the more points that are averaged in that circle. The thermometer that I posted above is 12:1. This means that the ratio of the distance away the thermometer is to the diameter of the circle you are measuring is 12 to 1. If you’re 2’ away, you’re measuring the average temperature of a 2” circle.

 

There’s also the issue of emissivity that I’m not going to get into. Just remember that you can’t take an accurate temperature of a shiny surface with an infrared thermometer.

 

You aren't going to get a 98.6 with one of those. However, if you learn what your normal reading is (forehead, ear, mouth) you can use that to gauge your temp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...