Washington DC's NFL franchise to get a new name

mdmost

Washington Commanders defensive tackle Jonathan Allen apologized for a since-deleted tweet in which he said Adolf Hitler was one of three people living or dead with whom he'd like to have dinner.
Allen, Washington's nominee for the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award for the second consecutive year, had told his nearly 68,000 Twitter followers early Wednesday morning to "Ask me anything." One of them asked which three people, dead or alive, would he want to have at the dinner table. Allen responded by saying his "granddad, hitler and michael jackson."
When asked to explain Hitler, he said in a tweet also since deleted, "He's a military genius and I love military tactics but honestly I would want to pick his brain as to why he did what he did. I'm also assuming that the people I've chosen have to answer all my questions honestly."
Lulz. You have to be one dumb motherfucker to think that tweeting out to the world that the Hitdawg is one of 3 people you'd most like to have dinner with is going to be anything other than a disaster. Even Michael Jackson would think thats reprehensible and he diddled little boys. 

I’m sure his grandfather would love to be summoned back from the dead to have the never ending pasta bowl at Olive Garden with Michael Jackson and Hitler. “So Adolph, how are the golf courses in hell?”
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Washington Commanders and owner Daniel Snyder “may have engaged in a troubling, long-running, and potentially unlawful pattern of financial conduct” that allegedly involved withholding up to $5 million in refundable deposits from season ticket holders and also hiding money that was supposed to be shared among NFL owners, according to a letter sent from the House Committee on Oversight and Reform to the Federal Trade Commission on Tuesday. The Washington Post was first to report the news.

A copy of the 20-page letter obtained by The Athletic includes allegations made by Jason Friedman, a former vice president of sales and customer service who worked for the franchise for 24 years. Friedman “provided the Committee with information and documents indicating that the Commanders routinely withheld security deposits that should have been returned to customers who had purchased multiyear season tickets for specific seats, referred to as seat leases,” according to the letter. The committee’s letter says that as of July 2016 “the team had unreturned security deposits for ‘around 2,000 accounts’ belonging to customers and fans totaling ‘approximately $5 million.’”

The letter also says Friedman told committee members the team maintained “two sets of books,” including one set of financial records used to underreport certain ticket revenue to the NFL. The letter also states the team’s financial improprieties may have extended to tickets registered in Commissioner Roger Goodell’s name.

The letter also says that another former team employee told the Committee that “it was known and/or rumored in the office that there was ‘moving around’ of money regarding tickets,” and references evidence that it says indicates the revenue gained by the team through these practices was known internally as “juice.” It also details allegations that the Commanders falsely attributed revenue to being derived through a Navy-Notre Dame college football game at FedEx Field and a Kenny Chesney concert, so that it wouldn’t be part of the NFL’s revenue-sharing pool.

A Republican spokesman said in a statement that Committee Republicans "will be providing the FTC with additional context to ensure that they have the full story ... and not just one-sided, cherry-picked information."

The new financial allegations come as the committee reviews documents and interviews witnesses in its investigation into the team's toxic workplace culture. The Commanders have denied the allegations.

Lisa Banks and Debra Katz, who represent more than 40 former Washington Commanders employees, said in a statement that the Committee's letter to the FTC is "damning."

"It’s clear that the team’s misconduct goes well beyond the sexual harassment and abuse of employees already documented and has also impacted the bottom line of the NFL, other NFL owners, and the team’s fans," they said in the statement. "We are proud of our many clients who have come forward at great personal risk to reveal the truth and bring us closer to total transparency about the full extent of the dysfunction at the Washington Commanders.”

The committee's letter says the goal of writing is "to share evidence of concerning business practices by the Washington Commanders uncovered during the Committee’s ongoing investigation into workplace misconduct at the team."

“Given the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) authority to investigate unfair or deceptive business practices, we are providing the information and documents uncovered by the Committee for your review, to determine if the Commanders violated any provision of law enforced by FTC and whether further action is warranted,” the committee’s letter says. “We request that you take any other action you deem necessary to ensure that all funds are returned to their rightful owners and that those responsible are held accountable for their conduct.”

3 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Surly law dogs should correct me, but I don’t see how the Commanders are going to be able to hide their books from discovery in the coming civil suits. Which is the NFL’s nightmare.

After all the shit comes out, they're gonna have to change names to get rid of that tainted "Commanders" name.