Arrested Development

Evenkeel

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

How is this possible.

The original airings had bad ratings, so a lot didn't see it.

If you are new and binging from start to finish it will probably make the Netflix versions easier to watch, but if you watched the originals back in the aughts and then waited 10+ years you were very letdown by the Netflix stuff.  They just couldn't quite recapture the magic.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The original airings had bad ratings, so a lot didn't see it.

If you are new and binging from start to finish it will probably make the Netflix versions easier to watch, but if you watched the originals back in the aughts and then waited 10+ years you were very letdown by the Netflix stuff.  They just couldn't quite recapture the magic.

image.gif.71b6a734e00bcda82c01f3800f87c9b9.gif

Edited by The Dude

17 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

I started a rewatch a few months ago and was disappointed in the number of FOX seasons. I forgot there was so few before they got canned. Yeah it definitely doesn't hold up, I gave up on it somewhere almost through the Netflix season. Those original seasons are great though.

Yeah the original seasons 1-3 are pure magic/gold.

I actually found the "remix" of season 4, where Mitch Hurwitz re-edited it to weave all of the stories together, rather than have episodes focused on single characters, to be a drastic improvement and enjoyed the re-watch. If you haven't checked that out, would recommend.

Season 5 had a few highlights, but overall was pretty "meh."

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 years later...

I'm going to have to give the Netflix seasons another shot.  IIRC, the first one was shot in a way in which each actor filmed their scenes individually.  Then, it was all edited together at a later time.  To me, it made it kind of unwatchable.  Most of the magic contained within the show is in the interaction of the characters.  Going to give @oSuJeff97 suggestion a shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm going to have to give the Netflix seasons another shot.  IIRC, the first one was shot in a way in which each actor filmed their scenes individually.  Then, it was all edited together at a later time.  To me, it made it kind of unwatchable.  Most of the magic contained within the show is in the interaction of the characters.  Going to give @oSuJeff97 suggestion a shot.

Yeah it’s been a few years, but IIRC, they also filmed some additional new scenes to help the “Remix” flow better.

It’s not as good as seasons 1-3 (not much of anything is..), but the Remix is a definite improvement over the original version. Just goes to show you how proper editing can really improve a show.

• Hook 'Em 1