What the fuck is wrong with you, Houston?

52-80

On 8/22/2021 at 10:59 AM, Player said:

This one seems fishy. A couple of robbers would have better odds of a bigger score if they simply went a couple of blocks west and waited for some unsuspecting housewife to waltz out of Tiffany or something. Doing it in daylight when the odds of them being identified would be higher, also seems odd.

I wonder if it was a hit on the cop with a few wallets/watches/whatever lifted in the process to provide a smokescreen.

Someone followed them from NO and settled a score was my thinking here.

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Someone followed them from NO and settled a score was my thinking here.

It was reported the three men were gang members looking to rob people to raise bond money to get their gang buds out of jail.  The New Orleans men at the Grotto restaurant were wearing a bunch of "bling", in full view, and were sitting outside in front of the restaurant as to why they were seen and targeted.  Apparently, it's fairly common for gang thugs to rob people to raise bond money to get their boys out of jail.  

12 hours ago, Stella Link said:

It was reported the three men were gang members looking to rob people to raise bond money to get their gang buds out of jail.  The New Orleans men at the Grotto restaurant were wearing a bunch of "bling", in full view, and were sitting outside in front of the restaurant as to why they were seen and targeted.  Apparently, it's fairly common for gang thugs to rob people to raise bond money to get their boys out of jail.  

And guess what those guys do when they get out of jail?

The lesson shouldn’t be to make bond cheaper and easier, it should be to be more selective about giving bond in the first place.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Stella Link said:

I’m shocked the gang bangers did not have a fund set aside in a separate account for unexpected expenses, like bond money, incurred by fellow association members.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So I am working from home today. Kids are home because schools are closed. Wife stayed home to watch them while I work. My “office” is in the front of the house by a big front window. I hear 4 gunshots…really close). I look out the window and see this dickhead neighbor arguing with his girlfriend. This guy is pretty young, ex military (and per a neighbor, a recovering drug addict). I think his mom owns the house but she moved a couple of years back. Anyways, I go outside but am standing behind my truck. He is still arguing and then I see him picking up the casings. They argue some more and his girlfriend (and her friend) take off in their car, then he leaves (didn’t look like he was chasing them). Several neighbors come out and I find a 9mm casing he didn’t pick up. One neighbor calls cops. That was almost an hour ago and the cops still haven’t shown up.

While talking to the neighbors I discover that there was a shooting on the next street a few months ago that I didn’t know about. Apparently road rage related. Women parked in the street and the guy she had flicked off for tailgating her through the neighborhood, came back around and shot into her car. One bullet lodged into the headrest.

Time to move.

/venting

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

neighbor calls cops. That was almost an hour ago and the cops still haven’t shown up.

Yet HPD (not to mention HCSD) has plenty of time write 1,000 traffic citations per day.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So I am working from home today. Kids are home because schools are closed. Wife stayed home to watch them while I work. My “office” is in the front of the house by a big front window. I hear 4 gunshots…really close). I look out the window and see this dickhead neighbor arguing with his girlfriend. This guy is pretty young, ex military (and per a neighbor, a recovering drug addict). I think his mom owns the house but she moved a couple of years back. Anyways, I go outside but am standing behind my truck. He is still arguing and then I see him picking up the casings. They argue some more and his girlfriend (and her friend) take off in their car, then he leaves (didn’t look like he was chasing them). Several neighbors come out and I find a 9mm casing he didn’t pick up. One neighbor calls cops. That was almost an hour ago and the cops still haven’t shown up.

While talking to the neighbors I discover that there was a shooting on the next street a few months ago that I didn’t know about. Apparently road rage related. Women parked in the street and the guy she had flicked off for tailgating her through the neighborhood, came back around and shot into her car. One bullet lodged into the headrest.

Time to move.

/venting

Thoughts and prayers if his mom owns the house and permits him to continue living there. He’ll have to kill his girlfriend before HPD will enter the house. 

46 minutes ago, Bernard said:

Yet HPD (not to mention HCSD) has plenty of time write 1,000 traffic citations per day.

Bernard

Where is this happening?  I want to see it.

All I see is people driving like complete aholes weaving in and out of traffic doing 30 over the speed limit and running red lights and stop signs in their cars with fake paper tags. 

All I see is people driving like complete aholes weaving in and out of traffic doing 30 over the speed limit and running red lights and stop signs in their cars with fake paper tags. 

My paper tags are real. I think.

So constable shows up (about an hour after when they were called) but doesn’t even knock on his door. Instead will only take a statement from the guy that called 911. He took her to the casing and she collected it and said a detective would take over.

13 minutes ago, deadshank said:

HPD only writes tickets on the interstates during rush hour. 

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

My paper tags are real. I think.

So constable shows up (about an hour after when they were called) but doesn’t even knock on his door. Instead will only take a statement from the guy that called 911. He took her to the casing and she collected it and said a detective would take over.

Maybe the detective will write him a strongly worded letter??   That’s crazy, report of gunshots and she just collects the casing and leaves?

Edited by Hook1997

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Exactly. Constables are fucking worthless. Have to be lowest in the cop food chain.

Constables are POS that exist to park in residential neighborhoods and write people seatbelt tickets. 

I’ve been to a handful of HPD town halls and they seem well meaning. They’re very, very careful about entering people’s homes. If you’re a homeowner, they’re not coming in your house unless Ogg agrees to prosecute. Warrants are great, but they told us if Ogg’s office won’t take the case, they’re not going in. They claim it’s because of Texas’ strong property right laws, but reading between the lines it’s almost certainly because of the disastrous Tuttle Raid. 

I found it interesting that have so many divisions. Community Relations, Property Crimes, and a Violent Crime Suppression Task Force. The task force guys have some balls. It was two little Vietnamese guys that show up at shootings in progress. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

17 hours ago, deadshank said:

https://abc13.com/archive/7403777/

If you don’t see it, it’s likely because you’re affluent enough to be left alone. Cops bread and butter is fucking with the lower socioeconomic classes who lack the education and means to fight back.

Bernard

9 minutes ago, Bernard said:

If you don’t see it, it’s likely because you’re affluent enough to be left alone. Cops bread and butter is fucking with the lower socioeconomic classes who lack the education and means to fight back.

Bernard

Like the ones who weave in and out of traffic doing 30 over the speed limit and run red lights and stop signs in their cars with fake paper tags?

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Bernard said:

Bernard

dude, c'mon...the linked news piece is from 2010.   According to my desk pad calendar it is currently 2021.

Nowhere in that piece was affluence, lower socioeconomic classes lacking education mentioned.   Speeders and general traffic idiots span all classes and educations.  

Try again.

Edited by deadshank
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Exactly. Constables are fucking worthless. Have to be lowest in the cop food chain.

There is one who sits on Drexel in between Richmond and Westheimer.  I take it almost every day to drop my kids off at school.  All he does is write people tickets for seatbelts, expired tags, and for slow rolling stop signs.  He could actually impact safety if he would move a few hundred yards south and police people who drive 55 through our residential neighborhood on Richmond.

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

There is one who sits on Drexel in between Richmond and Westheimer.  I take it almost every day to drop my kids off at school.  All he does is write people tickets for seatbelts, expired tags, and for slow rolling stop signs.  He could actually impact safety if he would move a few hundred yards south and police people who drive 55 through our residential neighborhood on Richmond.

The last speeding ticket I got was because I was pissed at the assholes flying by me in a school zone. So I accelerated to pass them once we were out of the school zone and out into open road with nothing around. Got popped for 58 in a 50 or something like that. The weirdest part of the story was that the deputy actually listened to me when I told him why I was going that fast and said it would be nice if he'd move about 1000 yards further north and catch the people doing 45 in the 25mph school zone instead. The next week I saw him pop at least 4 cars in that school zone and traffic predictably slowed down through there for a while after that.

By the time I paid the ticket I wasn't even irritated anymore after getting the school zone traffic slowed down.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The last speeding ticket I got was because I was pissed at the assholes flying by me in a school zone. So I accelerated to pass them once we were out of the school zone and out into open road with nothing around. Got popped for 58 in a 50 or something like that. The weirdest part of the story was that the deputy actually listened to me when I told him why I was going that fast and said it would be nice if he'd move about 1000 yards further north and catch the people doing 45 in the 25mph school zone instead. The next week I saw him pop at least 4 cars in that school zone and traffic predictably slowed down through there for a while after that.

By the time I paid the ticket I wasn't even irritated anymore after getting the school zone traffic slowed down.

Thank you for your sacrifice!

Just saw on the news a couple was shot outside a place called Beirut cafe…..  Guess what else, suspect is out on bail..   I don’t get this bail thing at all.  You’re about to spend what seems like to a 21 year old the rest of your life in jail for shooting someone but you are free to go, but see you in a year or so for court..   What could go wrong?

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Just saw on the news a couple was shot outside a place called Beirut cafe…..  Guess what else, suspect is out on bail..   I don’t get this bail thing at all.  You about to spend what seems like to a 21 year old the rest of your life in jail for shooting someone but you are free to go, but see you in a year or so for court..   What could go wrong?

THE TEXAS CONSTITUTION

ARTICLE 1. BILL OF RIGHTS

Sec. 11. BAIL. All prisoners shall be bailable by sufficient sureties, unless for capital offenses, when the proof is evident; but this provision shall not be so construed as to prevent bail after indictment found upon examination of the evidence, in such manner as may be prescribed by law.

this dude in particular is subject to electronic monitoring. 

7 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Just saw on the news a couple was shot outside a place called Beirut cafe…..  Guess what else, suspect is out on bail..   I don’t get this bail thing at all.  You’re about to spend what seems like to a 21 year old the rest of your life in jail for shooting someone but you are free to go, but see you in a year or so for court..   What could go wrong?

The bail system needs reform. It needs to be severity of crime based and not wealth based. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

What are the suspect’s prior alleged offenses?

7 hours ago, elfenix said:

this dude in particular is subject to electronic monitoring. 

Was he actually being monitored? 

18 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The bail system needs reform. It needs to be severity of crime based and not wealth based. 

Show your math (no troll).  How would that work?  I agree with you that the system needs review and potential changes.  What would you propose?  

My guess is that most criminals who are actively criminalizing are normally out on bail or parole. Second, Harris County has a ridiculous backlog of cases that may take years to get back to normal. Or maybe this is the new normal. We’ve never had this many people awaiting trial so bail #s are high.

finally the reason we hear more about bail today is that the news reports know that you want to know.

How many of you read a chron murder story and skim to see the accused’s bail status?

• 2 weeks later...

So the guy who road rage killed the 17 year old leaving the Astros game because his dad wouldn't let his car in line is out on bond. Somehow came up with $35k and is back out walking around with the rest of us. Also, the funeral of the Houston cop killed by a guy out on 7 felony bonds is this morning.  This is what Mayor Turner calls "rebuilding the criminal justice ecosystem".

• Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, Lat22 said:

So the guy who road rage killed the 17 year old leaving the Astros game because his dad wouldn't let his car in line is out on bond. Somehow came up with $35k and is back out walking around with the rest of us. Also, the funeral of the Houston cop killed by a guy out on 7 felony bonds is this morning.  This is what Mayor Turner calls "rebuilding the criminal justice ecosystem".

From ABC13:
According to records, Williams was convicted of two counts of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon and served 12 years behind bars before being released in February 2020.

How does a dude that has been in jail for 12 years have $35k sitting around less than a year after getting out? Job market that hit?

Also, o really? :

This shooting is part of a growing problem in the city of Houston. In December 2020, the Harris County Sheriff's Office joined with the District Attorney's Office, the Houston Police Department, and the Texas Department of Public Safety to implement a new task force that proactively goes after violent, aggressive drivers.

It also made penalties tougher for violations

Edited by UT_OB1

14 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

From ABC13:
According to records, Williams was convicted of two counts of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon and served 12 years behind bars before being released in February 2020.

How does a dude that has been in jail for 12 years have $35k sitting around less than a year after getting out? Job market that hit?

Also, o really? :

This shooting is part of a growing problem in the city of Houston. In December 2020, the Harris County Sheriff's Office joined with the District Attorney's Office, the Houston Police Department, and the Texas Department of Public Safety to implement a new task force that proactively goes after violent, aggressive drivers.

It also made penalties tougher for violations

These guys are members of gangs, or smaller neighborhood gangs.  Their fellow gang members go out and commit robberies to raise money for bonds.  That's what the killers of the New Orleans officer at Grotto were doing.  Saw the "bling" everyone was wearing at the outside table (in full view) and they went after it...but it ended badly.

51 minutes ago, Stella Link said:

These guys are members of gangs, or smaller neighborhood gangs.  Their fellow gang members go out and commit robberies to raise money for bonds.  That's what the killers of the New Orleans officer at Grotto were doing.  Saw the "bling" everyone was wearing at the outside table (in full view) and they went after it...but it ended badly.

$35k is a big ask and really risky to raise that much through armed robberies. Methinks he's a drug dealer. 

40 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

$35k is a big ask and really risky to raise that much through armed robberies. Methinks he's a drug dealer. 

His family or buddies went to a bail bondsman.  Paid 10% or $3,500 and got the bail bondsman to post for them.

2 hours ago, ABSR said:

His family or buddies went to a bail bondsman.  Paid 10% or $3,500 and got the bail bondsman to post for them.

His bond was $350k so he needed $35k. Or are you saying it’s possible to go to a bail bondsman to pay another bondsman?  If so holy house of cards. 

18 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

His bond was $350k so he needed $35k. Or are you saying it’s possible to go to a bail bondsman to pay another bondsman?  If so holy house of cards. 

Never saw the $350K number, just the $35K amount thrown out by UT_OB1 and asking how he could get $35K to get out. 

On 9/16/2021 at 7:14 AM, deadshank said:

What are the suspect’s prior alleged offenses?

Was he actually being monitored? 

Show your math (no troll).  How would that work?  I agree with you that the system needs review and potential changes.  What would you propose?  

Sorry, way late response on my part. Apologies. Meaning, a system where it’s harder to get bail when charged with violent crime like murder. On the other hand, if it’s a non-violent crime, you shouldn’t have to stay in jail just because you can’t afford bail. The current system penalizes the poor. If you are innocent but can’t afford bail, you sit in jail until trial, might lose your job, harder to pay bills and a good lawyer if you lose your job, then you lose your case because of a shitty lawyer. Etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Sorry, way late response on my part. Apologies. Meaning, a system where it’s harder to get bail when charged with violent crime like murder. On the other hand, if it’s a non-violent crime, you shouldn’t have to stay in jail just because you can’t afford bail. The current system penalizes the poor. If you are innocent but can’t afford bail, you sit in jail until trial, might lose your job, harder to pay bills and a good lawyer if you lose your job, then you lose your case because of a shitty lawyer. Etc. 

That, on its face, sounds reasonable.  Now how could our legislature screw that up?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

That, on its face, sounds reasonable.  Now how could our legislature screw that up?

Ha. I mean, yes, they could fuck up a piece of toast. But we shouldn’t sacrifice the goal because the process is akin to lighting a bag of shit on fire. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Couldn't copy the link but just read on a news website that a 17-year-old boy stabbed his twin sister to death in Katy. What's wrong with you Houston? 

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/brown-meadow-ct-katy-harris-county-deadly-stabbing-twin-siblings-brother-sister/285-85131247-678a-42de-9384-1b4cc5e9a8d7

at least he was doing CPR

• Hook 'Em 1