Bourbon

Jimbaround

So evidently Specs got the Wild Turkey Masters Keep BiB.

My local one straight up lied to me yesterday and said they didn’t get any in. Said check back later. Guy that normally hooks me up said if they got them in, he’s hold one for me.
Stopped in today and they said they were sold out. Asked when they got them, said yesterday.

Fuck Spec’s. They lost all my money today.

2 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

My local one straight up lied to me yesterday and said they didn’t get any in. Said check back later. Guy that normally hooks me up said if they got them in, he’s hold one for me.
Stopped in today and they said they were sold out. Asked when they got them, said yesterday.

emoji35.pngemoji35.pngemoji35.png

I went to a location here in SA today because their system said they had some Knob Creek SiB store picks in, but it turned out to be a mixup with their online inventory. 

They offered to sell me their last Masters Keep BiB, but I didn’t feel like dropping the $175 for it. I’ll probably regret it later, but c’est la vie...

18 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

emoji35.pngemoji35.pngemoji35.png

Ha they’re all liars 

10 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

I went to a location here in SA today because their system said they had some Knob Creek SiB store picks in, but it turned out to be a mixup with their online inventory. 

They offered to sell me their last Masters Keep BiB, but I didn’t feel like dropping the $175 for it. I’ll probably regret it later, but c’est la vie...

I'm going on my weekly beer/wine/cocktail bourbon run today. If Masters Keep BiB is in the case, I'll buy it. I don't think it will be. Wild Turkey has a small, but rabid fanbase. They usually snap up special releases in an instant. I never even saw the Masters Keep Rye. 

19 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

I have a MMPS from Alamo City Liquors and I really enjoy it, but I have a regular RRSB that I enjoy a bit better. Once I polish off that bottle I’m going to get a RRSB pick from TW and hope it’s better than the regular bottle. The TW by me has their pick of RRSB for like $63, which beats their MMPS by like $8. 

Yep, I bought the TW barrel pick today.  $63

This was for the RR Private Barrel Select Unfiltered

Edited by huge

Alright. Cards on the table. Is it worth $100 more than a good Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel store pick?

I’ll preface this with this,
Russell’s Reserve is my favorite go to higher end daily.
The 17 yr is a lot more complex than the RR.
It’s got so much going on, it’s rich, full of vanilla on the nose, smoke and a lot of oak on the palate and finish. Which with it being so old doesn’t surprise me.

Is it $100 better than Russell’s?
No, but that’s not a slam on this bottle, it’s a statement of how good Russell’s is IMO.
With that being said, I’m gonna enjoy every sip of this and will probably get another one if I can.

42 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

I’ll preface this with this,
Russell’s Reserve is my favorite go to higher end daily.
The 17 yr is a lot more complex than the RR.
It’s got so much going on, it’s rich, full of vanilla on the nose, smoke and a lot of oak on the palate and finish. Which with it being so old doesn’t surprise me.

Is it $100 better than Russell’s?
No, but that’s not a slam on this bottle, it’s a statement of how good Russell’s is IMO.
With that being said, I’m gonna enjoy every sip of this and will probably get another one if I can.

Thanks. Nice write up. What are your thoughts on Cornerstone Rye? 

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Thanks. Nice write up. What are your thoughts on Cornerstone Rye? 

I need to go back and have a pour of the cornerstone, it's been close to a year since I had it last.  From what I remember, it was good but not great.  I do know the mashbill is a barely legal rye at 52%.  

3 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

I need to go back and have a pour of the cornerstone, it's been close to a year since I had it last.  From what I remember, it was good but not great.  I do know the mashbill is a barely legal rye at 52%.  

This guy loves the barely legal ryes. I think I'll enjoy it. I'm excited to try it. 

11 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

I read in another group that I’m in that TW no longer keeps allocated bottles up in front of the store and now put everything on the shelves. Apparently that started this week. Have any of you guys seen that this week?

Whoa. Huge if true. I wonder how they'll lay out tater bait in the future? 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Whoa. Huge if true. I wonder how they'll lay out tater bait in the future? 

I went to TW this morning at opening along with a few other hunters and this seems to be the case. The staff said anything allocated would be on the shelves. The BT and WSR that’s usually kept up front was on the shelf.

On 6/11/2020 at 1:02 PM, ousuxndallas said:

Bought a bottle of Noah's Mill today at Specs. Limit 1. What's the consensus on it?

I assume you're located in Dallas. You didn't do bad, but you could do better at that price point and where you're located. You could have saved $10-12 and picked up Wild Turkey Rare Breed or purchased a bottle of Russell's Reserve Single Barrel (regular or store pick depending on availability). 

As a general rule, I usually stay away from anything Willett that isn't Family Reserve. You really don't know what you're getting or where they sourced it from. Family Reserve prints everything you need to know on the label.

Spec's guy always pushes the hell of Noah's Mill and I've never understood why. I assume they receive a commission on every bottle sold. Total Wine does the same thing. They were pushing the hell out of that Clyde Mae's crap for the longest time. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

4 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

I went to TW this morning at opening along with a few other hunters and this seems to be the case. The staff said anything allocated would be on the shelves. The BT and WSR that’s usually kept up front was on the shelf.

If you can't find a handle of a Buffalo Trace store pick, I think Weller Special Reserve handles are the best bang for you buck for $40. That's a lot of good bourbon for the price. 

1 minute ago, TxTower said:

Baby Saz has been my everyday rye for years. Starting to branch out now that the number of ryes has proliferated but Saz is still the best bang for your buck rye IMHO.

I keep wanting to buy Rittenhouse as a value pick, but Pikesville has a hold on me. Baby Saz is pretty tasty. My Baby Saz Old Fashioneds went fast on Derby Day 2019. Tore through a bottle real fast. My Buffalo Trace Mint Juleps with Sonic ice went a bit slower. 

Am I crazy to call it too hot? I mean it beats the doors off of regular Larceny, but I think it needs some work. 

Not at all. It’s a problem I have with just about all the barrel proofs but sacrifices must be made to get the full flavor profile no?

16 minutes ago, TxTower said:

Not at all. It’s a problem I have with just about all the barrel proofs but sacrifices must be made to get the full flavor profile no?

I'm upper middle class bourbon, so I haven't had the chance to experience the Heaven Hill Old Fitzgerald releases.They do many things well, old bourbons, high proof traditional bourbons, barely legal ryes, the Parker's releases, but I'm not sure if they've nailed wheaters based on my experience. Larceny is decent. Larceny Single Barrel is good to really good. Larceny Barrel Proof is real hot, and it never calms down to me. Larceny Barrel Proof is a buy at MSRP, but please don't pay premium. Anything over $70 is just going to piss you off. 

I keep wanting to buy Rittenhouse as a value pick, but Pikesville has a hold on me. Baby Saz is pretty tasty. My Baby Saz Old Fashioneds went fast on Derby Day 2019. Tore through a bottle real fast. My Buffalo Trace Mint Juleps with Sonic ice went a bit slower. 
Give me Baby Saz over Pikesville every day.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
31 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Give me Baby Saz over Pikesville every day.

Whoa. Strong words there. I think Baby Saz is underproofed. Take it up to 110, and we could make a real comparison. 

Chewy - what’s your take on the FR Small Batch Select? One of my favorite bourbon lines but have yet to try that one. Love the Small Batch for $30. Hell I used to get it for less than $30.
Not sure what i think of it yet. Tastes hotter than it is at 104.

I would crush a sonic ice julep right now...

I wouldn’t chase Weller 12 with 1910. The 1910 was fine, but it had some bonfire tasting notes. 

In other news, Buffalo Trace continues to do cool stuff to please their fans. Benchmark 8 Single Barrel and Full Proof (125)  labels are out there.