Your top 5 music talents of all time

markstanco

I would never put Donald Fagen on that list.  I'd certainly put Bob Dylan ahead of Donald Fagen, and I don't particularly like Bob Dylan, and I love Steely Dan.

It's kind of an absurd exercise.  For one thing, it pretty much demands an encyclopedic knowledge of music history, and one not just limited to Western music.  That pretty much eliminates every one of us (and certainly myself) from being able to weigh in with any defensible argument.  

DISCLAIMER:  this is assuming the original post didn't really mean "who are the top 5 talents of musicians you've paid attention to".  If that was the question, then all of these responses get a lot more reasonable.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd certainly put Bob Dylan ahead of Donald Fagen, and I don't particularly like Bob Dylan, and I love Steely Dan.

Dylan was/is an incredible writer. Fagen has an ear and an attention to detail that few possess. Apples vs. Oranges and to your point, this is hard to argue 1 vs. the other.

Unrelated, did anyone mention Sir George Martin? His contributions to The Beatles (arrangement/composition) could easily be compared to the works of Mozart.

Yeah there's maybe one or two rock and roll guys that would be own that list. The rest are jazz or classical musicians.  

Dylan over Fagan or Lennon Mc Cartney and I love all of them.  Brian Wilson over Dylan, the kid was a musical savant .  

EDIT: Dylan over Mc Cartney ?  May be a stretch, but the man did things with music, and lyrics, can't sing for shit and still created  amazing music on several levels of appreciation.  Mc Cartney dId some stuff later in the Beatles that was down right stupid. When I'm 64 type stuff.  

Hell G. Harrison showed in his solo career that he takes no back seat to either Lennon or Mc Cartney.

Edited by Onboard 2.0