What the fuck is wrong with you, Houston?

52-80

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Rare that you see a "cop killer" fully acquitted

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/crime/article/robert-soliz-trial-houston-police-death-verdict-17585873.php

non pay wall: https://archive.ph/pQB3k

Cliff notes:

• off duty cop, not in uniform, somehow got tangled up in a freeway, road rage incident with another driver
  • the other driver definitely doesn't seem like a model citizen by any stretch
  • they ended up confronting each off on a side road
  • Cop ends up shot and dies
  • charged with murder not capital murder
  • defendant claims self-defense and testifies as such
  • acquitted

While impossible to prove, I have to think that George Floyd type incidents increasingly give cops a bad look, which can lead more citizens in believing that they can and do instigate problems.

Does the following mean that the DA didn't want to give the jurors other outs and effectively screwed up?

When I read the story yesterday, I was really surprised about the last part. Seems like the DA had a bad strategy on this one. I would be willing to bet that he gets convicted on something in this case had the jurors been able to consider a lesser charge.

23 minutes ago, royiv said:

When I read the story yesterday, I was really surprised about the last part. Seems like the DA had a bad strategy on this one. I would be willing to bet that he gets convicted on something in this case had the jurors been able to consider a lesser charge.

He's in jail on other charges. He might slip and fall down 5 flights of stairs.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

He's in jail on other charges. He might slip and fall down 5 flights of stairs.

He'll have every gang member in jail lauding him as a hero. Any guard that fucks with him will have a target on their back.

The defendant, with face tattoos, gets on the stand to argue self-defense when he killed a non-uniformed cop. I believe the DA conceded that the defendant didn't know it was a cop and they have no idea if the cop identified himself.

My understanding is that a defendant should never testify because the prosecutor will tear them up. Didn't seem to happen here.

Another example of our failing DA.

• 4 weeks later...