What the fuck is wrong with you, Houston?

52-80

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I hate dancing. Gallant Knight is the only place I'd dance at. You do what you have to do. 

Sammy could get the whitest of whiteys on the floor and moving to the grooving.  GK was a great spot and totally safe.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Houston bars I miss: 

- Jackson Hole: What a name for a bar in the Montrose. It was a solid post college bar. It's the Pit Room now. 

- Gallant Knight on Bissonnet: I think it's an Orange Fitness now. Oh well, at least West U moms can keep it tight. 

- Jimmie's Ice House: I don't really miss it, but it was so much better than Bobcat Teddy's. 

- Vintage: Another top post college bar. Probably the best. You had to look sharp because you were absolutely going to run into people you knew. 

- Bubba's on Washington: Nice deck. Really a shitty bar. Their pot roast came out of nowhere and surprised you. We'd have rush parties there to recruit in Houston. Yeah, I didn't ask about the logistics, and I wasn't in leadership, so I think I'm square with the TABC. 

Honorable mention: Sherlock’s. It was a chain, but a solid pub and much needed in certain parts of town. 

Solid list. Big Woodrows was great for game watching but ruined by being an lsu bar, for sure. 

I still think about vintage whenever I’m at Trader Joe’s, the ramshackle is still there I believe. 

Bubba’s, whoever mentioned it, has been reincarnated into some other sports bar wi  the a name I forget. But it was a solid Sparta bar. 

I’ll miss Alice’s Tall Texan until I die. 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Solid list. Big Woodrows was great for game watching but ruined by being an lsu bar, for sure. 

I still think about vintage whenever I’m at Trader Joe’s, the ramshackle is still there I believe. 

Bubba’s, whoever mentioned it, has been reincarnated into some other sports bar wi  the a name I forget. But it was a solid Sparta bar. 

I’ll miss those goblets of Shiner at Alice’s. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Which became XIT for a spell.  I do recall those days.

For another spell it was a California Pizza Kitchen too, I believe.

I think I spent a St. Patty's day back when it was still Birraporetti's, one of the last years, drinking green drinks in that parking lot. 

51 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

I'll just say that I didn't do enough bar crawling in Houston when I first moved here in 1989.  Got married in 1992 and that was that.  Don't know many (any) of these places.  

Went to Marfreless for the first time in the 90s.  Let's just say it held up to its storied reputation....

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

50 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ll miss those goblets of Shiner at Alice’s. 

A friend if mine was in there one time and there was a hand-written sign behind the bar:

BANNED: THE ENTIRE RODRIGUEZ FAMILY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I think I spent a St. Patty's day back when it was still Birraporetti's, one of the last years, drinking green drinks in that parking lot. 

Birrapiretti's on West Gray was one of my favorite places.  Very sad when it closed.

8 hours ago, Spoetzl said:

Gallant Knight was a house on Holcombe for years. Moved to where Timberwolf was on Bissonnet & Kirby (both places were great and safe).  My older brother was in town for the first time in a while and I took him to Timberwolf (he’d never been).  We walked in and the dwarf came out of the bathroom on rollerblades and skated to the bar.  My brother looked at me and said “well, it can only go downhill from here.”

Someone mentioned Vintage (on Kipling), that place was a shithole.  Ask Huge.

Better question is who remembers Birraporetti’s on West Gray?

Hops House on Hwy 6 used to be amazing, as was Big John’s Icehouse (at least in high school).  I was served the last Lone Star at Kay’s (/csb).  And TK Bitterman’s will always have a place in my heart.

Big Band Fridays.  I remember. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I had one of my first underage beers at Birra Poretti's; my aunts, much closer to sisters to me age-wise, were regulars and they'd get me in when I was 14. (I looked older and the age was still 19)

It was was also a tradition for us to  go there late-ish on Thanksgiving nights and eat something other than turkey.

8 hours ago, Spoetzl said:

Someone mentioned Vintage (on Kipling), that place was a shithole.  Ask Huge.

I'm sure I don't remember what you are talking about.

The spot I liked after college was Ale House (W Alabama and Kirby).  It's where I ran my first "$150+ oh shit I can't afford this" tab.  Whatever, it was worth it.

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i wasn't aware that birra poretti's was some hidden gem that only those who know know. 

In the late 90s the West Gray location was a hangout spot.  I think it had died by the time you came around.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

A friend if mine was in there one time and there was a hand-written sign behind the bar:

BANNED: THE ENTIRE RODRIGUEZ FAMILY

Yeah, that place definitely brought in the fringe lunatics. Almost every time I was there somebody would be ranting/holding court with the other bar flies. 

47 minutes ago, huge said:

I'm sure I don't remember what you are talking about.

The spot I liked after college was Ale House (W Alabama and Kirby).  It's where I ran my first "$150+ oh shit I can't afford this" tab.  Whatever, it was worth it.

Hopefully your "holy fucking shit, I spent how much?" tab was at TMC or Treasures. 

Yeah 5th ward is easily the most hood part of Texas. That shit wont be like midtown or even near-northside till the early 2100s
Not so fast

https://abc13.com/amp/east-river-project-development-houston-buffalo-bayou/10977069/

And this thread has turned into a walk down memory lane, GK, Timberwolves, Marque what was the sports bar across the street? The Volcano, drawing a bal k vut that ppace thay was over off eastside country bar that's no longer there. Good times and shepard plaza started kicking off then too

6 minutes ago, Smax said:

Not so fast

https://abc13.com/amp/east-river-project-development-houston-buffalo-bayou/10977069/

And this thread has turned into a walk down memory lane, GK, Timberwolves, Marque what was the sports bar across the street? The Volcano, drawing a bal k vut that ppace thay was over off eastside country bar that's no longer there. Good times and shepard plaza started kicking off then too

South of i10 is not what i consider 5th ward. Its also vastly different than north of i10. Just my opinion

Edited by GreenspointTexas

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Anyone going to wax about La Strada? I know @huge was a fan. I believe that was actually just before my time. 

Sunday brunch at La Strada always led to a great time (and a rough Monday morning). My last time there was at some point during the late 90s - early 2000s. That timeline is a bit blurry.

Edited by KaiserSoze
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, KaiserSoze said:

Sunday brunch at La Strada always led to a great time (and a rough Monday morning). My last time there was at some point during the late 90s - early 2000s. That timeline is a bit blurry.

Yep.  Pitchers of jello shots and public lewdness go hand in hand.

I did La Strada 3 years in a row on Super Sunday.  It always ended in bad decisions.

Edited by huge
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

South of i10 is not what i consider 5th ward. Its also vastly different than north of i10. Just my opinion

These hippie friends of my hippie parents but a whole neighborhood south of Clinton circa 1990. They live in the big house and he rents out five or ten more to artsy types. They have full moon bonfires, raise organic produce, and used to raise goats for cheese and tacos. (Not sure why the shut down the goat operation -- they'd have a party every year so the young billy goats could have a fun day with children before the Taco Truck Man came for them.)

Neighborhood is called Japhet Creek...Jim, the owner, was telling me that when he first moved there, gunfire was heard nightly -- everything from 22 pistols to AKs and Uzis. It's real quiet now.

The fact is the Fifth, while really bad, is nowhere close to as rough as it was for most of the 20th Century, for the simple reason that so much of it has been torn down. It was as rough as anything New Orleans put out there, but here's the thing: so was Fourth Ward, and now we call that Midtown. 

But back in the '60s, there were very wise words:

1 minute ago, Smax said:
34 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Cool but it is 5th ward

Fifth Ward extends all the way down to the area around Baker Street Jail and includes most of what is called Near Northside. At some point that became first the white and then the Mexican Fifth Ward and so people gave it a new name when the idea came into being that only Black people lived in Wards.

I love telling new homebuyers in Montrose "Welcome to Fourth Ward." Some of them think it's funny, others will deny that Montrose was ever in Fourth Ward and try to fight you over it. It was, but barely -- only some of it had been built when the Wards were retired from official use. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I had one of my first underage beers at Birra Poretti's; my aunts, much closer to sisters to me age-wise, were regulars and they'd get me in when I was 14. (I looked older and the age was still 19)

It was was also a tradition for us to  go there late-ish on Thanksgiving nights and eat something other than turkey.

Went there on Monday nights back in 91 and 92.  Good specials and Ed Gerlach's big band would play.

Damn I would get drunk. CPA work was no fun the next day.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was a fan of the Fabulous Satellite Lounge on Washington. One of the best places to see live music. I recall seeing Cowboy Mouth or Mojo Nixon until late in the night. Usually a Wednesday.

Thanks for someone explaining the Gallant Knight having 2 locations. I was thoroughly confused by people saying it was recently open. I recalled it not lasting long on Holcombe after Sammy left to open/front his own place. It was one of a handful of bars that basically was a former house. 

A few other places that I hit up frequently in that timeline are Volcano's (Under the Volcano), Big Ass Beer night at Outback bar, and Club No Minor at El Patio.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

These fucking Harris County judges:

Ogg revealed that both men were out on bond for previous crimes, also lamenting that fact during the event.

"It should surprise no one, at this point in Harris County, Texas, that both individuals were already out on bond," Ogg said.

According to the district attorney, Jackson was already out for an aggravated robbery from 2020 in which he allegedly followed someone home from the Galleria area. His bond was forfeited earlier this year, and earlier this month, Jackson failed to appear for a court hearing, which, in its wake, led to the discovery that his ankle monitor was cut off.

Police further stated the two men are also connected to other robberies in the area, specifically targeting people for high-end jewelry. All indications from Briscoe's killing showed the shooting stemmed from a robbery gone bad, police said.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:
18 hours ago, mycox said:
Yeah, that dive was was on Holcombe. It reopened on Bissonet in 2008. Wasn't the same

Speaking of, is the marquis still around?

image.thumb.jpeg.cc44d85ef940709a0c2242f16b18e5ec.jpeg

drove by a couple of months ago and had a rush of flashbacks.  Man those Midori Teas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I had never heard about YSB or 103....here's an article from a couple of years ago.

The article states about 20,000 gang members and over 300 gangs in H-town.  

'Gang war' spreads in southeast Houston with dozens killed in recent years

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Gang-war-spreads-in-southeast-Houston-with-13961502.php

18 hours ago, Jeffrey said:

Kay's

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

This! I stopped by Kay's virtually every night I left work at KTRK. Eldon, Annie, and Lois were like family. Dave Ward would come down the hallway all the time to get a head count of who was going to Kay's Lounge that night. Occasionally we go across the street to drink frozen screwdrivers with Rudy T at Under the Volcano, but Kay's was always home.  

8 hours ago, Lat22 said:

These fucking Harris County judges:

Ogg revealed that both men were out on bond for previous crimes, also lamenting that fact during the event.

"It should surprise no one, at this point in Harris County, Texas, that both individuals were already out on bond," Ogg said.

According to the district attorney, Jackson was already out for an aggravated robbery from 2020 in which he allegedly followed someone home from the Galleria area. His bond was forfeited earlier this year, and earlier this month, Jackson failed to appear for a court hearing, which, in its wake, led to the discovery that his ankle monitor was cut off.

Police further stated the two men are also connected to other robberies in the area, specifically targeting people for high-end jewelry. All indications from Briscoe's killing showed the shooting stemmed from a robbery gone bad, police said.

Ogg bitching about the multiple felony bond thing is irony at it's finest.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was a fan of the Fabulous Satellite Lounge on Washington. One of the best places to see live music. I recall seeing Cowboy Mouth or Mojo Nixon until late in the night. Usually a Wednesday.

Thanks for someone explaining the Gallant Knight having 2 locations. I was thoroughly confused by people saying it was recently open. I recalled it not lasting long on Holcombe after Sammy left to open/front his own place. It was one of a handful of bars that basically was a former house. 

A few other places that I hit up frequently in that timeline are Volcano's (Under the Volcano), Big Ass Beer night at Outback bar, and Club No Minor at El Patio.

Did the Gallant Knight house band briefly move to Local Pour off of West Gray? I don't know what year it was but I popped in there on a Saturday night and there was a funk band breaking the heat. 

Not so fast

Oh man, the wolf. That's a name I haven't heard in a long time.