Vinyl

CooterBrown

Edit: Anton was the quickest!  
I pre-ordered the Dexter Gordon "One Flight Up" Tone Poet release on Amazon.  Package came in last night.  They shipped me two copies for some reason, but it looks like I was only charged for one.  I'm listening to it today to make sure nothing is wrong with it.  Provided nothing is wrong with it, I'll ship the second one to whoever on this thread PM's me first about it. (Anton wins)  Shipping cost only, since it was free to me.  And you have to be patient with me, I have never shipped an LP before and it may be a day or two before I make it to the post office. 
Seems I got a chance to give back to the thread that has given some good insights to me.

Received this today. It sounds magnificent. Also my first Tone Poet, weirdly enough.

Thanks so much once again, MC.

44e1172853a935436a577c50bd5ef46f.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 5/11/2021 at 9:06 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

Both of the UHQRs are stereo from the 3 track tapes, and are the same mastering that Bernie Grundman did for Classic Records in the 90s.

The original mono tapes were apparently lost or taped over and I don’t think the original mono release was even mastered from them.

Analog Planet said in their review that the UHQR is better than the Classics Record because of how quiet it is. I'm excited for it to arrive. 

• Like 1

Question for you turntable guys...

Friend of mine has this old Hitachi unit

a52e40307096c9400b826039a067282f.jpg

It did work but now it doesn’t work and we think it needs a new needle. This is what we’re working with

c3db75b52aa43de1d8214f33bb934133.jpg
bc0789027840cecbb3d632948fe4e9db.jpg

Can anyone tell me what I need to buy and how one would go about changing it?

This will work, but will probably not be great because it’s not an actual OE one (which aren’t available anymore).

http://www.lpgear.com/product/ADCSQLM34MKIII.html

It just pulls off and the new pushes in.

But, since the cart is in unknown condition, you’re probably better off buying a new cart.

Something like this would be okay, but you’d need to align it.

Audio-Technica AT-VM95E Dual Moving Magnet Turntable Cartridge Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JXD79Q1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_H2ETNAD335YJBD6JC0FH

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

Tough to tell the quality of the components, but damn if these aren’t works of art

http://www.atxrecordplayers.com/optin-22668722

That's awesome that you brought this up.  Shea was an intern at my company a few years back.  He was actually just getting into vinyl at the time and we bonded over that a bit.  About a year after he left, I heard that he started this company.  I can't speak to the quality of the product, but he is a good dude and trustworthy.  Happy that it seems like he is doing well with this endeavor.  

I went and checked out Love Wheel today.  Pretty cool little shop.  I typically go to Waterloo when I know what I want and may pick around a bit.  This is much more of a neighborhood type place where you go in having no idea what you'll find.  It's small, so you can probably get through the stacks in 30 minutes and find some gems.  I'm actually currently listening to the copy of "Let It Bleed" that I picked up today for $10.  It sounds great.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

Tough to tell the quality of the components, but damn if these aren’t works of art

http://www.atxrecordplayers.com/optin-22668722

used to follow this guy on instagram but it made me ragey how much people are willing to pay for these. you can build your own for waaaaaaaaay less than what he's charging. they do look nice though. 

3 hours ago, stc said:

used to follow this guy on instagram but it made me ragey how much people are willing to pay for these. you can build your own for waaaaaaaaay less than what he's charging. they do look nice though. 

I've been working on my woodworking skill specifically for this reason.  Pricing it out, I can build for about $400-500 without electronics.  I am currently working on Sketch Up so I can get my design down. The next step I am working on is doing my corner joints like this. She makes it look simple but it does take some practice.  So, I want to do a dozen practice pieces on scrap lumber before attempting to do it with walnut.  My goal is to get enough practice to start my build in the fall.

• Hook 'Em 3

I'd like to find an old console and try to do that for our dining area but then I counter that with the majority of the time, I'm just listening to records when I'm working in my study so why add the extra expense for a room we're only in about 30 minutes total every day?

Edited by mdmost

OK I'm brand new to this thread, someone explain Discogs to me. For instance, I've been wanting to pick up a copy of Blondie's "Parallel Lines" because my daughters love it.

Search "Parallel Lines" and there's 1,200 results. Click the first one and there are 257 versions. How do I know what's a good version versus a shitty version?

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

OK I'm brand new to this thread, someone explain Discogs to me. For instance, I've been wanting to pick up a copy of Blondie's "Parallel Lines" because my daughters love it.

Search "Parallel Lines" and there's 1,200 results. Click the first one and there are 257 versions. How do I know what's a good version versus a shitty version?

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/blondie-parallel-lines-lp-best-pressing.80103/

On 5/24/2021 at 2:14 PM, MAUFRAIS said:

You are typing out a conversation with yourself.

Just imagine what goes on in my head.

Going to break out the Kind Of Blue UHQR that came in yesterday. Excited to listen given the great reviews. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I won't lie to you fellas, this is just a little to much for me, both in terms of cost ($350) and the space it would take up (12 LPs).  Not even to mention the amount of time to listen to it all.

But I am a bit jealous of those who get it:

The Complete Live at the Lighthouse is an expansive collection that presents for the very first time all 12 sets of music the legendary trumpeter Lee Morgan’s quintet with saxophonist Bennie Maupin, pianist Harold Mabern, bassist Jymie Merritt, and drummer Mickey Roker recorded during their historic engagement at The Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach, California from July 10-12, 1970. This definitive edition produced by Zev Feldman and David Weiss comes in an 8-CD set and a limited-edition 12-LP all-analog 180g vinyl set that encompasses 33 performances including more than 4 hours of previously unreleased music that lets the listener relive the experience of being in the club for every exhilarating moment. Both sets include a beautiful booklet featuring interviews, essays, and rare photos.

https://www.bluenote.com/lee-morgan-the-complete-live-at-the-lighthouse-out-july-30/

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

Just imagine what goes on in my head.
Going to break out the Kind Of Blue UHQR that came in yesterday. Excited to listen given the great reviews. 

The whole thing is great, but man, Cobb’s cymbals on “All Blues” are just allsome.

Also, I can’t stop listening to the One Flight Up Tone Poet that MC sent me, and damn that is a great sounding record as well.

My wife grew up watching Uncle Jay and Packer Jack here in Austin, and had this 45 as a kid.  She’s been telling me about it forever, impossible to find much info on but found a seller on Discogs in the UK that had a copy, so I bought it as a surprise for her.  Paid about $33 for it (probably cost 50 cents when it came out), but worth it, she was super happy and it is near mint, no pops or scratches at all, very clean copy.  And it kicks ass btw.

1C40089A-95A6-4CF2-97C7-45D1D85C459E.jpeg

D27C2928-BF5A-4269-BAA2-FDC802A8FE6D.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 1:15 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

Received this today. It sounds magnificent. Also my first Tone Poet, weirdly enough.

Thanks so much once again, MC.

44e1172853a935436a577c50bd5ef46f.jpg

I've got the same Marantz 2245 receiver. Got a thorens record player. My old man purchased both either before I was born, or right after, as I have a photo of me in one of those cranky old rocking swings. It's amazing that both have held up and sound great. Imagine purchasing a piece of electronics and having it last 44 years and sound much better than most of the stuff that's made today.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever attended vinyl show coming up in October at Palmer...believe its Austin Record Convention/Show?  Is it good venue to find good deals on collectible vinyl?  Just curious..... have 8 hr round-trip drive to attend.  Thanks

On 7/7/2021 at 2:39 PM, Luv2win said:

Anyone ever attended vinyl show coming up in October at Palmer...believe its Austin Record Convention/Show?  Is it good venue to find good deals on collectible vinyl?  Just curious..... have 8 hr round-trip drive to attend.  Thanks

My neighbor has gone and said it's very good.  However, you may want to check's its page on Facebook and see how it was with COVID protocols. I think there were fewer vendors but it may be back to normal by October.  I'll probably go. 

I've got the same Marantz 2245 receiver. Got a thorens record player. My old man purchased both either before I was born, or right after, as I have a photo of me in one of those cranky old rocking swings. It's amazing that both have held up and sound great. Imagine purchasing a piece of electronics and having it last 44 years and sound much better than most of the stuff that's made today.

Me too.ef6c4cba611fd405e3c4997588a7f97b.jpg
5bddd8413e6d45ec486f9a3ccd8eb118.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 3:22 PM, mdmost said:

Yeah, I like Lee Morgan but that's too much. I'm also not a huge live jazz fan. I'm sure it will sound great given what Blue Note has been putting out recently. 

Can't help it but this is my mind on jazz

• 3 weeks later...

What do you guys consider an acceptable amount of time for someone to ship your vinyl after you purchase on Discogs?

I’ve bought maybe 10-15 albums on Discogs and had almost all great experiences, with albums I buy typically shipping out day-of or the next day at the latest.  

I’m currently having the first sort of not-great customer service situation…. I paid for an album last Friday, and then it was radio silence through like Monday evening. At that point I messaged the guy and asked when he planned to ship. He replied that he had been busy over the weekend and would ship it Tuesday morning.  I mean, he wasn’t even apologetic at all… just like, “yeah I’m shipping it tomorrow.” So I got the shipping notification Tuesday afternoon, but he didn’t send a tracking number (first time for that, too).

I’m kind of just waiting now to see when it shows up. This dealer had good reviews overall, but going back and looking, some people did ding him a few times for shipping issues. 

This may be a bit of a busy-body type question, but would you ding him on the reviews for this?  I typically don’t post reviews until after I receive the record and have always given 5-star reviews because every transaction (until now) has been great. I even had a guy send me the wrong record from freaking Germany one time and he was great about refunding me and sending me money to ship it back, etc.

Maybe in the grand scheme it’s no big deal and I’m just being a busy body about it, lol.  I just value clear communication in Internet transactions like this, and it seems like it takes so little effort to do that, I get annoyed when people don’t… especially when everyone else I’ve dealt with on Discogs has been great.

What’s the seller rating? Was there a description of it in the listing?

That doesn’t answer all questions, but I typically don’t even buy from sellers that won’t take time to write even a short description of the record in the listing, unless they have an extremely stellar rating.

Looks like I have made 78 orders from Discogs. Only really had issues with a handful. Returned maybe 2 or 3 for being the wrong record (not matching the listing), and had a few that were overgraded, but I have come out ahead on others too, so it evens out mostly.

• Like 1

He had a good overall rating, but digging in and looking at the individual reviews there were some that complained about his slow shopping.  And yeah there was a full description. Literally the only problem (so far) was his delay in shipping it out and pretty crappy communication about it.

It’s just unlike the other 15 or so transactions I’ve made where it was shipped same day or the next day w tracking info.  

Gonna wait for it to arrive before I post anything. Just curious if others think I’m making too much of this or not. Maybe my other transactions have been the exception? 

After reading some of the post's here I thought this may be a good place for some feedback regarding selling a vinyl collection.  Collection belongs to a friend and as such I've been cataloging it for her over the past 3 years.  As for collection size, it is in excess of 5K LP's.  This past July, I posted here regarding Austin Record Show asking opinions about the event.  Since then she has decided for the present, not to attend due to health issues (elderly) and Covid19 becoming active once again.  Anyway, I am very much a novice with vintage LP value(s) but am educating myself over time.  I know there are websites that proclaim LP values.  However, that's a single release value and not a collection value.  So, the task at hand is selling a vinyl collection.  Any suggestions regarding how to get this collection exposure is much appreciated. 

After reading some of the post's here I thought this may be a good place for some feedback regarding selling a vinyl collection.  Collection belongs to a friend and as such I've been cataloging it for her over the past 3 years.  As for collection size, it is in excess of 5K LP's.  This past July, I posted here regarding Austin Record Show asking opinions about the event.  Since then she has decided for the present, not to attend due to health issues (elderly) and Covid19 becoming active once again.  Anyway, I am very much a novice with vintage LP value(s) but am educating myself over time.  I know there are websites that proclaim LP values.  However, that's a single release value and not a collection value.  So, the task at hand is selling a vinyl collection.  Any suggestions regarding how to get this collection exposure is much appreciated. 

Call local vinyl shops. They’ll come browse the collection and if they Think they can sell a good portion of them, they will make an offer. Get several quotes. They will be all over the map because it’s subjective when pricing a collection and it’ll be a lot less than selling the records one at a time.

2 hours ago, Luv2win said:

Do you have an idea how good of a collection it is, what genres, and eras of music? Depending on what it is, you can find some high end shops that would pay a decent amount for them.

Not sure about Austin but in DFW there are a couple of high end shops that sell first editions of rock, jazz, soul, etc. A place like Forever Young Records in Grand Prairie. A good idea would be to check Discogs for the value of a given set of records. If it's stuff like first editions of any of the big rock names (Beatles, Zeppelin, Stones, etc) or jazz from the 50s and 60s, you'll fetch a good price. If it's just a collection of things you can find at a place like Half Price Books, then you're not getting much for it. 

Consider myself to be a novice when determining collectable vinyl values.  Your comment about shops in Metroplex and first editions is very helpful.  Collection has many release variations of Rock and Jazz.  Many from 50's and 60's.  Many big names original master recordings.  Many release variations not found in on-line databases, whether that's good or bad.  Guess it depends on artist.  Still, task at hand is to get exposure to private collector's and deal directly.

Will check if there is any whipped cream.....thanks yall 

What are your/the seller's goals? If it's to maximize the amount she could possibly make, then the answer you probably don't want to hear is that you should catalogue everything on discogs, including which version of the record it is, and then sell each record individually. 

Selling each individually might be a giant pain in the ass. But if it's a collection that's eclectic and has been well maintained over half a century, there may be some real valuable shit in there.

The fear that I would have about asking a record store/buyer to come out and make you an offer is that if you don't know what you have, they're not likely to be completely honest about the value of the collection, and may lowball the shit out of you. 

Regardless, cataloging everything will take a lot of time but is the only way to make an informed decision. 

Without being disrespectful to the owner, I do understand your comments.  However, to my knowledge there is no urgent need to sell this collection.  At this point, owner is willing to keep searching for private collector's expertise of authentication rather than inviting outside third parties. Not trying to disparage other third parties but thats the direction at this point.  And after cataloging the first 5K plus LP's there are an additional 1K release versions that did not show up when searching on label data. So, as a result those additional 1K may be more desired/valuable to a private collector than the cataloged 5K.  Who knows, may be several unknown valuable discoveries in that group.....also, sorry to say no whipped cream so no lacrosse!  Grand kids will be in tears....

Thank you for your comments!

• 2 weeks later...

There's a cool little record shop in Bastrop that had a lot of interesting records. Well, not as many today as they did yesterday.

This is a cleanest Dark Side MFSL ('81) I've ever seen, so I had to deal for it. And PSA: Cold Fact by Rodriguez really is a great album. Shout out to the Sugarman documentary for hipping me to this dude.bbcd8773ca65b5f23f39e2c3cbdf2622.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BoomMF said:

There's a cool little record shop in Bastrop that had a lot of interesting records. Well, not as many today as they did yesterday.

This is a cleanest Dark Side MFSL ('81) I've ever seen, so I had to deal for it. And PSA: Cold Fact by Rodriguez really is a great album. Shout out to the Sugarman documentary for hipping me to this dude.bbcd8773ca65b5f23f39e2c3cbdf2622.jpg

What's it called? I'm out there fairly often. 

• 3 months later...

Some of you may have seen my somewhat recent acquisition of the "Beautiful Monster," a family heirloom, 1950s turquoise Hollywood Regency, 1976 era McIntosh loaded, 9 ft wide hifi console (see hifi thread).  Getting the stereo components serviced (and reserviced when they forgot a few things) has been close to a year-long saga (if you don't count the first service tech who ended up on a vent from covid, resulting in my having to figure out how to politely get it back (see Larry David thread of awkwardness).  Looks like I will get it back 100% this week.  But over the last year, I have been on a once per month vinyl purchase cycle to fill out the collection a bit.  Here's what I have picked up over the last year (in no particular order).

The Rolling Stones:

Beggar’s Banquet

Let it Bleed

Sticky Fingers

Exile on Main Street

David Byrne & St. Vincent: Love This Giant

Talking Heads:

Speaking in Tongues

Remain in Light

Prince – Purple Rain

Tom Petty

-Wildflowers (and the rest)

-Echo

Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On

Charles Bradley - No Time for Dreaming

*I sympathize with those trying to find the best pressing without overspending.  It can be maddening.  Especially with the Stones albums. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1