Washington DC's NFL franchise to get a new name

mdmost

23 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

The entire "Washington Football Team" is just SAF. I mean do people need to be reminded what sport? Why not just "Washington." Seems pretty obvious it is a team and it plays football ... this isn't the damn MLS.

Believe it or not there are websites that cover multiple sports and have short headlines and limited space. “Washington signs Jones” is too ambiguous. 

13 minutes ago, n64ra said:

I've yet to see a serious and good suggestion for the name. Add Commanders to the list of stupid names. I get it - the commander-in-chief lives in DC, but still, meh.

I liked Washington Admirals and DC Destroyers. Just in general they should have done DC instead to separate them from the state and open up something completely new.

11 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

So Snyder didn’t want to fight or pay any trademark trolls and then landed on this garbage? Sounds like an Arena Football team

I’m not a lawyer, but I question the enforceability of the trademark trolls (really one main guy) who claimed about 10 names (Warriors, Redtails, Redhawks among others) the day Snyder announced they’d change the name. This nerd in Virginia or DC has no real intention to found his own professional football team with those names. 

Snyder was dumb and should have trademarked his top 10 or 20 options before announcing they were going to change it. 

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I liked Washington Admirals and DC Destroyers. Just in general they should have done DC instead to separate them from the state and open up something completely new.

Admiral needs to be for a city along the ocean not the Potomac. Even though their field is 20 miles from Annapolis, they wouldn't be named the Maryland Admirals. Destroyers - like the boat? Same problem.

Can we talk about how shit the official logo is?

1. Soccer influenced. This isn’t a soccer club. It’s a football team.

2. Putting your titles on the logo is shit (more soccer influence)? You ever gonna win another? (See below).

3. Stars are shit. Stars are not the insignia for a Commander. I get that they’re supposed to be SB wins, but you can’t be having two different places to brag about titles.  And if you have a military themed name, don’t include something that can be confused as a conflicting military reference. 

4. WTF is a commander? Is the is the Navy rank? General “Commander.” If it’s not clear wtf you’re talking about the logo should have a picture.

All in all Washington Football Team was better. 

image.jpeg.ac0de3b3acc6627f997d1e7c2ed700a9.jpeg

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Can we talk about how shit the official logo is?

1. Soccer influenced. This isn’t a soccer club. It’s a football team.

2. Putting your titles on the logo is shit (more soccer influence)? You ever gonna win another? (See below).

3. Stars are shit. Stars are not the insignia for a Commander. I get that they’re supposed to be SB wins, but you can’t be having two different places to brag about titles.  And if you have a military themed name, don’t include something that can be confused as a conflicting military reference. 

4. WTF is a commander? Is the is the Navy rank? General “Commander.” If it’s not clear wtf you’re talking about the logo should have a picture.

All in all Washington Football Team was better. 

image.jpeg.ac0de3b3acc6627f997d1e7c2ed700a9.jpeg

1. There’s nothing wrong with a soccer style logo. Nobody is really quibbling with the seal.  It’s the stupid lame name.

3. 3 stars is part of the DC flag and a symbol of Washington DC

• Hook 'Em 2

I didn’t even think of the DC flag and I lived there for three years.  If I saw them in a row like on the flag, I’d have picked it up. 

Still not awesome.  If you’re going to allude to a flag or another symbol, lean in so it’s unmistakable. Keep the same pattern, or colors, or something other than just “stars.” The stars here are arranged like the Tennessee flag. The Ravens did this correctly with their crest.

Bottom line— too many words, too many numbers, not enough that’s visually memorable. It’s a mess of design. 

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I’m not a lawyer, but I question the enforceability of the trademark trolls (really one main guy) who claimed about 10 names (Warriors, Redtails, Redhawks among others) the day Snyder announced they’d change the name. This nerd in Virginia or DC has no real intention to found his own professional football team with those names. 

Snyder was dumb and should have trademarked his top 10 or 20 options before announcing they were going to change it. 

He also should have just had a new name ready to go and not gone so long without a permanent name. I think Snyder thought he could get fans to buy extra merch and he didn’t care about the brand

29 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Also, those uniforms have got more than a little of the Maryland under armor overly busy thing going on 

Yup, as much as I despite that franchise, the unis looked good with the numbers on the helmet instead of the Indian guy logo. Shouuld have kept it and just changed the name, if that's what they really wanted to do. Messing with the unis is just too much.

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yup, as much as I despite that franchise, the unis looked good with the numbers on the helmet instead of the Indian guy logo. Shouuld have kept it and just changed the name, if that's what they really wanted to do. Messing with the unis is just too much.

Same, I like the helmets but their original unis were great. I hope they go with the more classic look most of the time instead of the horribad black look.