What the fuck is wrong with you, Houston?

52-80

10 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I hate this shithole. Don’t @ me with your “this could happen anywhere”. No fucking shit.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/abandoned-kids-apartment-harris-county/285-0146dc2e-e1f1-420d-8319-1fd6fd8fafaf

I don’t know how you’re blaming the city on this one.

assuming there hasn’t been a recent rent payment, I surprised the apt mgmt hasn’t been by. 

There needs to be a serious conversation about people that have kids in this country.  There are a LOT of people who have no business having kids.  This is what fucking happens.  And yet, we make it almost impossible for those kids to go to a family that could love them.  It is a fucking travesty.

• Hook 'Em 9

29 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah that's weird that the mom and boyfriend at least appear to be guilty of child endangerment or abandonment. The only reason that I can see that they would have been released is if they weren't the guardians of the kids. The story doesn't mention that one way or the other.  Morally the mom is responsible for the kids but perhaps the dad or someone else was the guardian.  

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t know how you’re blaming the city on this one.

assuming there hasn’t been a recent rent payment, I surprised the apt mgmt hasn’t been by. 

I wondered about this as well. If they weren't paying rent, surely someone working for the apartment complex would drop by. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I wondered about this as well. If they weren't paying rent, surely someone working for the apartment complex would drop by. 

I just heard on local radio that someone was also giving the children food, so presumably some adult(s) had an idea about their condition.

From some discussions related to distant family members, I think more kids live in bad conditions than many like to think. Consider how bad the opioid/meth problem is in America. Do you think any children of the addicts are going to school or being properly cared for?

EDIT: I know we all want someone punished immediately for stories like this, but the good news about this story is that these 3 kids are now being taken care of by CPS. And as much as I could go on about problems with CPS, it sounds like these kids lived in hell in that apt. Law enforcement will find and punish those responsible. A few more days doesn't matter.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I just heard on local radio that someone was also giving the children food, so presumably some adult(s) had an idea about their condition.

From some discussions related to distant family members, I think more kids live in bad conditions than many like to think. Consider how bad the opioid/meth problem is in America. Do you think any children of the addicts are going to school or being properly cared for?

EDIT: I know we all want someone punished immediately for stories like this, but the good news about this story is that these 3 kids are now being taken care of by CPS. And as much as I could go on about problems with CPS, it sounds like these kids lived in hell in that apt. Law enforcement will find and punish those responsible. A few more days doesn't matter.

More than likely things won't go well for the foster parents. Most of the time the kids are way too fucked up to live in a typical household. And they will just run away from any sort of group home.

This one hits close to home. I started watching my younger brother and sister probably while I was in 6th grade. Both my parents had really long commutes and they usually needed me for a couple hours on weekdays. I was fortunate and had a tremendous support system of neighbors to lean on. 

It feels like if one, just 1 adult had gotten involved this tragedy could have been avoided. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This one hits close to home. I started watching my younger brother and sister probably while I was in 6th grade. Both my parents had really long commutes and they usually needed me for a couple hours on weekdays. I was fortunate and had a tremendous support system of neighbors to lean on. 

It feels like if one, just 1 adult had gotten involved this tragedy could have been avoided. 

I had a friend who had skeletons in the closet, but it was a metaphor rather than a real human skeleton.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

There are absolutely a lot of families that in this boat.  I am not going to CR it up, but suffice to say that it is harder and harder to "Live the American Dream" on current wages.  A family in a very large city making a combined 300k is significantly worse off today than they were 25 years ago.  The cost of housing, education, etc... has grown exponentially.  

39 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

There are absolutely a lot of families that in this boat.  I am not going to CR it up, but suffice to say that it is harder and harder to "Live the American Dream" on current wages.  A family in a very large city making a combined 300k is significantly worse off today than they were 25 years ago.  The cost of housing, education, etc... has grown exponentially.  

I think their gross combined was only $275K

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

That is part of it.  Another part of it is people consume more of shit they don't really need. When I was a kid, and my family had money, we ate out once a week.  We had one phone line.  Two televisions.  Got our stations over the air until we finally got cable when I was a teenager.  Houses were smaller.  Cars were not nearly as fancy.  No data plans.  People did not drop thousands on tattoos that seemingly every poor person today can manage to afford. No one spent $6 on a coffee. Vacations often were to grandparents.

I agree with much of what you are saying.  But today's society consumes more.  Look at how fat the average person is.

If I was a life coach/mentor for a young kid today, unless they had the aptitude and drive to be a physician, finance or something tech, I would strongly encourage they learn a trade. I have a second cousin who came from nothing. He became a master electrician.  Hired others.  Now has a huge contracting business and can fly private when he chooses. The last thing I would encourage for anyone, unless they had $10+ million in a trust fund, would be to spend hundreds of thousands on a non STEM college degree unless it is Stanford or Ivy.  If you want to major in psychology, go to a low cost in state school. The American Dream is still best realized in America, you need to be more strategic than you did 40 years ago.

Too many people have kids they should not.  If I was a billionaire, I would start a foundation paying young low-income women a monthly stipend if they could prove they use an IUD. Would do wonders for society if people would wait until they are married or some equivalent before having kids. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

That is part of it.  Another part of it is people consume more of shit they don't really need. When I was a kid, and my family had money, we ate out once a week.  We had one phone line.  Two televisions.  Got our stations over the air until we finally got cable when I was a teenager.  Houses were smaller.  Cars were not nearly as fancy.  No data plans.  People did not drop thousands on tattoos that seemingly every poor person today can manage to afford. No one spent $6 on a coffee. Vacations often were to grandparents.

I agree with much of what you are saying.  But today's society consumes more.  Look at how fat the average person is.

If I was a life coach/mentor for a young kid today, unless they had the aptitude and drive to be a physician, finance or something tech, I would strongly encourage they learn a trade. I have a second cousin who came from nothing. He became a master electrician.  Hired others.  Now has a huge contracting business and can fly private when he chooses. The last thing I would encourage for anyone, unless they had $10+ million in a trust fund, would be to spend hundreds of thousands on a non STEM college degree unless it is Stanford or Ivy.  If you want to major in psychology, go to a low cost in state school. The American Dream is still best realized in America, you need to be more strategic than you did 40 years ago.

Too many people have kids they should not.  If I was a billionaire, I would start a foundation paying young low-income women a monthly stipend if they could prove they use an IUD. Would do wonders for society if people would wait until they are married or some equivalent before having kids. 

I am not fully opposed to the idea of an IUD, but an IUD can have consequences later.  So, why should it just be the female that has to have something inserted that changes her hormones?  How about investing in research so that a pill could be found to stop men from being fertile while on the pill?

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am not fully opposed to the idea of an IUD, but an IUD can have consequences later.  So, why should it just be the female that has to have something inserted that changes her hormones?  How about investing in research so that a pill could be found to stop men from being fertile while on the pill?

You should know by now that will never happen.  It isn't as profitable, and there's no getting off on the power of subjugating your own gender peers into being responsible for not getting someone pregnant.  

• Rage+1 1

We know so many people who have no business having kids. And many of them have confided in us that they probably shouldn’t have had kids. Now they are all responsible adults in varying degrees of middle to upper class and have provided good lives for their kids. So no CPS type issues at all, they are good parents. But kids haven’t been great for them personally.

I’ve recommended to two different people to not have kids, their lifestyles and personalities don’t fit. But so many people just think they are supposed to have kids so that’s what they do.

I love having kids, but I’m also a homebody and am OK with routine day after day.

17 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

If you want to major in psychology, go to a low cost in state school. The American Dream is still best realized in America, you need to be more strategic than you did 40 years ago.

Anecdotal, but I just had a psychologist come through my office. $150/hr with limited overhead. Plus he pays psychologists $75/hr to work under him so if those 2 are booked, he can make $300/hr. That comes to $700K per year with no nights and weekends. Not bad just to listen to people.

35 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Anecdotal, but I just had a psychologist come through my office. $150/hr with limited overhead. Plus he pays psychologists $75/hr to work under him so if those 2 are booked, he can make $300/hr. That comes to $700K per year with no nights and weekends. Not bad just to listen to people.

I think psychology is a worthy field, but generally, you aren't going to be able to shit with it if you just have an undergrad degree. You are going to have to get a masters at the very least, and most likely a PhD.  Most people that just did Psych undergrad with no grad school end up in HR.  Needless to say, when I am looking at cost cutting, HR is the first group that comes to mind.  

• Hook 'Em 1

What the fuck Houston.  Bunch of soccer teams from DFW down to Houston for games.  Houston Marriott North, off the Sam Houston PKWY East.  Stayed there many times over many years.  Big metal fencing around it?  Security car out front.  Except the front of course.  Wide open.   Whatever.  Off to the bar

The next morning I hear to get the kid something better than hotel breakfast.  Start my Tundra and it roars up like a Dodge Hellcat.  Weird?  Turn off.  Turn back on.  Again?  Slowly drive out of the parking lot, it's as loud as a Harley.  Then I get a call from another dad:  "hey, is your truck rally loud and making weird noises"?

That night, some chuckle-fuck, blue-waffle eating, cock-bags hit EIGHT FUCKING Toyota trucks that night.  Catalytic converters.  Sawed clean off with a skill saw.  FUCK!

Luckily for me, coach has an old friend at a muffler shop who get me an aftermarket one.  Then we happen to see the news.  Huge rash of hits all over the city.  Everyone we talk to says it's happening everywhere.  FUCK!

It was a shit show, kids scrambling to get to games.  People trying to find parts, coordinate with insurance.  

You cant' tell me in the smaller-ish lot, the hotel and security didn't know what was going on.  Those saws (I have one) are loud, especially cutting metal.  Filed online with HPD and one of the dads filed formal complaint with Marriott corporate.  Also had an XBOX stolen and "returned" later in one of the rooms after someone flipped out.

Oooops, sorry.  Was this yours?

FUCK YOU HOUSTON!

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

What the fuck Houston.  Bunch of soccer teams from DFW down to Houston for games.  Houston Marriott North, off the Sam Houston PKWY East.  Stayed there many times over many years.  Big metal fencing around it?  Security car out front.  Except the front of course.  Wide open.   Whatever.  Off to the bar

The next morning I hear to get the kid something better than hotel breakfast.  Start my Tundra and it roars up like a Dodge Hellcat.  Weird?  Turn off.  Turn back on.  Again?  Slowly drive out of the parking lot, it's as loud as a Harley.  Then I get a call from another dad:  "hey, is your truck rally loud and making weird noises"?

That night, some chuckle-fuck, blue-waffle eating, cock-bags hit EIGHT FUCKING Toyota trucks that night.  Catalytic converters.  Sawed clean off with a skill saw.  FUCK!

Luckily for me, coach has an old friend at a muffler shop who get me an aftermarket one.  Then we happen to see the news.  Huge rash of hits all over the city.  Everyone we talk to says it's happening everywhere.  FUCK!

It was a shit show, kids scrambling to get to games.  People trying to find parts, coordinate with insurance.  

You cant' tell me in the smaller-ish lot, the hotel and security didn't know what was going on.  Those saws (I have one) are loud, especially cutting metal.  Filed online with HPD and one of the dads filed formal complaint with Marriott corporate.  Also had an XBOX stolen and "returned" later in one of the rooms after someone flipped out.

Oooops, sorry.  Was this yours?

FUCK YOU HOUSTON!

And lol at the aftermarket catalytic convertor.  You probably got one that had been stolen off of someone else's truck.

• Haha 2

I'm sorry that happened to you Yaga. While Gunspoint is horrible, my first job out of college officed up there, I don't think it's just a Gunspoint thing. I think it's likely a truck thing. 

Everybody was getting their tailgate stolen in Garden Oaks a few years back. I think we can all agree that GO is a fairly affluent area. 

Thieves have the internet too. They know which parts draw the highest dollar amount and that's what they're targeting. 

18 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm sorry that happened to you Yaga. While Gunspoint is horrible, my first job out of college officed up there, I don't think it's just a Gunspoint thing. I think it's likely a truck thing. 

Everybody was getting their tailgate stolen in Garden Oaks a few years back. I think we can all agree that GO is a fairly affluent area. 

Thieves have the internet too. They know which parts draw the highest dollar amount and that's what they're targeting. 

First thing HPD said when I called and said it was vehicle related:  "was it your catalytic convertor"?

52 minutes ago, royiv said:

Long winded way of saying you stayed in a high crime area and were surprised when you became a crime victim. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

We didn't pick the hotel or the location, you cock bag. It was a league tournament

4 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Houston Marriott North, off the Sam Houston PKWY East

Greenspointed

Im from greenspoint and dont even recommend someone stay there over night

”hi guys, uh yeah, my son had a tournament in Compton this past weekend. We stayed at the red roof inn and were shocked that we got stuck up at gunpoint after we had our continental breakfast in the morning.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Im from greenspoint and dont even recommend someone stay there over night

”hi guys, uh yeah, my son had a tournament in Compton this past weekend. We stayed at the red roof inn and were shocked that we got stuck up at gunpoint after we had our continental breakfast in the morning.”

Don't move to New Orleans: That entire city is a mix of Compton and Rio during Carnival.

Houston has always had a crime problem. Most people just got used to it. I remember we used to park at bars inside the loop, and the rule was never have anything in your car, because your car would get broken into. To the point, we would be like, "you're the idiot for having a gym bag in your car" to the car owner. It happened that often. 

22 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Houston has always had a crime problem. Most people just got used to it. I remember we used to park at bars inside the loop, and the rule was never have anything in your car, because your car would get broken into. To the point, we would be like, "you're the idiot for having a gym bag in your car" to the car owner. It happened that often. 

Yep, used to leave car doors unlocked too so that way windows didn’t get bashed in to look for things. 

Fortunately no one ever decided to piss/shit/vomit/sleep in my car.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Yep, used to leave car doors unlocked too so that way windows didn’t get bashed in to look for things. 

Fortunately no one ever decided to piss/shit/vomit/sleep in my car.

My las year in Houston (2019-2020) my car got rummaged through three or four times. I lost only pocket change and a $20 Bluetooth speaker. 

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

Why would anyone want to live where their car is broken into so regularly that they learn to live with it?

You might as well ask why would anyone want to live in a city (where a car is necessary, unlike NYC etc) because it's the same everywhere. I have come to believe life in a city where a car is necessary kinda sucks, for this reason among others, including expenses and hassles. We have too many halfass cities that still cling to suburban ideals of yards and zoning and shit transit when a city should be compact enough to live in car-free. Needing a car becomes a hidden cost you have to add to paying high rent to live in a cool neighborhood of somewhere like Houston, LA, Dallas or Austin, where that isn't the case in truly walkable cities. And again you don't have to worry about winos and crackheads smashing your window to steal a gym bag full of nothing but sweaty clothes. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hate said:

Why would anyone want to live where their car is broken into so regularly that they learn to live with it?

I'm sorry life amongst human beings is so scary, you need 3 loops to protect you.   Maybe in 5 years, you'll need to move north of Conroe to feel safe.