Random Officiating Question

956 Worldwide

Is it just me being old or did CFB refs used to call possessions/downs, etc. by jersey color and not team name? (Result of the play is a first down, white). I know for a fact they did in TXHSFB. It strikes as a nice hat tip to the ideal of neutrality— only noticing uniform colors. 

Just noticed several times refs saying stuff like “Ohio State recovers” and wondering if I am misremembering. If not, when did that change? 

Is it just me being old or did CFB refs used to call possessions/downs, etc. by jersey color and not team name? (Result of the play is a first down, white). I know for a fact they did in TXHSFB. It strikes as a nice hat tip to the ideal of neutrality— only noticing uniform colors. 

Just noticed several times refs saying stuff like “Ohio State recovers” and wondering if I am misremembering. If not, when did that change? 

You are an old... But I remember that as well. I think the NFL started calling the city names, then CFB started calling the schools.

I don't know what txhsfb is doing these days...

29 minutes ago, Snacks said:

You are an old... But I remember that as well. I think the NFL started calling the city names, then CFB started calling the schools.

I don't know what txhsfb is doing these days...

The refs weren’t mic’d when I played, but on the field it was always offense/defense or red/white/blue, etc. 

11 hours ago, OrangEngr said:

I’m in my mid 30s and cannot recall a game when texas was referred to as orange or white by the refs

Yea Orange!  Yea White!  Yea Longhorns!  Fight!  Fight!  Fight!  Texas Fight!  Texas Fight!  Yea Texas Fight!

13 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

We called fouls and enforced penalties on the offense or defense when I officiated TXHSFB 2008-2018, but would sometimes reference colors. "Time out, Red". I don't recall mentioning the school or team name much.

Edited by DFW Horn

Remember a game a few years ago where anytime a ref called a penalty against Texas they’d announce it as against “Texas.” When they called a penalty against the opponent it was announced as “offense” or “defense.” Kinda made me wonder how biased they were.

23 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

I think they stopped calling colors when Nike took over at Oregon. “First down, what in the ever-loving fuck that shit is” was drawing too many FCC complaints 

In my experience, officials also usually just reference one-syllable colors; black, white, blue, red, etc. This shit would be "gold" in officiating's vernacular.

Ducks to wear yellow uniforms against Washington

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Sure, keep the thread rolling. 

Potentially off topic, but rules / officiating related --  Why is "spiking the ball to kill the clock", not considered intentional grounding and flagged / penalized accordingly?  Seems it fits all the rules for intentional grounding, yet doesn't ever suffer the consequences. Is there a specific carveout that covers this in the rulebook?

9 minutes ago, Izhmash said:

Potentially off topic, but rules / officiating related --  Why is "spiking the ball to kill the clock", not considered intentional grounding and flagged / penalized accordingly?  Seems it fits all the rules for intentional grounding, yet doesn't ever suffer the consequences. Is there a specific carveout that covers this in the rulebook?

QB isn’t under pressure. 

1 minute ago, LOHorn said:

QB isn’t under pressure. 

Thanks for that insight. I hadn't realize this was the current interpretation of the rules. Sure seems to me that the defense is "moving towards the ball" at the snap. Wouldn't that construe that they are under pressure, technically speaking? Regardless, appreciate the knowledge on how it is being interpreted and implemented from a rules perspective.

That was how I had always thought of it. Went and checked the NCAA rules, and it’s not the lack of duress. Rule 7, Section 3, f says that a pass isn’t illegal if it’s thrown to conserve time immediately after gaining possession.

i guess they carved a little loophole out just for spiking. 

Edited by LOHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

There’s some logic. With spiking, you make a strategic decision to surrender a down for time and don’t force the defense to run a full play.  For grounding, you are trying to have your cake and eat it— advance the ball if you can but then if you don’t like what the defense gives you, just surrender the down with no other consequences. 

• Hook 'Em 1