Vinyl

CooterBrown

The next 3 months aren't all that interesting to me on the Essentials front. It should be Outkast, Erykah Badu, and Billie Holiday. Really only Billie would be something I might re-listen to. Classics could be good but I just can't seeing me want to spend $39 a month on their records. 

I got two new Tone Poets this week: The Cooker by Lee Morgan and Nigeria by Grant Green. I think Grant Green might be my favorite Blue Note artist. I went out to Forever Records in Grand Prairie the other day as I had an Ikea run to make. If I had the money, I would lay waste to that collectibles room. I've also been finding good deals on Amazon Warehouse. The covers typically get bent but that's not a huge issue for me. A good, low cost way to get more Blue Notes. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now, that I'm out of the VMP spell, I sold about 8 of my VMP hip hop records and other VMP exclusives that I really never listened to but fetch a nice price on Discogs. I'm using those to fund my vinyl purchases for the next few months. Bought a ton of Blue Note records with the funds as Target had a Buy 3 for the price of 2 sale on vinyl. Got 2 Tone Poets, and 4 Blue Note 80 records. I also used the sale on 6 Tone Poets that are on pre-order for later this year. I'm debating buying some Music Matters Blue Note editions but I'm also waiting to see if Acoustic Sounds does another sale so I can get some of their Analogue Productions Blue Note 45 rpm records for a cheaper price. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

Hell yeah! I bought a lot of these very cheaply as Blue Note 75 titles which were pressed on crappy 140 gram and were either dirty or just bad pressings. I've only had one bad Blue Note 80 and that was a live album and those tend to suck from a fidelity stand point. 

Heads up that Tom Petty's Wildflowers was FINALLY reissued and should be in stores soon. I put my pre-order in about 6 weeks ago thinking pre-orders would be shipped well before it would be available in record stores. I guess I was wrong and paid like $15 for shipping when I didn't need to. Don't really care.

I've wanted this album for years. They only did a limited pressing when it first came out because it was 1994 and no one listened to vinyl. I could never find it on discogs for less than like $600. I ain't paying for that. TP was in the middle of preparing a big re-release for the 25th anniversary right when we died. His widow and kids were squabbling over the money since then but I guess they finally came to their senses. 

Album sounds fantastic. There are three different packages you can buy, but I bought the basic one that has all the songs on the album plus another 5 tracks. So like 27 tracks total? I don't think there's anything special among the new shit. YOu can buy the next package up that has a bunch of home recordings of songs on the album and some other unreleased shit, including a home recording of one of my favorite TP songs "Walls", which was first written during the Wildflower sessions and ultimately released on the She's the One soundtrack.

Fair warning - shit's expensive. The call it a triple album but I think that's a stretch. It's $40 at Waterloo. The middle package has 7 albums and it's $175. The Super Deluxe edition runs $250 and has 9 LPs and I think you get a book and a t shirt and some other bullshit with it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Splurged on picking up the Uncle Tupelo "Live at Lounge Ax" record that was released for Black Friday RSD that I couldn't find locally.

Totally worth it.

Fantastic pressing that sounds amazing. If you're a fan and can find it for ~$60-70 on Discogs like I did, I highly recommend.  It's a double album so you're not paying *that* much more over the original retail.

I will say that it was originally announced as a "RSD First" issue, but there seems to be some confusion about that because the stickers on them say "RSD Exclusive" - see image below. I went ahead and pulled the trigger because I felt it wasn't totally unreasonable and I'm an impatient motherfucker.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 8:01 AM, Anton Chigurh said:

This is great news! AAA and mastered by Kevin Gray for $25?!?!

http://www.bluenote.com/classic-vinyl-reissue-series/

I really need to keep up with this thread better.  Going to turn on notifications or something.    Then again, I was saving money by letting my VMP account expire after receiving "The Hawk Flies High" (which is fantastic).  VMP turned me on to McCoy Tyner with "Sahara."  So I probably *have* to get The Real McCoy.

Thanks, dude.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Song For My Father and Speak No Evil release tomorrow.

Both are must-buys if you don’t own them already. I may sell my MMJ SRX copy of SNE and keep this one.

January 15, 2021

Horace Silver – Song for My Father
Wayne Shorter – Speak No Evil

February 12, 2021

Cannonball Adderley – Somethin’ Else
Joe Henderson – Page One

March 12, 2021

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Moanin’
Hank Mobley – Soul Station

April 9, 2021

Sonny Clark – Cool Struttin’
Jimmy Smith – Back At The Chicken Shack

May 14, 2021

Dexter Gordon – GO!
Eric Dolphy – Out To Lunch

June 11, 2021

Grant Green – Idle Moments
Kenny Burrell – Midnight Blue

July 9, 2021

Freddie Hubbard – Ready for Freddie
Herbie Hancock – Maiden Voyage

The list for the 2021 Tone Poet releases will be announced early next week. The quality of these releases are so good. I'm still waiting on the Tone Poet for The Waiting Game by Tina Brooks. I was telling the wife the other day how amazing it is that all this great jazz never got a wider release. Some of it was shelved like Just Coolin' by Art Blakey. Other stuff was only pressed on small batch audiophile labels in Japan in the 80s. The Tina Brooks releases have all been great. I saw that most of his releases never got a bigger push because he was strung out all the time and was difficult to deal with because of his drug use. So some of his albums only got released in the 80s or as part of an anthology. 

Edited by mdmost

On 1/14/2021 at 1:18 PM, MC Fresh Breath said:

Yep. Just ordered the Lee Morgan and McCoy Tyner albums from the 'zon.    Maybe next month on those other two.

Got the McCoy Tyner in yesterday.  What a great listen.  Have a feeling there will be a lot more of his stuff in my future. 

Thanks, Anton for the post.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever ordered one of these Run Out the Groove issues?

It came on my radar because this month one of the options to vote is Old 97's Fight Songs. It's never been pressed on vinyl and it's one of my most wanted records on vinyl.  

You can vote on it here if you're interested: https://www.runoutgroovevinyl.com/vote-for-next-release  (Please vote for it! :D)

Potential specs if they press it:

• First time ever on vinyl
  • Would include a bonus LP of previously unreleased rarities  
  • Would feature the original 1999 album and a 2021 remix from the master tapes
  • Would be limited and individually numbered

I REALLY hope this wins.  It's up against Spanish version (?!) of David Lee Roth's Eat 'em and Smile and Jason Faulkner's Presents Author Unknown.

On 1/14/2021 at 10:36 AM, MC Fresh Breath said:

I really need to keep up with this thread better.  Going to turn on notifications or something.    Then again, I was saving money by letting my VMP account expire after receiving "The Hawk Flies High" (which is fantastic).  VMP turned me on to McCoy Tyner with "Sahara."  So I probably *have* to get The Real McCoy.

Thanks, dude.

Agreed! I missed out on The Sidewinder, but Cannonball Adderley is pre-ordered and waiting for Moanin' to drop next. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I’ve bought all of them so far, along with the demos. They all sound great.

Shocked at how fully formed the demos are. But it’s Polly, so I shouldn’t be surprised.

Humble brag that I’ll be skipping the reissue of Stories from the City, as I bought an original pressing at Cheapo in Austin (RIP) back in the early aughts.

48 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

Humble brag that I’ll be skipping the reissue of Stories from the City, as I bought an original pressing at Cheapo in Austin (RIP) back in the early aughts.

Stories is a top 5 album for me. Previous releases have been going for over $300 on discogs when you can find one a few times a year. I've already preordered 2 copies just to be safe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is not one of those "look what I found on the street" BS stories. My dad, the retired jazz station manager and DJ, passed away at Christmas. Here is a small sample of what I brought back from being home for the funeral this weekend. There are a couple hundred still left in his closet that his wife (not my mom) is holding. I had been slowly cherry picking albums, each summer trip back home. Sometime in the mid 80's, we had about 2,000 jazz albums in the house. 

Just last week, I posted how bummed I was to missed out on the Sidewinder reissue. Come to find out, my dad's 1st stereo release copy was waiting for me the whole time. 

20210201_162921-02.jpeg

20210201_162026.jpg

Edited by RiverwalkMiner
Spelling
  • Like 4

This is not one of those "look what I found on the street" BS stories. My dad, the retired jazz station manager and DJ, passed away at Christmas. Here is a small sample of what I brought back from being home for the funeral this weekend. There are a couple hundred still left in his closet that his wife (not my mom) is holding. I had been slowly cherry picking albums, each summer trip back home. Sometime in the mid 80's, we had about 2,000 jazz albums in the house. 
Just last week, I posted how bummed I was to missed out on the Sidewinder reissue. Come to find out, my dad's 1st stereo release copy was waiting for me the whole time. 

My wife’s grandfather was a professional jazz drummer in NYC in the ‘50s-60s. He had over 5,000 live jazz recordings on reel to reel. IIRC, they were donated to a college music department when he died.
  • Like 1

Tom Petty stuff mentioned above.  I recently purchased “Full Moon Fever” off of Amazon.  Man, it sounds so good. I have a basic setup that I would imagine most audiophiles would disdain.  But when the album was over and I switched back to Spotify even the wife thought the sound quality just wasn’t there and she usually does not notice these things.

Great experience, recommended.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2021-2022 Tone Poet release schedule is out. Lots of great ones in here. They're pushed back some because RTI is falling behind on production and the print shop they use for the gatefold sleeves had to shut down a bit for Covid. So it gets going in May. One Flight Up is great. 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2021 at 7:05 AM, MC Fresh Breath said:

Tom Petty stuff mentioned above.  I recently purchased “Full Moon Fever” off of Amazon.  Man, it sounds so good. I have a basic setup that I would imagine most audiophiles would disdain.  But when the album was over and I switched back to Spotify even the wife thought the sound quality just wasn’t there and she usually does not notice these things.

Great experience, recommended.

Nice man!

I found an original pressing of Full Moon Fever on Discogs maybe 18 months ago for a somewhat reasonable price... I think it was maybe $40 for VG+.  Sounds amazing.

• Like 2

I just picked up the Wildflowers & The Rest 3 record set.  Enjoyed the hell out of it last night.  Let it Bleed should be here next week. 

After that, I'm going to try to pick up one or two per month from a list I made the other night.  I started sporadically collecting vinyl back in the early to mid 90s.  But now that I have the new console in place, I need to step up my collecting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Received them both today.  Listening to Speak No Evil right now.  It sounds fantastic.

Jinxed myself.  First side sounded great.  Side 2 first track has a pretty loud pop gong on. Dang.  Edit: never mind.  Washed it spin clean and it’s back to greatness.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

On 1/14/2021 at 1:18 PM, MC Fresh Breath said:

Yep. Just ordered the Lee Morgan and

The amazon order for the Lee Morgan was back ordered until March.  Local record shop had like 5 of them, so picked up one today.  For the record(heh) the wife has been out of town this week so both the vinyl buying and playing is happening at higher rate than normal. 

• Like 1

A chunk of tHe Hoffman forum dudes seem to be not enjoying “Song For My Father.”  I am not as picky as they are, but I did notice a pop or two.  Still, overall to my ears it sounds great and is worth it.

”The Sidewinder” sounds freaking fantastic.  I think “Speak No Evil” sounds the best, so if you had to choose that’s where I personally would start.

But remember, most of you know more about this stuff than I do.

A chunk of tHe Hoffman forum dudes seem to be not enjoying “Song For My Father.”  I am not as picky as they are, but I did notice a pop or two.  Still, overall to my ears it sounds great and is worth it.

”The Sidewinder” sounds freaking fantastic.  I think “Speak No Evil” sounds the best, so if you had to choose that’s where I personally would start.
But remember, most of you know more about this stuff than I do.

Do you clean your records at all? New records these days still need a brush if not a quick wet clean, they are usually dirty af out of the package. It sucks, but it is what it is.

17 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Do you clean your records at all? New records these days still need a brush if not a quick wet clean, they are usually dirty af out of the package. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Yeah, I use Spin Clean.  Helped a lot with Speak No Evil.  And used it on Song For My Father before I played it the first time.  A few of the Hoffman dudes said it’s due to the master tape and there will be no perfect version.  Like I said though, it isn’t enough to make me want to return it or anything.

• Like 1

Just got in Weezer Pinkerton this morning VMP. I wish I would have purchased it when I was a member, but was too late. Canceled my subscription after I received De Stijl by the white stripes. 

I know everyone feels differently about Pinkerton, myself included, but after a few listens (Amazon music) it's quickly become a nice favorite along with Deftones and QOTSA for a Sunday afternoon when there isn't any sports to watch. 

• Like 1