What the fuck is wrong with you, Houston?

52-80

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

All that shit happens in Houston suburbs, too.

Been here 6 years never even heard of that happening here and we are a very small community.

7 minutes ago, WBT said:

But have at least 3 cars been stolen?  gtfo with your both sides.

see below

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

I live inside the loop and don't know a single person who has had their car stolen in the last year. According to my anecdotal evidence, no cars get stolen inside the loop. Crazy how that works!

It's like its not 2022 and there isn't availability to crime maps or data that you could reference before talking out the side of your neck. In Houston, with its zoning issues, you are never too far from a rough area as long as you are inside the loop or beltway. This is no secret. Its been this way for decades. Try reading up on it. Next you are going to tell me how HISD schools "are not that bad" or how since I only know a couple people who bent rims on the roads inside the loop that it's "anecdotal evidence" too right? Fuck outta here with that shit. One peek at a crime map and it will tell you I am dead right about what I am saying.

• Hook 'Em 1

2% down on a bond it is !!
https://www.khou.com/amp/article/news/local/harris-county-bail-reform-rejection/285-22e6d1c9-f885-4571-bfc4-7a83e581eaed

maybe the laws need that be changed … if you’re out on bond and commit another crime, that bond is forfeited ?
Asking for common sense laws to fight crime is asking for too much.
  • Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Been here 6 years never even heard of that happening here and we are a very small community.

see below

It's like its not 2022 and there isn't availability to crime maps or data that you could reference before talking out the side of your neck. In Houston, with its zoning issues, you are never too far from a rough area as long as you are inside the loop or beltway. This is no secret. Its been this way for decades. Try reading up on it. Next you are going to tell me how HISD schools "are not that bad" or how since I only know a couple people who bent rims on the roads inside the loop that it's "anecdotal evidence" too right? Fuck outta here with that shit. One peek at a crime map and it will tell you I am dead right about what I am saying.

Inside the Beltway is the suburbs. 

39 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Do other cities have zoning for rough areas? 

We lived in Los Angeles before here. Beverly Hills is next to Bel Air is next to Westwood is next to Brentwood is next to Palisades. Woodland Hills(where I lived) is next to Calabasas is next to Agoura Hills is next to Westlake Village is next to Thousand Oaks. All the nice areas are in a row and all the hoods are in a row. Beverly Hills isn't bordered on both sides by what looks like a third world country like Bellaire Houston is. In LA if you are rich you have to go a long way to stumble into the wrong area unless you live in a high rise downtown. Austin was always The West Side vs the East Side. That just recently changed. Before as long as you were west of campus you were good. Houston is one of the few cities that has its nicest areas one block away from the hood. Its like you guys never lived anywhere else.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

We lived in Los Angeles before here. Beverly Hills is next to Bel Air is next to Westwood is next to Brentwood is next to Palisades. Woodland Hills(where I lived) is next to Calabasas is next to Agoura Hills is next to Westlake Village is next to Thousand Oaks. All the nice areas are in a row and all the hoods are in a row. Beverly Hills isn't bordered on both sides by what looks like a third world country like Bellaire Houston is. In LA if you are rich you have to go a long way to stumble into the wrong area unless you live in a high rise downtown. Austin was always The West Side vs the East Side. That just recently changed. Before as long as you were west of campus you were good. Houston is one of the few cities that has its nicest areas one block away from the hood. Its like you guys never lived anywhere else.

I disagree about your analogy in comparing Bellaire to Beverly Hills.  River Oaks doesn't have a rough area across the street. I don't really see a problem with Tanglewood. Same with many other "top" neighborhoods.

Perhaps these other cities had more redlining to keep out poor people or less desired, by whatever definition rich people want to use. Maybe the cops scare off the undesired from entering those neighborhoods as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Please direct us to the hood in closest proximity to the following:

River Oaks

West U.

Broadacres/Boulevard Oaks

Southampton Place

Afton Oaks

Tanglewood

Edited by David Dennison
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Please direct us to the hood in closest proximity to the following:

River Oaks

West U.

Broadacres/Boulevard Oaks

Southampton Place

Afton Oaks

Tanglewood

Quit being obtuse. You know exactly what I mean. That is why Lamar High School, the crown jewel of HISD, is a mere 5 out of 10 despite pulling well to do kids from all those areas you just listed. Why is that David? Because Lamar pulls other elements from in between those areas as well. There are tons of apts all through those areas, and they aren't all high end. Add in all the odly placed retail shops and its a weirdly laid out city that doesn't feel safe even though you paid 3 million for your house, and the schools, even though they are smack dab in the middle of some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the city are shit. I love how you guys try to make someone feel like they are clueless when its actually you that are falling short. You act as though the way Houston is constructed is the same in every city when its not.

Today, Houston is the largest city in the country with no regulation.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Weirdest-images-from-Houston-s-lack-of-zoning-laws-9171688.php

• Hook 'Em 1

That is very unique to Bellaire Houston. And I would never compare Bellaire Houston to those LA neighborhoods. They aren’t remotely the same.
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Quit being obtuse. You know exactly what I mean. That is why Lamar High School, the crown jewel of HISD, is a mere 5 out of 10 despite pulling well to do kids from all those areas you just listed. Why is that David? Because Lamar pulls other elements from in between those areas as well. There are tons of apts all through those areas, and they aren't all high end. Add in all the odly placed retail shops and its a weirdly laid out city that doesn't feel safe even though you paid 3 million for your house, and the schools, even though they are smack dab in the middle of some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the city are shit. I love how you guys try to make someone feel like they are clueless when its actually you that are falling short. You act as though the way Houston is constructed is the same in every city when its not.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Weirdest-images-from-Houston-s-lack-of-zoning-laws-9171688.php

Hardly anyone from these neighborhoods sends their kids to Lamar.  It's about 1 out of 100 of the people I know, and that is mainly because their son wanted to play high school football there.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Hardly anyone from these neighborhoods sends their kids to Lamar.  It's about 1 out of 100 of the people I know, and that is mainly because their son wanted to play high school football there.

Almost 3000 students and hardly anyone from the neighborhoods zoned to it sends their kids there. Gotcha.

19 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Almost 3000 students and hardly anyone from the neighborhoods zoned to it sends their kids there. Gotcha.

I mean, have you seen the school across the street?

Johnny's right, kids from the aforementioned neighborhoods tend to go to private schools.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Johnny's right, kids from the aforementioned neighborhoods tend to go to private schools.

literally, right next door

the two schools in 'Rushmore', are in Houston and next door to one another 

Edited by tx 3 putt

26 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I've lived in one of those neighborhoods for 16 years.  Most of the people I know do as well.  I can think of one that sent their kid to Lamar, and that is because he wanted to play football there.  It just is not common and it will get even less common given the increase in home prices.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I have seen the school across the street. However, we just got done talking about there not being any bad areas adjacent to the neighborhoods you listed. So if those neighborhoods are all zoned to Lamar and there are no other areas tucked in there, where did the 3000 students come from that are attending school there?

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I've lived in one of those neighborhoods for 16 years.  Most of the people I know do as well.  I can think of one that sent their kid to Lamar, and that is because he wanted to play football there.  It just is not common and it will get even less common given the increase in home prices.

You can literally sit outside of Lamar and watch all the kids walking to school from the neighborhoods around it.

8 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I have seen the school across the street. However, we just got done talking about there not being any bad areas adjacent to the neighborhoods you listed. So if those neighborhoods are all zoned to Lamar and there are no other areas tucked in there, where did the 3000 students come from that are attending school there?

Well, it is a magnet school. Also, a lot of students zoned for Wisdom High School (fomerly Lee High School) can attend Lamar if they so choose. 

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Some of the nonadjacent neighborhoods.  Some of the stuff south of Braeswood.  Stuff near Durham north of Bayou. Midtown. Over off OST near Reliant. I was driving over to Southwest Fertilizer on Sunday and there was some very shady apartments off Bissonnett and one had a big sign noting it was zoned to Lamar.  Also, it is a magnet school so it pulls kids from outside its boundaries.  Lots of them.

People who live in River Oaks, West U, Afton Oaks, Oak Estates, Avalon Place, Boulevard Oaks, Southampton just do not send their kids to Lamar.  West U folks will do West U elementary but nope out of public schools unless they get into Pin Oak and even then bail out of HISD instead of going to Lamar.

Drive around those neighborhoods and see what school signs you will see.  St. Johns, ROBS, AOS, Presbyterian, St. Agnes, Strake, Episcopal, Kinkaid, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

Who here lives in HISD and had kids in high school?

Again, what point is being made here?

Sack is saying rich people don't send their kids to public school.  Before that point was made, it was something about rich people not being hood adjacent.

Ok. What is the point? We know 'demographics' are a thing for some people of a certain net worth it income (among other traits).

Why am I even here?

I’ve lived there longer than you. This is bullshit.
  • Haha 2

31fe4b95ea0092a6f656d4f6958a32b0.jpg
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

200.gif

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Where is the "bad" neighborhood within walking distance to Lamar?

So no parents that live in the area send their kids there and there are no bad pockets near there either. Yet every morning there are swarms of kids walking to Lamar. Can't have it both ways. Which one is it?

7 hours ago, Thatguy said:

So no parents that live in the area send their kids there and there are no bad pockets near there either. Yet every morning there are swarms of kids walking to Lamar. Can't have it both ways. Which one is it?

There aren't swarms of people walking.  If someone is walking it's because a parent dropped them off down the street to avoid carpool.

I know lots of River Oaks people and have my entire life.  I've never met one who sends their kids to Lamar.

17 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

There aren't swarms of people walking.  If someone is walking it's because a parent dropped them off down the street to avoid carpool.

I know lots of River Oaks people and have my entire life.  I've never met one who sends their kids to Lamar.

I have. 20 years ago I knew several RO kids at Lamar. Even more West U kids. Maybe things have changed.

34 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I've got an aunt who went to Lamar because she specifically didn't want to go to St. Johns. Two of the other siblings that went to St. Johns are country club antivaxxers and one is a full-on Q loon. 

But it does ring true to me that you wouldn't deign to associate with those people who go to Lamar

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I've got an aunt who went to Lamar because she specifically didn't want to go to St. Johns. Two of the other siblings that went to St. Johns are country club antivaxxers and one is a full-on Q loon. 

But it does ring true to me that you wouldn't deign to associate with those people who go to Lamar

I mean I have family that attend there.  

Surprised St. John's has many anti-vaxxers.  It is ultra, ultra woke.

9 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Of course some parents send their kids there. Some kids choose to go to school there. A lot of parents who live in the area choose to send their kids to private schools. But you seem to be saying that some of the kids you see walking to Lamar come from "bad" neighborhoods. What neighborhoods are those?

Edited by David Dennison

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Me either.  I live in the burbs where the schools are good. 

The suburbs is where the poors move to feel rich...

(just piling on... I know the primary attribute that correlates with a student's educational attainment... It isn't 'good schools or other code....)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Rare that you see a "cop killer" fully acquitted

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/crime/article/robert-soliz-trial-houston-police-death-verdict-17585873.php

non pay wall: https://archive.ph/pQB3k

Cliff notes:

• off duty cop, not in uniform, somehow got tangled up in a freeway, road rage incident with another driver
  • the other driver definitely doesn't seem like a model citizen by any stretch
  • they ended up confronting each off on a side road
  • Cop ends up shot and dies
  • charged with murder not capital murder
  • defendant claims self-defense and testifies as such
  • acquitted

While impossible to prove, I have to think that George Floyd type incidents increasingly give cops a bad look, which can lead more citizens in believing that they can and do instigate problems.

Does the following mean that the DA didn't want to give the jurors other outs and effectively screwed up?

The jurors were not able to consider a lesser charge for their deliberations.