Washington DC's NFL franchise to get a new name

mdmost

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

About 200 people care about the new name. Their fans are Texans fans. So fair weather.

I wouldn't say Texans fans are fair weather. Some show up regardless of the pathetic ownership of the franchise, most are smart enough to not support the pathetic ownership.

• Like 2

New team name will be announced on NBC on 2 Feb … from NY.  The “local celebration” will be on 4 Feb.  What’s wrong with that picture?

Snyder chose not announce the new name before a hometown crowd?  Must have feared no one would show up, anyone who did would probably boo, or (more than likely) both.

Fuck Snyder … HTTR!

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Washington crossed the Delaware, but was NOT Navy...

Admirals is a dumb name for this specific team/ city.

True.

However, so was Redskins?

1.) The seat of the government that removed / killed a lot of native Americans paying homage to native Americans is kinda rich

2.) paying homage whilst using a racial slur is well, richer?

Anyway, that’s already touched in.

Washington’s football team shouldn’t be aligned with the military at all really.

The hallmark of our nation is the civilian control of the military. 
Plus the president is the leader of the military so why not call them the Presidents. 

The Washington Presidents might be cool?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

True.

However, so was Redskins?

1.) The seat of the government that removed / killed a lot of native Americans paying homage to native Americans is kinda rich

2.) paying homage whilst using a racial slur is well, richer?

Anyway, that’s already touched in.

Washington’s football team shouldn’t be aligned with the military at all really.

The hallmark of our nation is the civilian control of the military. 
Plus the president is the leader of the military so why not call them the Presidents. 

The Washington Presidents might be cool?

Historically Black city with team named after a bunch of (mostly) old White dudes? Nah.

Give me Redtails and all that history. If they change the name of the District to Douglass and the name of the franchise to the Redtails, I may even become a fan.

wr.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, quigley said:

Historically Black city with team named after a bunch of (mostly) old White dudes? Nah.

Give me Redtails and all that history. If they change the name of the District to Douglass and the name of the franchise to the Redtails, I may even become a fan.

wr.jpg

that's a P-40 Warhawk.

and the Tuskegee Airemen flew North American P-51 Mustangs.

no Douglass at all.

note that the final selection purports to accomplish the following:

align with our values (no link describing the "who" and "what" of said values

carries forth our rich history (history of the team? the city? district? state? country? all of the nfl owners that carry water for me, themselves and the other owners?

represents the region - this one is actually reasonably defined

and, most importantly, is inspired and informed by you, our fans - let's see what they chose and what they choose to say/claim about "inspiration"

good luck, we're all counting on you

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, quigley said:

wr.jpg

So in an effort to change the name and avoid the discussion of race with a mascot, you think it’s a good idea to go full throttle in the other direction? Sounds like a great idea. 

• Hook 'Em 3

To me the bigger deal was “Redskins” was just kind of a shitty name, plus the franchise mostly sucked with it anyway. Why not change it. The “offensive” connotation was just gravy. But they should’ve just kept “Football Team”. NFL wants to expand to Europe, that’s the sort of name those fans will recognize easy. A lot of euro soccer teams are just a city name and “Football Club”. 

Yeah, they should've gone with "Washington F.C." and not had an actual nickname. 

I've lived in OK for 35+ years, heard lots of racial slurs but "Redskin" wasn't one of them. People usually go with "fucking indians" when they want to go there.

Most of the "natives" I know are just people who claim 1/64 tribal blood. But my coworker is actually 100% native and I asked her what she thought about the Redskin name, she said none of her family had ever thought twice about it. They're more into hating Andrew Jackson and wishing he was removed from the $20 bill.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

that's a P-40 Warhawk.

no Douglass at all.

All true, and I appreciate the attention to detail in aviation. Also, I obviously didn't draw the logo and the renaming of DC has lost steam over the last couple of years.

7 hours ago, Sandman said:

Yeah, they should've gone with "Washington F.C." and not had an actual nickname. 

I've lived in OK for 35+ years, heard lots of racial slurs but "Redskin" wasn't one of them. People usually go with "fucking indians" when they want to go there.

Most of the "natives" I know are just people who claim 1/64 tribal blood. But my coworker is actually 100% native and I asked her what she thought about the Redskin name, she said none of her family had ever thought twice about it. They're more into hating Andrew Jackson and wishing he was removed from the $20 bill.

All true, but it's in the context of most people with Native American heritage being descendants of the 5 "civilized" tribes. And that's why they hate Andrew Jackson too.

There are very few people alive who are members of the tribe who were being hunted and scalped during the time of the bounties that led to the name of the "redskins." That's because those people were all killed violently or by famine and disease.

7 hours ago, Creasy Bear said:

So in an effort to change the name and avoid the discussion of race with a mascot, you think it’s a good idea to go full throttle in the other direction? Sounds like a great idea. 

Who says you have to avoid race? How about avoiding the celebration of genocide?

Redskins: term used in the context of bounties to eliminate a people. This is the celebration of genocide.

Redtails: term used to celebrate the accomplishments of people who overcame bigotry and hatred to protect the very people who discriminated against them and hated them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, quigley said:

Who says you have to avoid race? How about avoiding the celebration of genocide?

Redskins: term used in the context of bounties to eliminate a people. This is the celebration of genocide.

Redtails: term used to celebrate the accomplishments of people who overcame bigotry and hatred to protect the very people who discriminated against them and hated them.

White Power vs Black Power

23 hours ago, quigley said:

wr.jpg

This was one of the names that the trademark troll jumped on without true intention of operating his own professional football team. We should not negotiate with these types as if they were terrorists. 

14 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

that's a P-40 Warhawk.

no Douglass at all.

P-51 D had the bubble canopy but earlier P51B and C models including some that the Airmen flew weren’t fitted with them.  Took some work to make the plexiglass curve without distortion.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Like 2